Albert Caldwell 1965 They said that the Titanic could not Sink

Jun 4, 2004
For those of you interested in having a copy of this booklet "Women of the Titanic Disaster" by Mrs. A.F. Caldwell (1912). I have converted a copy of an original to a .pdf file. It contains all 13 pages, as well as, some text appended to my copy. It is 1.28 mb and you will probably need the latest version of the Adobe reader to view the file. This is free and can be downloaded:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

I will try to send this evening the file out to those who have emailed requesting a copy. This may be a convenient way to exchange documents, newspaper clipping, etc. It may save postage, but you have to spend about $250 for the software.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thank you, Charles, for sharing the article - and to Phil for putting it on the site. Another very interesting source and the fruits of a researcher's work made accesible to all of us! As one of its many facets, ET is without doubt the best on-line archival repository of primary material - and it rivals any non-electronic based archive in either America or Europe.

Jun 4, 2004
Although this might better be placed in a new discussion, I wonder whether anyone can tell me when the famous quote "Not even God could sink this ship" stated to my grandmother, Sylvia H. Caldwell, first appeared in print? If it was Lord's book in 1955, I find it strange that it would not have appeared in my grandparent's earlier accounts. As Sylvia's writing in the booklet discussed above will attest, she and my grandfather were very religious people in 1912. They were returning on the Titanic from missionary work in Siam and my grandfather is called Rev. A.F. Caldwell in Washington Dodge's address to the Commonwealth Club. Since they presented their stories "from the pulpit", I would have expected that they would have used this quote as an example of man's folly or arrogance. I suspect this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but I just had to ask.

C

carolyn mchenry elwess

Hello to all,
I have had the pleasure of researching the Caldwell family for several years now and am glad that I finally found this message center. I must say that I was very excited when Charles Caldwell tracked me down. He has supplied me with several photos and with some corrections that have been most helpful. I have a goodly amount of material on Albert and Sylvia here at Park University including photos of their school days. The Titanic exhibition is now here in Kansas City and a story board with a photo of the Caldwells taken one month after the sinking (photo generously supplied by Charles Caldwell) is part of the display. I will try to answer any questions you all may have although Charles is certainly more expert on his grandparents' later lives. Regards, Carolyn Elwess

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi Carolyn,

Just wanted to tell you Charles and I have been emailing a bit back and forth and he told me about your article. He sent me a portion of it and you write VERY well!

The story of his grandparents is quite extraordinary, especially all the 'differences' in some accounts. Apparently, some were worried about the 'stigma' of being a man who survived that night.

Best regards,
Cook

C

carolyn mchenry elwess

Hello, Pat,
Thank you for the review -- the article will appear in Titanic International's Voyage 35 which will be out soon.

The Caldwells were very interesting people and there are still some facts I would like to uncover -- one being the article or essay entitled "They Said that the Titanic Couldn't Sink." Perhaps Charles will find some reference to it on those audio tapes. Those may also reveal other bits such as what cabin they had and information about the Sunday evening hymn singing. Both Caldwells were involved in musical activities here at Park and throughout their lives, especially Albert. If you find out anything in your research please let me know! I have found that new information can be lurking around any corner. My personal email is [email protected]
Carolyn