Aliens of the Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
I do think this is Cameron's next underwater adventure. I just saw a preview for it. Coming to IMAX in April. It's not a Titanic film, but it sure looks like one of his projects from the scenes I saw.

Nov 6, 2004
Has anyone seen this film? I thought about driving a good distance to watch it (no nearby IMAX). Based on GOTA etc., I imagine it's pretty awesome.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
It is from what I heard
happy.gif

Mar 3, 1998
Patrick,

I saw the film at a cast/crew screening back in December. I don't know if that was the final cut or not, but what I saw was jaw-dropping. In some ways, it's like GotA; in other ways, it's completely new and different.

My prediction is this: if you like the way Jim Cameron does things, you'll very much enjoy this film. If Jim Cameron irritates you, you will find much to be critical about. No matter on which side of the fence you sit, though, you will definitely be treated to sights that you have never before seen and learn things about deep-ocean life that you never before knew.

I will also say that Jim Cameron utilised a new methodology for ocean explorations on film in AotD that has received very favourable comments in the scientific community. If you see AofD, you will in effect be seeing his blueprint for the manner in which he will conduct explorations in the future, including any that he may captain this year.

I recommend that you make the drive to watch the film. Whether or not you like it will be up to you.

If it matters, almost 90 percent of the reviews in the media have been positive. I do not understand Disney's marketing strategy -- only allowing the film to be shown in a small number of theatres in selected areas -- but I've given up trying to understand why some in the film industry operate they way they do. I want to take my kids to see it, but am forced to wait until Disney includes San Diego on their release schedule.

Parks

Nov 6, 2004
Thank you Mark (for the affirmative statement), Bob (for the link), and Parks (for your very thoughtful insight, and I hope you get to take your family to see it). I'm now properly psyched to see Aliens of the Deep 3D!

A wrench has been thrown in the works, however. The official site shows the Mall of Georgia IMAX (the closest where it was on) as showing the film, but the theatre site shows otherwise. I know it was still on within the last few days. Charleston, SC is the next closest. That adds about 180 round-trip miles to the drive, putting a one-day excursion possibly out of reach.

I was in Charleston one afternoon in March, on the way back from farther down the coast, and by chance just missed the last showing of AotD; too bad I only found out the IMAX schedule upon arriving. Not a total loss, as I caught the last boat to my original goal of Fort Sumter (the theatre and pier are next to each other). Still frustrating, though.

Well, this post was a lot longer than it ever should have been. Thank you very much again, Parks, Mark, and Bob. Maybe I can work it out, as the film appears to be worth the effort. The DVD likely won't do the 3D IMAX full justice.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
I heard this movie was very good.

What did you guys think of it? I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to know first before seeing it myself.

Also speaking of Cameron's documentaries, I'm a bit disappointed. I've tried to find the soundtracks to both this film and also Expedition Bismarck but had no luck. Are there plans to release soundtracks from AotD and EB?

Nov 6, 2004
Haven't seen it yet, either, but have finally made plans to do so. Unless it is too much trouble to get to an IMAX facility, then AotD ought to be a great way to spend 46 minutes.

Not sure about the soundtracks, as I too didn't find them on the 'Net. There are IMAX soundtracks out there and perhaps one for "Aliens of the Deep" will be released. TV documentary soundtracks could be harder to come by, but good luck searching!

Nov 6, 2004
I finally saw “Aliens of the Deep” and found it to be more than worth the price of admission. There is astounding footage of life forms flourishing in the black depths that most humans have not heretofore known about, and massive formations towering above the sea floor. The exploration required to make these discoveries and capture the images is as impressive as the visual experience. If anyone still has an opportunity, by all means go see “Aliens of the Deep”.

Nov 6, 2004
Mark,

I haven't been able to find a date for the DVD release. Some site called "loaded247.com" says it's coming soon and has it available for pre-order in the UK (think I'll wait for something more concrete). Walden Media lists it as "Now Playing", while announcing another film as coming out on August 9, so it may be later than that date. I certainly plan to get the DVD.

My only real "complaint" about AotD was the short running time. I wanted to see more and hear further theories about the life that is thriving there. Maybe the DVD will have an extended version like Ghosts of the Abyss. It will be worth having either way!

Nov 6, 2004
According to the Digital Bits site, Aliens of the Deep will indeed be released on DVD with an extended version on November 1! That makes for a couple of DVDs I'll be picking up around then, if the dates hold true.

Jan 31, 2001
Has anyone purchased this DVD yet?

I'm yet to see the film, but I was considering either picking it up sometime soon or adding it to my Christmas wish list.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
I got the dvd. It's really cool. Cameron shows even the deep ocean itself has secrets that must be solved. Stunning images, the small subs shown against a massive undersea pillars of rock. You have to see it.
happy.gif

Nov 6, 2004
Mark hit the nail on the head. I also have the DVD and watched the theatrical version again. It is still truly fascinating to see, even on my standard television set. If you have any interest in deep ocean life and exploration, you will definitely enjoy the films.

Status
Not open for further replies.