Alfred Cunningham

P

Paul Clarke

Hi

I'm trying to track down death notices for Harland and Wolff's nine man Guarantee group.

I'm particularly looking for anything relating to Alfred Cunningham who was one of the young apprentices who lost his life doing his duty on board.

Apr 27, 2003
Paul,
All I can add is this:
Cunningham, Mr. Alfred. Apprentice fitter. Missing.
(From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 702. Cunningham, mother. Grant £60.
Named on the Belfast City Hall Memorial, Belfast.

Hope it helps?

Cheers Brian

Robby House

Jun 9, 2016
Kathleen, GA
Regarding the Guarantee group, I'm curious to know if any member of this group were present or seen assisting Andrews during his damage assessment of Titanic after impacting the iceberg. So far my own research into Titanic hasn't yielded any information about the activities of the Guarantee Group other than what we know of Andrews.

Robby

(I see this thread is dead but maybe someone will see my question.)

May 3, 2005
An interesting point. I don't know about books and other movies. But in ANTR and the 1997 movie the only person from the Gurantee Group we see is Andrews. Of course Andrews isn't even included in the 1953 "Titanic." Not sure which details each individual of the Guarantee Group would be involved. Is there any information on the other members of the Guarantee Group ?
Would each person be assigned a specific duty or area of the ship ?

Last edited:

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
Well I.don't think they even were assigned to particular tasks.
Guarantee Group was a classical policy in H&W of following the ships they built.
The group was mainly here to assist the crew and train them with new equipment, and to check after possible changes/improvements.