Aircraft Carrier Yorktown

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mirriam Wood

Friday, June 8th:

I live on the West Coast (USA). I seem to be in the minority, but if anyone is interested, or it's showing in your area, "National Georgraphic Explorer" airs at 8:00 p.m. tonight (in 30 minutes) the following:
Dr. Robert Ballard's "Search For The Sunken Aircraft Carrier 'Yorktown' - Casualty of the Battle of Midway".

Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Best,
Mirriam

Jan 31, 2001
Hello,

I caught that program about two years ago and enjoyed it. Wish I'd caught this thread sooner!

-B.W.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Brandon, you and me both! I've seen the program in it's entirity once, and at that, several months ago. Today, I missed an opportunity to tape that Discovery thing on the Edmund Fitzgerald. I caught the last half hour of it.

It was a pity that Ballard & Co. didn't find one of the Japanese carriers that bought the farm during that little party. I understand a peice of the I.M.S. Kaga has been found since then.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

May 5, 2001
*** ATTENTION MICHAEL STANDART & BRANDON WHITED ***​

The National Geographic special you are inquiring about is called "The search for the battle of midway", it is available on VHS and probably DVD for $19.99...I had it in my hand this week but funds were low so I had to put it back but intend on making it part of my already growing NG tape collection soon.

It really is an excellent piece of history to view!

Regards and forever helpful,
Bill

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
I bought the National Geographic video quite a while back, when it was first released. While it does give a nice history on the Battle of Midway, there's just a scant amount of footage of the sunken Yorktown. I was a bit put off by it. Along with the sinking Titanic and the 1930 Olympic, I've also been building a diorama of Yorktown's wreck (I keep myself busy to say the least), but the video wasn't of much help. They keep showing the pilothouse, and then bits of wreckage that you can't tell what the heck it is. I'd buy it for the history lesson rather than pictures of a sunken ship.

Josh.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks Bill. I may go ahead and buy it one of these days.

Joshua, you might find the book written by National Geographic to be of more use as they had a good paintingof the Yorktown as she lies today along with a few more photos.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Michael,
I already have it.
happy.gif

It's a handy dandy reference I'd be lost without on this project.

Josh.

May 5, 2001
I bought the National Geographic video quite a while back, when it was first released. While it does give a nice history on the Battle of Midway, there's just a scant amount of footage of the sunken Yorktown. I was a bit put off by it. Along with the sinking Titanic and the 1930 Olympic, I've also been building a diorama of Yorktown's wreck (I keep myself busy to say the least), but the video wasn't of much help. They keep showing the pilothouse, and then bits of wreckage that you can't tell what the heck it is. I'd buy it for the history lesson rather than pictures of a sunken ship.

Hi ya Josh, Umm I agree with you, when I first heard that this was going to be aired, I ran out and brought a spanking new tape to tape it on and did and I was disappointed.....not with the history of Midway but with Ballard's part of the presentation, it was way below his standards and I guess that isn't fair because when he found THE TITANIC, he was truly ahead of his game...let's face it, once you've found the Titanic, any other shipwreck kinda leaves you cold. But the same thing happened on the recent PEARL HARBOR: legacy of attack video, the history of the attack was absolutely moving but his effort to find the mini-sub turned up zilcho.

I dunno Josh, I guess we Titanicans just expect too much from Mr. Ballard......but hey, he found The Big T, so that was something eh?

Regards,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.