Allison Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allison Lane

Hi--

I'm new here, and a little nervous/intimidated about it since I know there are lots of people here much more knowledgeable than myself.
happy.gif

Anyway, I'm 17 and I live outside of Birmingham, Alabama in the US. I've been a Titanic buff since I was about 7 or 8 years old with a particular interest in the wireless operators and the officers (this goes for the Carpathia as well as the Titanic). For some time now I've been interested in doing some major research on Joseph Boxhall but living where I do and being the age I am, I figure it's going to be very difficult.
happy.gif
So suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Besides Titanic I love Star Wars, The Phantom of the Opera, marching bands, and reading just about anything I can get my hands on. Serious Titanic research has become a major pastime of mine in the past few months due to a story I'm writing.

-Allison L.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Welcome Allison:
Do you have the videos "A Night to Remember" and "The Making of A Night to Remember"? If you don't have them already, you'll enjoy seeing Boxhall on film.

A

Allison Lane

Thanks, Mike. Nice to meet you.

I have 'A Night To Remember' but in reading through older posts on this board I have just become aware of the existence of the 'making-of' film. Is it available in any other format than DVD? I don't have a DVD player and would love to see it.

Also, where does Boxhall appear in the movie? I remember reading once that Lawrence Beesley tried to enter one scene but they had to stop him. So how did Boxhall make it in?

-Allison L.

Sep 12, 2000
Welcome Allison. Don't allow yourself to think that you do not have as much weight as anybody here just because you are 17 or anything like that, because everyone has a view and can see the data pesented differently.

At nearly three times your age (which is not as old as Pat and nearly not as old as Mike Herbold but whose counting), I personally, have really just begun to under cover things about Titanic. What I found is that this is the greatest place to really learn about and get references to other places if you remain open to learn.

Everyone here is about the same business, learning what they can and helping others to learn. But also a fresh look at old stuff can provide a view that hasn't always been offered up as a possibility. I look forward to you joining our bantering. Maureen.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
My "Making of.." is on VHS. I'm watching the Broncos-Raiders game now, but will slip in TMOANTR later and get back to you.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Allison, the nice thing about this site is that you can get information on where to go for resources. A little tidbit I'll share is where you can get Olympic&Titanic, Ocean Liners Of The Past. This is basically a fascimilie reorint of The Shipbuilder articals done on the ships and it has an epilogue written by John Maxtone-Graham. Amazon.com says it's out of print, but I just got a copy from Barnes & Noble.com.

If that doesn't work, you can get copies of The Shipbuilder from The Titanic Historical Society. They're offering reprints, adverts and all. If any technical aspect of the Olympic class liners interests you, however trivial, these are THE resources to get.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

A

Allison Lane

Maureen: It means a lot to me to be treated as something other than a punk kid by adults; it doesn't happen often but I'm always afraid it will. You know, my generation is perceived as the slacker/stoner generation, and I don't want people to think I'm like that. I'm really hoping to be able to contribute something to this board. Thank you very much for your warm welcome.

Michael: You're from Easley, right? South Carolinians unite! Unfortunately I'm not there anymore but I visit when I can. I'm thinking about ordering a back issue or two from the Titanic Historical Society, but I don't have the money.

Mike: I think I found Boxhall in ANTR. Is he the man at the end who picks up that child who's looking for his mother? I've watched that a couple of times and if I weren't so drugged up my general reaction would be "Holy <FONT COLOR="ff0000">••••, that's Boxhall!!" but right now I'm just like, "Would you look at that?..." It's weird, because it's actually HIM. Do you know what I mean?

-Allison L., kinda rambling on Benadryl

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Allison:
In "The Making of a Night to Remember," Boxhall is pictured a number of different times and identified, and is Lawrence Beeseley and Edith Russell. Boxhall is a very distinguished-looking gentlemen, and is definitely actor material, but no reference is made to a part he may have played in the movie.

I sanned back through ANTR trying to find him, but couldn't make a positive ID. I also glanced through Simon Mills' book "The Titanic in Pictures," and although it mentions Boxhall's being a tecnical advisor, it doesn't mention him having a bit part. This may be one of those really good trivia questions, like identifying Ed and Karen Kamuda of the THS in Cameron's movie.

Incidentally, "The Making of ANTR" should be still available on VHS. The copy I have was made in England and is designed for "N.T.S.C." (whatever that means -- I'm not sure) so it can watched over here in the States.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Allison,

Welcome to ET! You don't be nervous or intimated here. This a great place to exchange information and learn all kinds of things on the Titanic and her people.

I see you got interested in the Titanic at an early age. Good for you! I look forward to seeing your posts.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

A

Allison Lane

Mike wrote:
In "The Making of a Night to Remember," Boxhall is pictured a number of different times and identified, and is Lawrence Beeseley and Edith Russell. Boxhall is a very distinguished-looking gentlemen, and is definitely actor material, but no reference is made to a part he may have played in the movie.

I am 100% positive that Boxhall is the older man who, towards the end of the movie, picks up the little boy who is looking for his mother. This particular gentleman appears five times and my sister and I have compared it with that picture of Boxhall with the model ship used in the film. I am absolutely certain that man is Boxhall. I've got a pretty good eye for that kind of thing--with a collection of over 2000 production pictures from The Phantom of the Opera one would have to be.
happy.gif

This may be one of those really good trivia questions, like identifying Ed and Karen Kamuda of the THS in Cameron's movie.

I didn't know they were in there... of course, then, I have no idea what Ed Kamuda looks like. So how many pertinent people DID Cameron stick in his movie?

