Alex Cooley

• Thread starter Alexander John Cooley
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexander John Cooley

Well I have found that it was

Well I have found that it was rude of me to not introduce my self to all you fine women, and Gentelmen of the community. So I fegure it is now or never. WEll here it goes.

Hello

I am Alexander Cooley and I live in the North United States of America in the western hemisphere. My intrest in the Great and beautiful ship was back in 1988 when I Was the age of two and was looking in my fathers "The National Geographic Society: 100 Years of adventure and discovery" Book on page 240 - 241 which is a painting by Pierre Mion. There is a passage which I will like to share with you and it is every thing containing to the articles or it is the articles in the book.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
To the layman, Alvin's most dramatic voyage of discovery was not to observe strange new forms of life, but, in 1986 to bear witness to the grim specter of a legendary death. A year earlier, on September 1, 1986, in the North Atlantic, Argo, a search vehicle containing video cameras, side-scan sonar, a computerized timing system, and a host of other electronic gear, was being towed behind the U.S. Navy research vessel Knorr. Suddenly their first ghostly images of a once-majestic ship were displayed on the Knorr's video screens. "I cannot believe my eyes," Robert Ballard reported in the December 1985
Geographic:

From the abyss two and a half miles beneath the sea the bow of a great vessel emerges in ghostly detail. I have never seen the ship--nor has anyone for 73 years--yet I know nearly every feature of her. She is S.S. Titanic, the luxury liner lost after collision with an iceberg in 1912 at a cost of 1,522 lives.
The sea has preserved her well...the lines of the deck's teak planking are visible beneath a thin coating of "snow" formed by remains of marine organisms. Other features stand out in the strobe lights of our wowed undersea vehicle. Twin anchor chains run from windlasses...beneath a tangle of cables to hawsepipes near the bow. A ventilator shaft lies open between the chains. and capstan heads stand on either side....

On different camera passes across the field of debris, bottles of wine, bed springs, chamber pots, bits of twisted railing, boiler coal, a metal serving platter all showed up on film. But it wasn't until the return trip, a year later, that Alvin, and its pilots, Ralph Hollis and Dudley Foster and Robert Ballard, Descended 45,500 feet to view the Titanic for themselves. "My first direct view of the Titanic lasted less than two minutes, but the stark sight of her immense black hull towering above the ocean floor will remain forever ingrained in my memory," Ballard wrote in 1986, then added:

In a way I am sad we found her. After 33 hours of exploring her dismembered hulk, we know her fate, and it is not a pretty sight. though still impressive in her dimensions, she is no longer the graceful lady that sank a mere five days into her maiden voyage , in 1912.... Her beauty has fades, her massive steel plates are dissolving in rivers of rust, and her ornate woodwork has been devoured by an army of countless wood-boring organisms whose hollow calcium tubes now litter her barren shape. After years of gluttony the creatures starved and dropped dead at the table. I have no sympathy of them; they robbed Titanic of her last touch of elegance/
Titanic's band has long since ceased to play, she is gone. home ported at last, she will surly never be raised.

As stunning and romantic as was the adventure os seeing the Titanic with my own eyes, Ballard recognizes the Limitations man's presence imposes:

The day is fast approaching when that job can be done faster and better withouts man's physical presence at sea....Until recently there has been no way of duplicating...man's sophisticated eyes and brain and articulating hands to solve complex problems or perform difficult tasks. Whatever the cost, and the risks, of transporting man into the deep, it has been worth it.
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
- Article can be found among others on pages 236 - 239 and on pages 240 - 241 is the picture that I as a 2 year old has seen and has been placed under the spell by.

The book has on the back of it a number.

"ISBN 0-8109-8135-1"

Top Bar-Code number 9000
Bottom Bar-Code number
9 780810 981355

1-888-647-6733 > National Geographic Book dept.

URl: http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Society-Adventure-Discovery/dp/0810982196
could not find on the home site of http://www.nationalgeographic.com

So that is how I had became interested in the Titanic. I did not learn the name of the ship until I was age 8 years. which was a agonizing 6 years later of seeing some models of her, some pictures of her, and some other memorabilia of her and asking what is the name of the vessel and being told "OMFG You are a F'ing Retard! You don't know the name of the ship? Well I am not going to tell you!" Or "Well uh... I don't know the name of the ship dear. Sorry!" And some times "Not for people like you! You are special and you should not know the name of such a ship.. You will become one of them ""Brainless idiots"" *Truth be told.. I do enjoy being a "Brainless idiot" * " And such. I just happened to be looking over my fathers shoulders as he was flipping through the book and he had came upon the same picture that has grabbed me and the spell has started back up and very strong so I had the burning urge to ask my father:
June / 4 / 1994 some time during the night.

Me: "Dad! What is the name of that ship?"
My father: "It's the Titanic."
Me: "Thaitanic?"
My father: "TI-TAN-IC!"
Me: "Titanic? as in T-I-T-A-N-I-C ?"
My father: "Yes"
Me: "What happened to it?"
My father: "It hit a iceberg."
Me: "A Ice Bird?"
My father was patent with me after all I was only 8 years old
My father: "A Ice! BURG"
He started to do some gurgling noises to emphasize the "G" in "Burg"

After that night... I had gone back to that trail that I was pointed down to in that little conversation and I have taken a deep breath and said "Well Titanic,, Here I go and I am going to start learning as much about you as I possibly can." And now years later as I am now far down that same path and it is 13 years and one day later since that night and I have came very far down the path. Now here and I am posting this Biography on me and my interests of the R.M.S. Titanic.

So I do hope you appreciate this biography. I know it to be a true testament of this area of my own life.

Thank you.

Shea Sweeney

Dec 6, 2006
Yes, good to join you Alex. My interest started in the same way - one book I got my hands on at a very young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.