Akerman

Oct 24, 2011
Looking for info on 3rd class steward Albert AKERMAN body never recovered and Joseph Francis AKERMAN (Brothers)Assistant Pantry Steward whose body was recovered by Mackay-Bennett Number 205.My research into these people are very limited.I am tracing my Maternal side ancestry of the AKERMAN family.Would anybody have any more details or photos of these two.Regards Dave Griffiths}

Apr 27, 2003
Hello Dave - I hope the below might help?

Cheers Brian

Akerman, Albert. 25 Rochester Street, Northam, Southampton. Steward. 28. (Salisbury, Wiltshire).
Note name spelt wrongly on gravestone.
Named on the left hand panel of the St. Augustines Church Memorial, (Maritime Museum) Southampton.
(and his brother)
Akerman, Joseph Frank. 25 Rochester Street, Northam, Southampton. Assistant Pantryman. 35. (Salisbury, Wiltshire).
Named on the left hand panel of the St. Augustines Church Memorial, (Maritime Museum) Southampton.
Body number 205. - Male. Estimated age 44. Dark hair, light moustache. Clothing:- Grey overcoat; check pants, green coat and vest; tooth brush; discharges from Oceanic. Interred at Fairview Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia).
In memoriam, The Hampshire Independent, Saturday, April 17, 1915:
In loving memory of Joseph Frank the beloved husband of Kate Akerman who lost his life through the foundering of the Titanic, April 15th, 1912.
. . . Though lost to sight, to memory ever dear.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 291. Akerman, Emily Kate, Widow. Akerman, Lily, (child). Akerman, Gladys, (child). Akerman, Willie, (child). Akerman, May, (child). Akerman, Herbert, (child). Akerman, (child). All class G dependants.
(From the Salisbury Journal, April 20th, 1912, page 12).
Two brothers, Frank and Albert Akerman, the sons of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Akerman of the Almshouses, London Road, Salisbury, were also on the Titanic, being employed in the catering department of the White Star Line. They were born in Salisbury, but Frank Akerman, who was married, and had five children, had a home at Southampton, Neither of their sons, said Mrs. Akerman, would have been on the Titanic but for the coal strike, in consequence of which they had had no work for some time, so were compelled to accept jobs on this boat''.
Mr. and Mrs. Akerman, of the Almshouses, have not received any official intimation as to the fate of their sons, Albert and Frank, who were employed in the catering department of the vessel. The Bishop called upon Mr. and Mrs. Akerman on Sunday and offered his sympathy.