Amelia Lamore

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hey Michael--yes it will be in book form but probably not bound in gold and jewels with silken pages and velvet insets!! Unless of course I just have two copies made! But the good news (I think??) is that I'm retiring in a couple of months and then will take whatever time off I need to in order to finish up the research and the book.

Randy--not sure yet, but I may head back to Texas after a 25 year absence. I can hear "home" calling.

Phil

Mar 15, 2001
Phil, you and Brian are to be congratulated on all the hard work the two of you have done. I know what little research I have done has been very time consuming but I couldn't imagine what you guys have been through. It boggles my mind. Don't tell me your moving back to Texas. I like having a Titanic passenger expert close by.

Brian Gierat

Dec 23, 2004
Just trying to follow up on where she might be buried. Her death date is listed as May 15 1950 and she went back to England to care for her sick father.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Brian,
We have yet to find her place of burial but Brian Meister has personally visited a number of cemeteries in the area where she died without success. But we're still lookin'. We'll eventually find her. If you haven't already done so, take a look at the new photos of her posted on the "Gallery of Titanic Visages." They show her to have been a very plain woman with sort of a sad countenance about her.

Phil

Feb 6, 2004
What was James Lemore doing in England? Does anyone know? Amelia was already married to James Lemore (who was Black and born in Pennsylvania) when she sailed from Liverpool aboard the Lucania Oct 26 and arrived at New York November 2, 1907. Her final destination was Milwaukee, Wisonsin, although she actually was going to Waukesha, Wisonsin. She was 38 (according to her) and he 34 in 1910. He also didnt know where his father was born and his mother was a native of Virginia. The 1881 Census for the greater London area does reveal an Amelia who seems to fit, in Kensington, daughter of Henry and Mary Hunt.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Brian, the closest we get to trading around here is to post what we got and ask for what we ain't got. Try it, it works.

Feb 6, 2004
What was James Lemore doing in England? Does anyone know? Amelia was already married to James Lemore (who was Black and born in Pennsylvania) when she sailed from Liverpool aboard the Lucania Oct 26 and arrived at New York November 2, 1907. Her final destination was Milwaukee, Wisonsin, although she actually was going to Waukesha, Wisonsin. She was 38 (according to her) and he 34 in 1910. He also didnt know where his father was born and his mother was a native of Virginia. The 1881 Census for the greater London area does reveal an Amelia born about 1872 who seems to fit, in Kensington, daughter of Henry and Mary Hunt

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
As I understand it, they met in the US and were married in Norfolk, Virginia, then came over to England for a visit soon afterwards, presumably so that James could be introduced to Amelia's family. He returned to their home in Wisconsin a few weeks before she did in 1907. They later of course moved to Chicago. If James was in England at any other time I don't know about that.

Brian Gierat

Dec 23, 2004
Amelia went back to England to take care of her father and eventually died there herself...has anyone come close to finding her grave yet? This is one elusive lady....

A

Amanda Hernandez

Would anyone be able to tell me when it was the Amelia moved from Waukesha, Wisconsin to Chicago. Was it before she sailed on the Titanic and if so, how long before? And did she or does she still have any ties to Wisconsin?