All Lifeboats launched....

Seumas

Seumas

As in launched from the davits ? Yes.

Floated off from the ship ? No. The survivors in A and B were taken aboard other boats and made it to the Carpathia that way.

Carpathia hoisted a number of the boats aboard her and took them to New York, for want of deck space a few of them were set adrift, however.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hello Andy,

Did all the Lifeboats launched make it to the Carpathia?
Yes, although only 13 of the 20 lifeboats were actually placed on board the Carpathia. That was as many as she could carry. Seven boats were set adrift; 3 wooden boats (4, 14 and 15) and the collapsible ones (A, B, C, D).

Andy A Carter

Andy A Carter

www.andycarter.net
Thank you for the quick answers.

Someone said to me that a Titanic lifeboat was found later with Dead Bodies in it but I didn't believe this.

Regards
Andy

Seumas

Seumas

Collapsible A was indeed found adrift by the Oceanic several weeks after the disaster with three badly decomposed male corpses in it.

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

I think the question was from Andy. Did all the Lifeboats launched make it to the Carpathia?
I think all expect for A & B boats. B was upside down and A drifted away.

Seumas

Seumas

Hi Jason,

OK, what happened?
When Lowe took No. Fourteen alongside to rescue the exhausted survivors from Collapsible A, there were three obviously dead men in the boat. Lowe did not take them on board. They were left there, the living had to take priority over the dead.

Several weeks later, the Oceanic came across Collapsible A adrift. The corpses were still there, their skin blackened by the sun.

Oceanic stopped and sent a boat over, her doctor formally inspected the bodies and pronounced the men dead. The bodies were taken back to the ship for burial at sea. One of them is supposed to have come apart when moved, it was that badly decomposed. A few effects were recovered and the bodies buried at sea.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think Oceanic also hoisted aboard Collapsible A.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I think Oceanic also hoisted aboard Collapsible A.
I believe that it was and taken back to New York where it joined those other 13 lifeboats in the loft above Piers 58 & 59. I understand that in the following months and years souvenir hunters took away bits and pieces of the surviving lifeboats of the Titanic; I do not know the details or even if that is true.

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

The problem with collapsible A the canvas sides were not fully up. The ones on board where in ankle deep of freezing cold water. I believe some were transferred to boat D. A was found a month later by Oceanic and returned to New York with the others.
B was found a few days later after Titanic sank by cable ship Mackay Bennett still turnup but I believe was never recovered. (If that was ever found and recovered how much would that be worth?)

Seumas

Seumas

The problem with collapsible A the canvas sides were not fully up. The ones on board where in ankle deep of freezing cold water. I believe some were transferred to boat D. A was found a month later by Oceanic and returned to New York with the others.
B was found a few days later after Titanic sank by cable ship Mackay Bennett still turnup but I believe was never recovered. (If that was ever found and recovered how much would that be worth?)
Jason, Arun and I have already said that.

What would Collapsible B be worth ? Nothing, because it would have deteriorated over the several months it was adrift and would have been reduced to dozens of bits of driftwood by the end of 1912. It's not still drifting somewhere at sea today.

Andy A Carter

Andy A Carter

www.andycarter.net
When Lowe took No. Fourteen alongside to rescue the exhausted survivors from Collapsible A, there were three obviously dead men in the boat. Lowe did not take them on board. They were left there, the living had to take priority over the dead.

Several weeks later, the Oceanic came across Collapsible A adrift. The corpses were still there, their skin blackened by the sun.

Oceanic stopped and sent a boat over, her doctor formally inspected the bodies and pronounced the men dead. The bodies were taken back to the ship for burial at sea. One of them is supposed to have come apart when moved, it was that badly decomposed. A few effects were recovered and the bodies buried at sea.

I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think Oceanic also hoisted aboard Collapsible A.
Thank you Seumas and Jason for such clear answers on this.

Regards
Andy

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

The problem with collapsible A the canvas sides were not fully up. The ones on board where in ankle deep of freezing cold water. I believe some were transferred to boat D
Where did you get that information? As far as I know, the waterlogged and drifting Collapsible A somehow got close to Lifeboat #14 with Fifth Officer Lowe in charge on Monday morning. Lowe, as mentioned above, supervised the transfer of 11 to 13 survivors (there is some uncertainty if Augustus Weikmann and William McIntyre were among them) onto his Lifeboat #14, covered the 3 deceased people with live vests and left Collapsible A adrift with the bodies. They were found by the Oceanic a few weeks later, the bodies were given a proper sea burial and the lifeboat was hauled on board and taken back to New York.

Collapsible D was not involved in any of this, unless some new information has come through.

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

Arun. It interesting what have to say and just show how controversial things are said about Titanic. At the same time I do recognise you are better at research that I am and others too!
I have to say the information I got was of the website and Sam book to about some of the occupants were transfer from A to D boat.
Now if you think boat 14 is nearer the true so be it.
That raise another question was the collapsible A & B boats canvas side fully erected before launching? As on a website there is photo A boat half flooded?