Allan Clarke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan Clarke

Feb 27, 2002
Hello,
I am new to Encyclopedia Titanica. My name is Allan Clarke and I work at the Provincial Museum of Newfoundland and Labrador in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. My interest in the Titanic goes back a long time to when my mother, who came from Liverpool, told me that she had an uncle who was a stoker on the liner and was one of those lost. Unfortunately, she couldn't remember his name as she was born in 1919 and only knew her Aunt Kate long after the Titanic's demise. I guess I will have to go back to Liverpool and search the marriage records to find out who this poor fellow was. Since then, I have read everything I could find on the ship, the time period, etc. Two big connections that Newfoundland had with the Titanic was the Wireless Station at Cape Race, which was very important in the legacy of that fatelful night, and the life jacket, which is in our museum's collections, that was retrieved from the body of First Class Saloon Stewart, James McCrady. I have written articles and given lectures on the Titanic at the museum, with the lifejacket as the backdrop; it holds great fascination for young and old, though I doubt it would bring back fond memories for the spirit of Mr. McCrady, who would probably kick it down the street for all the good it did him.
Anyway, it is nice to meet all of you,and I look forward to the ongoing discussions.
Cheers,
Allan

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Welcome aboard, Allan,

I hope you enjoy our discussions here - I'm sure you'll find something along your lines (passengers, crew, ship's design, etc.) here. Also, I personally have found people from Newfoundland very hospitable and tremendously kind. What can I say, my mother-in-law is from there!

Warmest regards,
Cook

Dec 13, 1999
Hey Cook,

Alma and I are in Newfoundland a week today - we'll look Rose Ann's mother up and invite ourselves to stay!!!

Geoff

May 5, 2001
Pat,

Was your wife standing there with a baseball bat when you said that about her Mother??? <smile>

Just kiddin'......I have never been up that way but judging by the fact that Halifax has three cemetaries filled with Titanic Victims and they still tend the graves today, says something good about the people in that area...I personally would like to visit there sometime, I have no relatives there but it would be something interesting to do. I don't think my wife shares my Titanic enthusiasm very well however.

Regards,
Bill

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Allan,

Welcome aboard! This is the best Titanic site on the web!

It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Bill,

I definitely recommend that you visit Halifax. I was there last year for the THS convention and I loved it! I loved it so much, that I want to visit it again.

It's a wonderful city and if you would like any recommendations as to where to stay, where to eat, etc, I could give you some.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Bill opined: "Was your wife standing there with a baseball bat when you said that about her mother??? <smile>"

Amazing!!! A Louisville Slugger!

By the way, I think my wife and yours would have a lot in common.

Best regards,
Cook

May 5, 2001
Thanks Jason, I'll remember that if I ever get up that way......

Hey Pat?......I think you may be right but it was I who opted for this corner of the house away from all of this and the wife rarely comes over here to view the proceedings...so I am safe in that respect but in a way, that's what prompted me to do it this way in the first place...
happy.gif

Regards,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.