Alfred Cotton

Dave Cotton

Jul 18, 2010
Alfred Cotton was my paternal Grandfather. I have been trying to find out information about him. At the time of his death he had two children, my father;William and his brother Charles. After Alfred's death his wife could not keep two children at home and my father was sent to live with relatives, she remarried and sadly, he and his mother were never close again. My father did not wish to discuss his father with me.The 1901 population census indicates that Alfred was born in 1861 at (T)Sitchfield Common in the civil parish of St.Mary's near Southampton. This census shows his profession as a Ships Fireman. This would put his age at death as about 50. My father was 9 at the time of the sinking. The family story is the Grandfather had given up going to sea but at the last minute he was asked to fill an unexpected vacancy -just for the one trip!

May 11, 2018
I just visited the Titanic Museum and saw Alford Cotton's name and that he was from England. My father had told me my family was from England long ago. Do you know of any Cottons that may have moved to America? My great-grandfather was a doctor that settled in Mississippi. I live in Louisiana now.