Alexander Carlisle

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Welcome to ET Lorna Alexander! Great to have such an connection to shipbuilding history!

There were actually old photos of the Titanic in our old family home ,but they were destroyed when we moved in the sixties ! The Titanic wasn't really famous then !

Not to be rude, what do you mean by "destroyed"? Do you mean they were purposely destroyed (possibly out of respect or shame of the disaster) or was it by accident?

Aug 27, 2017
Welcome to ET Lorna Alexander! Great to have such an connection to shipbuilding history!

Not to be rude, what do you mean by "destroyed"? Do you mean they were purposely destroyed (possibly out of respect or shame of the disaster) or was it by accident?
Hi Martin , my grandfather wrote everything,and there were lots of papers where he'd written about everything from his job in Harland and Wolf to hair restoration! A lot of it was stored in an old coach house hayloft . These were all mixed with photos ,many of ships with the Titanic amongst them . When we moved in the late sixties it was all cleared out .
Remember the Titanic was just a disaster that had happened ,memorabilia wasn't important or worth anything then .
I remember some of the photos as they were Sepia and quite large and as a child I can remember the furniture in it was very opulent. I wish I had those photos now !
I have been to see the Titanic Centre and my Grandfathers name and wages are in a display cabinet with Alexander Carlisle ! Which was a surprise to see . I think it's his writing too as he had quite a distinct style . Our house was called "Carleol " which is Scottish for Carlisle . So he seemed to have great admiration for him !
He was friends with Lord Pierre and his wife too . They all had gone to Belfast Royal Academy school together .
Looking back though , I have to say it seemed to be a bit of a clique, as all the top jobs seemed to have gone to The Belfast Academy ! I never knew my grandfather as he died long before I was born .

Reactions: 1 users