Amanda Ratliff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2001
Hi, I've been visiting the webpage for awhile now, but I've never visited the message board. My name is Amanda, I'm 21 years old, and I live in Ohio, USA. I got 'addicted' 'obsessed' whateveryou call it
happy.gif
To Titanic in 1985. I read an article in National Geographic about Dr. Ballard finding the wreck of the RMS Titanic, and from there on out I was hooked. I was only 5 years old. I read anything and everything I can get my hands on about the ship and feel that I am considerably knowledgable on the subject. I can't tell you how many reports I did on it in school
happy.gif
I've even been accused of being 'reincarnated' from the ship. We can dream can't we
happy.gif
Well I'm babbling on, I just really wanted to introduce myself and tell you a bit about me. Hope to talk to some of you very soon!

R

Rolf Vonk

Hi Amanda,

Welcome aboard the message board. I'm Rolf from the southern Netherlands. Really, you will find great stuff here!
happy.gif

And who knows: maybe you are reincarnated! (There's a topic about reincarnated Titanic souls here on ET)
proud.gif

I'm looking forward to your posts!

Regards,
Rolf

Oct 23, 2000
Hi Amanda!

I got interested in the Titanic when I was around your age. It was in the early 1980's when I was 4 or 5 years old and the spark for my interest was watching the Clifton Webb-Barbara Stanwyck Titanic movie on TV with my parents one night. Shortly before the ship was found, in fact!
I missed Ballard's first National Geographic Titanic article, but I read his second one, "A Long Last Look At: Titanic" in the December 1986 issue during a visit to my grandparents home in Chicago.
My grandparents took note of my new interest, and gave me a copy of Dr. Ballard's book "The Discovery Of The Titanic" for my birthday in eitheir 1987 or 1988.
Shortly after I got his book, I wrote to Ballard. (Well, Dad did the actual writing, I just dictated, but still....:) )
He wrote back! I even wound up corresponding with him three other times over the years.
Now the real mindblower: my birthday is April 21st. That's a week after April 14th, and the anniversary of the U.S. Titanic inquiry switching from New York City to Washington, D.C., and of when a crewman from a certain ship named the Californian let it be known that his ship may have seen the Titanic (as you probably know, Earnest Gill was really the second guy to say the Californian saw the Titanic).
Not only that, I was born in 1980. The year Jack ("I found the Titanic!") Grimm made his first fruitless attempt at finding the great White Star goliath. I guess I arrived just in time for the searching-discovery-post-discovery party! :)
See ya around on the forums.

Richard K.

Kathy Bruce

Oct 4, 2000
Hi Amanda

My name is Kathy, I'm 25 years old I'm very interested in the Titanic. I first started to become very interested in Titanic in 1995. I was in a writing class on my free time, just for fun
happy.gif
anyway I wrote a poem of Titanic one thing I didn't know much about the ship I didn't even knew what happen to her. I just starting to write the poem. It came out really good.
In 1996 I seen my first Titanic movie starting With George C Scott on Tv, then I watch the 1997 James Cameron titanic and then A Night To Remember, that's when I became very interested in the ship and wanted to find out more about her. So I searched on the interent and buy every book about Titanic. I think I was also 'reincarnated' from the ship. I do have these dreams about the ship, some times my parents get tired of me talking about Titanic or even when I buy Titanic books they just look at me like "Anther one, there just the same." They always say, But I buy the books anyway.
happy.gif
hope to see you around the list.

Kathy

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Amanda,

Welcome aboard! I live in Toronto and I became very interested in the Titanic when I was eleven years old. I got a great book on her and her sister ships and I was hooked immediately. I then did a speech on the Titanic for school which I did very well on.

After that, I saw "A Night to Remember" and I was even more hooked. I also read anything and everything I can get on my hands on and I consider myself an expert on the ship. Currently, I have thirty-nine books and several videos including "Titanic" (1953), ANTR and James Cameron's "Titanic". I am totally obsessed.

I have a strong connection to the ship as well. My birthday is on April.16 which is obviously one day after the disaster and a family member of mine's great great grandfather was a third class passenger traveling on the Titanic who unfortunately did not survive. I belong to the Titanic Historical Society and a Titanic society up here in Canada.

It's good to hear from you and I look forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Nov 2, 2000
Hi Amanda and Kathy, nice to meet you!

Kathy, I know what you mean about people not understanding about our passion for Titanic as my wife gives me the same spiel everytime I get yet another Titanic book or video! LOL

Jason, that's cool about your BDAY! Mine is April 11 which also makes me feel a strong connection being the day she last saw land and Jack Phillips's BDAY as well.

Good Day All!

Michael K.

Mar 3, 2001
Thanks for the kind welcome. By the posts I've read so far (I'm attempting to read them all, OY) I feel almost like a beginer. I have lots of Titanic books and movies, recently I managd to get the 4 Titanic national geographic books. The one I had initially read that got me interested and it was such a neat feeling to reat it again. I could just remember everyword. I've never had the pleasure of corrosponding with any survivors, survivors relatives, or Dr. Ballard, but I would love the chance. well with the exception of survivors. My feeling on that issue is that as much as I love Titanic they feel horrific about it. They have nothing left to tell. I'm perfectly content to read their accounts. Dr. Ballard I would love to write and tell him how much I respect him. I am moved whenever I hear him speak. It was noble of him NOT to retrieve anything and to attempt to keep her location a secret. He is a man I will forver admire.

Kathy Bruce

Oct 4, 2000
Hi Micheal, nice to meet you too

Your right, I try not to talk about Titanic to much front of my parents, but I can't help it. It's kinda like the ship is calling out to us, like don't forget about me or something like it.

I'm also a member of Titanic Historical Inc. I have been a member of Titanic Historical for a year almost. They have interesting articles in the magazines and stuff you could buy there but I haven't baught anything yet.

I'm interested in The Astor's, The officers & Thomas Andrews. I have about 16 Titanic books and one audio tape "I built the Titanic A Past- Life Memories Of A Master Shipbuilder. By Bill Barnes. I also know the author. It's really interesting audio tape. But I can't listen to the ending ending it really gets to me. Now I'm looking for a anther aduio tape it's called "Titanic: Survivor Interviews" Is that a hard to find? Just wondering.

By the way where can I write to Robert Ballard? Does he have an email address or just plain old address? I really enjoy what he does about finding the Titanic. I have his book also "Dr. Ballard's "The Discovery Of The Titanic" That is really good book.

Kathy

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Michael,

Yeah, I thinks it's pretty cool also about my birthday....thanks. That's pretty cool as well about your B-day and that you have a strong connection also with the Titanic.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.