Air pockets left on the wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2000
I wonder if there are any air pockets left on the wreck? Perhaps inside the piston of the high pressure cylinder, or deep within a tank along the keel. A tiny bit of the cold night air from 4/15/12. I'm not talking a large volume of course, but maybe just a bubble or two.

Yuri

Mar 3, 1998
There's air down there, but it's not 90 years old. And an intact light bulb, too. Truth can be stranger than fiction.

Parks

Jul 14, 2000
Why wouldn't it be 90 years old? How could 'fresh' air be introduced to the wreck at that depth? I can't recall seeing any bubbles coming from submersibles. I'm confused Parks.

Yuri

Mar 3, 1998
Yuri,

I'm talking minute quantities, really nothing to get excited about. At depth, air trapped in unseen places on the ROVs finds its way out. I saw this happen once. Again, I'm not talking about anything of quantity, but you said a bubble or two...

Parks

Jul 14, 2000
Wouldn't any trapped oxygen be consumed by the oxidizing hull and incorporated into rust anyway? Either way, I have to agree that there likely isn't any air pockets trapped in the wreck from 1912.

Yuri

B

Brian Hawley

Their is air trapped in the battle ship Arizona. Most of the air divers have seen is trapped in the ships tightly sealed deadlights. While the pressure at Titanic's depth would not allow this and certainly there is a considerable difference in temperature conditions, and length of time on the bottom. I also doubt that any air is left in Titanic, but it is interesting to consider that at shallow water depths it is possible for air to remain for decades.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.