Jason Tiller wrote:
I see you got interested in the Titanic at an early age. Good for you! I look forward to seeing your posts.

Thanks! Yep, my elementary school library had two books on the Titanic, and since I practically lived in that library I used to read them all the time. And I look forward to taking part in the merry mayhem as well.

-Allison L.

Sep 12, 2000
Everything in life I believe is about respecting boundaries. Our own as well as other people's. When we respect, we are respected.

Unfortunately, some younger folks don't have that down yet and they can not understand why they are not respected or listened to with any seriousness. But the truth is that there are just as many adults that go through the same thing.

My point is, it isn't about age or race or ethinic origin or about sex or anything like that... especially when discussing the Titanic.

All ages, all races and ethnicities and sexes aboard have representation in the victim column.

Trust me, no matter their age or experience everyone here is a learner AND a teacher. It is just important to understand which is which and when they each apply. When to join in and when to sit back and listen in awe to some of the knowledge here.

Of course, if you're from Texas, then we need to talk. (Just kidding Pat!)
Maureen.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Hi, Allison,

Welcome to the group.

You mentioned you had heard that Lawrence Beesley had tried to get into "A Night To Remember". According to his family, this is quite true...and there's a bit more to it. While they were filming one of the sections where the ship was going down, Lawrence got himself onboard with the passengers. It was only when he was spotted and removed (due to Union rules) that filming commenced. One can only surmise why he wanted to be with those who went down with the ship, even in a theatrical venue.

Best regards,
Cook

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Allison,
Welcome aboard the ET! It's good to have you!
Actually, the gentleman in ANTR with the little boy isn't Boxhall. One of the first things that gives it away is that the man in the movie has a higher-pitched voice, while Boxhall has a lower tone of voice. Boxhall also had a little bit of a gut on him, whereas the steward is slim.
As far as I know, Boxhall was only a technical advisor in the film, and the only one I know of who even tried to be in the picture was Beesley.
I think the man who had the little boy at the stern was also the steward in the first class dining room who was convinced the Titanic had thrown a propeller blade.
In the Making of ANTR, Boxhall is shown standing on the boat deck near a lifeboat between scenes, then in the wheelhouse, fiddling with the ship wheel prop. However, I do not think he was in the film at all, and I am convinced 100% that the steward in the film is NOT Boxhall.

Did you ever see the making of James Cameron's Titanic on the FOX channels? There is a good black and white footage shot of Ed and Karen Kamuda on A deck under the first class entrance sign. Their bit part in the movie is said to be on A-deck when the characters of Molly Brown, the Countess of Rothes and Mrs. Dewitt Bukater are walking on deck. They are said to be in the background.

James Cameron himself is found in several scenes in the movie. Can you find him? He's a master of disguise...

Have a good day, Allison. Good to have you on board!

Warm regards,
Dan

A

Allison Lane

Dan--

Thanks so much for your nice welcome! I look forward to (hopefully) contributing something of worth to this board.

About Boxhall/whoever-that-is... I admit I'm at a disadvantage since I've never heard his voice before (though I would really really love to), but it's just my opinion if he IS actually in the movie like so-and-so said then that guy would be him. *shrug* I usually have a pretty good eye for such things, but I'm not infallible. I am willing to agree to disagree, though. Maybe I'm just being stupid, but hey...

I never did see Cameron's making-of, which I regret. I would dearly love to see a director's cut of that movie--the thought of all that extra footage makes me drool. I love going through that movie and picking out stuff, though I usually skip through the Jack and Rose stuff (Leo--shudder). I also want that Titanic Explorer thing of his but I can't find it, and I'm broke.
happy.gif

I have found Cameron a couple of times. He's standing right behind Cal, I think, when Murdoch shoots those people, and I think he's in the third class party scene, too. My sister says he's the bearded guy getting his beard combed but I don't think so.

-Allison L.

Dan Cherry

Dec 14, 1999
Allison,
No, you're not being stupid at all! The elderly gentleman and Boxhall do share similar features.
Do you have access to the Discovery Channel on cable? The network will occasionally rerun their Titanic specials. One is a tour of the Titanic, using survivor voiceovers during the special, including Boxhall, Lightoller, storekeeper Frank Prentice, captain Rostron of the Carpathia, and passengers Edith Russell (Rosenbaum) and Eva Hart.

James Cameron's Titanic Explorer has a LOT of scenes cut from the movie. I purchased mine when new for around $30, but I am hearing it is as low as $15 in some spots now. Cameron is indeed the bearded guy during the boarding scene being checked for lice.

You do have a good eye for detail. Keep researching and do your homework (I mean Titanic - any of that *other* stuff is up to you :) )

Best wishes,
Dan C.

A

Allison Lane

Dan--

Yes, I do have the Discovery Channel, thank goodness. I'll have to keep a lookout on their programming now. Especially for the one you mentioned with the voiceovers. I'm going to be drooling at the thought all day today. (Well, whatever gets me through precalculus class, I'll take!)

Do you have any idea where I might be able to find the Titanic Explorer? I checked a Best Buy when I was in Greenville, SC over the summer but they didn't have it. And the cut scenes are precisely why I want it. *g*

Um, thanks for your compliment, and I do intend to keep up my research even if my resources aren't that great! It's only worth it if you enjoy it. As for my other homework, well, I get by somehow. *lol*

-Allison L.

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi Allison!

I just picked up a copy of the Titanic Explorer set on Ebay for $25. There were several others listed so you might be able to pick one up.

Tracey McIntire

Status
Not open for further replies.