Allan Line's Calgarian Maiden Voyage

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Greetings---

In preparing a biography of Allan Line's Calgarian for the Great Ships web site (www.greatships.net), I consulted four sources, all of which give different information about the ship's maiden voyage. All agree that it bagan on 8 May 1914 in Liverpool. But Haws' Merchant Fleets says it ended at Montréal, with a call at Québec; Bonsor's North Atlantic Seaway says Québec; Kludas' Great Passenger Ships of the World says St. John; and Williams' Wartime Disasters at Sea says St. John's, with a call at Halifax.

If anyone can point to a source, preferably a primary source from 1914, that can help clarify this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

MAB

Jan 5, 2001
According to the introduction to ‘The Shipbuilder 2’ by Mark Warren:

Quote:

‘Launched March 22 1913 Alsatian commenced her maiden voyage from Liverpool to St John via Halifax on January 17 1914 while Calgarian…, followed her nearly identical sister into service with her maiden voyage on May 8 1914.’

It says in the actual article extract that she was:

Quote:

‘…ordered for service…between Liverpool and Quebec and Montreal in summer, and Halifax and St John in winter.’

Best regards,

Mark.

debbie beavis

May 24, 2001
Mark - sculling around the message board, I came across your plea from almost a year ago regarding the destination for the Calgarian's maiden voyage. You wanted a primary source from 1914. You may have confirmed this for yourself by now but in case you are still searching for documentary evidence; I checked my own database of British passenger sailings, the source of which are the Board of Trade passenger lists at Kew, England. Again, the date of sailing agrees with what you already had, and the passengers on board were listed only for Quebec.

Hope this helps

Debbie Beavis

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Thanks, Debbie. When I first posted this question in a number of fora last year, I got a variety of answers, one of them also based on the records at Kew. The consensus seemed to be that she did not go to Montreal, although it's not clear whether she called anywhere else in Canada before arriving at Quebec.

MAB

debbie beavis

May 24, 2001
Hello Mark

Certainly none of the passengers were booked to disembark anywhere other than Quebec. If you decide to look at the source yourself, it's in BT27/836

Regards

Debbie

Mar 19, 2008
I recently picked up this advertising piece for the new Allan Liners Alsatian and Calgarian
allan_line_revised.jpg

Reactions: 1 user