Albert Adrian Dick and Vera Dick

A

Arne Mjåland

In Calgary Herald August 26 1996 there was an interview with Mr. Bruce van Norman. Van Norman s grandmother was Vera Dick on the Titanic. According to van Norman, Vera was saved because she would not go in the boats without her husband.
The daughter to the couple Dick, Gilda, died in Calgary at age 77 in 1992.
According to the obituary about Vera Dick in the Albertian Oct 7 1973, she had three great grandchildren. They must be children to Bruce van Norman?

A

Alan Hustak

They are. Last I heard they live in Seattle. There are several stories about how they were saved. Gilda told me that during the trip, a young steward had a crush on her mother, much to Bert Dick's annoyance...it was the steward that saw to it that both Mr. and Mrs. Dick were saved.

A

Alan Hustak

To my delight, I have just discovered an account of the sinking by Bert and Vera Dick published by Maclean's Magazine, May 1, 1950 - "When That Great Ship Went Down" by Ray Gardner. Kinda pre-dates Walter's book. For those interested, there is also another piece from Maclean's,Nov 21, 1959, by Sir James Bissitt, "I watched the Titanic Rescue..."

J

John M. Feeney

Alan: Good finds! Is Bisset's article basically a promotion for "Tramps and Ladies" (same year), or is it a quite independent "telling"?

A

Alan Hustak

It is an independent telling, John. No metion of Tramps and Ladies, all it says is that he was known as "Lucky Bisset, who went to sea at the age of 15. In all of my dealings with the Dicks I never heard tell before that Bert "had been badly clipped by professional gamblers in Naples..." Maybe that is why is wife was cheesed off at him aboard Titanic.

J

John M. Feeney

Thanks, Alan: Regarding Bert's gambling misadventure and any subsequent familial fallout -- Yep, I imagine that could do it! :)

(Time for some new Inter-library loan requests.)

A

Alan Hustak

You can find both accounts in a book called In the Face of Disaster, True Stories of Canadian Heroism from the Archives of Mcleans, published by Penquin books. isbn-0-14-028804-x

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
56388 579555c5a7e6b83dfccfb2b7df99c9bf

Vera Dick's birth date is invariably given as 1894, and she was 17 on the Titanic. This means she would have been just 16 when she married Albert Adrian Dick. While not impossible this does seem quite unlikely.

Her death certificate gives her date of birth as 12 June 1894, her grave gives 1894 as the year and her death notice in the Calgary Herald gives her age as 79. These all point to her being 17 on the Titanic.

But the 1901 Canada census gives her age as 9, the 1906 Calgary Census as 15, and the 1921 Census of Canada as 29. Most convincingly perhaps, an Ontario birth record lists the birth of Vera Thurold Gillespie with a date of 12 June 1891. If this is the correct person then Vera would have been nearly 21 when she was on the Titanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Baber, Thomas Krom, Jason D. Tiller and 1 other person
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Most convincingly perhaps, an Ontario birth record lists the birth of Vera Thurold Gillespie with a date of 12 June 1891
Great bit of research Phil. I agree that a bona fide birth record like that is by far the most convincing, even more so than a paper Birth Certificate that a person had. The latter can be - and have been known to be - doctored in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas Krom and Encyclopedia Titanica