Alvin

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Interesting. I had been under the impression that the Alvin had already been retired. The writeup on the replacement submersible can be found HERE. It looks like it'll be a more capable vehical too, being able to dive to 21,320 feet as opposed to Alvin's 14,764.

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Somewhat relating to Titanic, yesterday, I was at my local hobby shop and they had an assortment of Takara Microworld ships.
I purchased one, thinking it was their Kagero class destroyer (the label was all in japanese characters) and when I opened it in the car, I found a beautiful small model of Alvin.
alvin1.jpg

It is absolutely a gem, and includes Jason.
This model is sold in Japan, Hobbylink Japan may carry it.
here is a snap, it comes fully assembled and painted and about 2 inches in length.

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
They are amazing models, I have their Aegis destroyer which breaks into 3 pieces to show the interior. Quite well done.
My fiance is looking for their Battleship Yamato(with interior), and Cruiser Yahagi for me in Tokyo.
I have been trying to order what I can on line also, I bought their Yukikaze destroyer, and British X-craft and I want to get their I-19, and Kairyu submarines.
I think I read somewhere they also have a Nautile too!

Mar 5, 2001
From the Takara Series you can become The "Alvin" (one wit and one without JJ), The "Mir 1" and "Mir 2" and also the "Nautile" in two designs.

I have them all, here is an picture of them:

hpim7656.jpg

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Great photo, Thorsten,
I am amazed by their subjects, I just saw they have two versions of USS Grayback, with Regulus I and II missiles-
I am still trying to find out how to tell what is in the box as I can't read a word on the label. I have never been disappointed, but I would like to know-

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From BYM Maritime News:

USA. RMS Titanic discovery submersible to be replaced
quote:

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) has awarded Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] a $2.8 million contract for the initial design of the Replacement Human Occupied Vehicle (RHOV), a next generation three-person Deep Submergence Vehicle (DSV) that will be used by the U.S. scientific community. The contract has an option for subsequent construction of the RHOV once the initial design is completed and the project is approved to move forward.
The rest of the story is at http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=13108

Comment: I know, I know, it's reviving an old thread, but with the latest talk on submerisibles capable of diving on the Titanic, I thought it would be nice to see what's going on with the proposed replacement for one of them.​

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
From the New York Times:

New Sphere in Exploring the Abyss

quote:

The deep is legendary for inky darkness. William Beebe, the first person to eye the abyss, called it perpetual night.

The darkness is matched by the intense pressure. Four miles down, it amounts to nearly five tons per square inch. That is too much even for Alvin, the most famous of the world’s tiny submersibles, which can take a pilot and two scientists down to a maximum depth of 2.8 miles.
For the rest of the story, click here.​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Our Amazing Planet:

Upgraded Sub Could Reach 98 Percent of Ocean Deep
quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — A U.S. Navy-owned submarine that located a lost hydrogen bomb and scouted the wreck of the Titanic is getting a $40 million makeover to go deeper than ever before. But first things first: Some interior redecorating will allow the submarine's occupants to observe deep sea life without holding yoga-like positions for hours on end.
More at http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/upgraded-submarine-could-reach-98-percent-of-ocean-0865/

Comment: Looks like the Alvin is back!​

Apr 26, 2006
Ive heard very recently that Alvin was being taken out of service for a major refit to enable it to go much deeper and to make more room inside the capsule