Albert Dick Calgary Location

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Quick question: in one of the TITANIC COMMUTATORs, there is an article on Albert and Vera Dick. In that article, there is a picture of the building, in Calgary, where Albert Dick's business ventures were based.

Does anyone know what year that picture was taken, where that building is located, and if that building is still standing?

I thougt it looked to be close to the Eau Claire Market area, as a building in the background is a modern office building.
Most information mentions one of the streets, but it is simply "8th Street" (exact street number not recalled).

I will be able to cite the COMMUTATOR issue next week, and scan the picture, as well, after I get home. Right now I am in Washington DC.

BTW, BW to JT from HB.
smile.gif
grin.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Here are two images of Calgary, taken circa 1912, and recently, showing the building where Albert's Office was located:
95041.jpg

95042.jpg

In the top picture, I believe, is Albert's Hotel, the Alexandria.

In May, I'll have to look for the Office building.

The pictures appear in the Titanic Commutator, Volume 25, Number 156, 2001.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Update: I think the picture of Albert Dick's Office building is along 9th Avenue; however, I think the location I saw was on the south side of the street, and the view would not be looking to Downtown Calgary.
The 8th & 9th Avenue business district, east of Downtown & west of Highway 2, is still quite prosperous.

I also saw the Dick home. The street address listed is incorrect; also, on the biography page it is listed as being on 7th Avenue, but it is actually on 7th Street. In both Calgary and Edmonton number avenues run east-west, while number streets run north-south.
I'm not sure if the incorrect address is a deliberate deception; in "The Canadian Story", the street is correctly identified.

The front of the property is now lined with trees, as I think the current owners would prefer that people not try to take pictures of the Grand Staircase design of the steps. I took some pictures from the street (the trees are thin, now, but may soon block the street view); will have to see how the pictures turn out.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi John,

Thanks for the update! Great to hear you saw the house and the incorrect address is most likely a honest mistake. It must have been quite a thrill to visit it.

I look forward to seeing the photos.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Jason.

The pictures should be ready on Sunday; will see how they develop. The out door staircase may or may not be hidden/obscured by the cloud cover, on May 14th.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
The out door staircase may or may not be hidden/obscured by the cloud cover, on May 14th.

That should have read "The out door staircase may or may not be hidden/obscured by the trees, when I took the picture on May 14th."

The trees might have been recently planted, or had not yet fully bloomed. If anyone is going to be in or around Calgary in the next few months, the Mont Royal District is just south of 17th Avenue, southwest of the Calgary Tower and the Palliser Hotel.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Update: unfortunately, the first roll of film, from my Canada trip, did not come out. That role included my picture of the Dick home, on 7th Street.

I'll have to plan for a future trip to Calgary, and this time I'll bring along a digital camera. I'll also schedule in an extra day in the City, instead of having a 3-hour trip the day after I arrive.
With luck, I can also get the City of Toronto to allow one of their representatives to join me for an "IF ALBERT & ARTHUR WERE IN A JOINT VENTURE" Project.
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi John,

That's unfortunate that your roll of film did not turn out, I was looking forward to seeing the photo of the Dick home.

"With luck, I can also get the City of Toronto to allow one of their representatives to join me for an "IF ALBERT & ARTHUR WERE IN A JOINT VENTURE" Project."

Yes, I think that can be arranged. It would be a great trip and I would be very pleased to join you.
happy.gif
grin.gif

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

May 1, 2004
I'm glad Jason is going. Since I'm the wrong gender, I don't believe I could do Arthur justice.

However, I could use a vacation.

Jason, do you think Mayor Miller might chip in a grant?