Alice Boyden

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alice Boyden

Hi,
I just jumped into a thread about Titanic curriculum about a week ago and didn't introduce myself. It's the first time I felt qualified to comment on anything although I've been reading this message board with great fascination. I'm an elementary school teacher. I've been interested in Titanic since the discovery of the wreck in 1985, but I got seriously interested one weekend in 1991 when I saw SOS Titanic on TV and then ran to the library to get every book I could find on the subject. I've been pretty much hooked ever since. I used to teach a Titanic unit to my fourth graders every year. I switched down to 3rd grade 4 years ago and I'm now teaching a Titanic unit to 3rd grade for the first time. So far its going really well.

W

Wayne Keen

There are a good number of serious historians on this board who have posted a wealth of fascinating information here. I encourage you to bump around, you will run into all manner of interesting topics and information.

Many regular posters are veterans of the sea - and it is utterly fascinating "hearing" them talk.

Enjoy,

Wayne

Sep 5, 2005
alice--

are you familiar with mrs. spedden's polar bear book about the Titanic? If so, how young a child would you give it to? my niece is 6, about to enter first grade, and both her father and i are big titanic buffs. although i haven't read the book yet, my sense is she is too young for it. but i don't know. do you think a child younger than third grade can be properly introduced to titanic? thanks.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Caroline, for whatever it's worth, I was 8 years old when I read "A Night To Remember" for the very first time. I don't think a third grader will have a problem with it. It halps to know that there are several non fiction children's books out there which are pretty good such as Ken Marschall's "Inside The Titanic" and the Eyewitness History series which has a volumn on the ship.

Zachary Lee

Apr 22, 2005
Welcome to the board, Alice! That's cool your teaching the Titanic to elementary students. I'd recommend the Titanic chapter book, "S.O.S. Titanic". It is a very easy book to read.

A

Alice Boyden

Caroline--Actually I think a 6 year old would like "Polar the Titanic Bear". I just finished reading it to my third graders today.
Zachary--"S.O.S. Titanic" is little advanced for my beginning third graders right now although I may use it with a higher group or put it out with my chapter books for independent reading later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.