Amy Zillah Elsie Stanley

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Amy Stanley was the roommate of little Virginia Martin-Emanuel and her nanny Elizabeth Dowdell on the Titanic. They had to negotiate large crowds and barriers to get to the boat deck and were reportedly helped by some male friends that they had made during the voyage. Amy Stanley must have become separated from the other two at some stage because while Virginia Emanuel and Elizabeth Dowdell were rescued on Lifeboat #13, Amy Stanley ended-up on Collapsible C.

Of course it was Virginia Martin-Emanuel whose identity a woman named Vera Hanson tried to claim in the 1950s just as Walter Lord's research resulted in a renewed interest in the Titanic.

Reactions: 1 user

chrismireya

Apr 7, 2019
Palo Alto, CA
There was an auction of Ms. Stanley's firsthand written account of the sinking. In the letter, she described the ship breaking apart. In it, she writes:

"...there was an awful noise she broke in the middle the people sliding where she broke into the water that accounted for the awfull screaming which followed which noise I could not get rid of for some time then the whole of the parts went down but one part came and floated for a time..."

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
There was an auction of Ms. Stanley's firsthand written account of the sinking. In the letter, she described the ship breaking apart.
Interesting. Amy Stanley was rescued on 'Ismay's boat' Collapsible C, that was lowered at about 01:58 am. It was probably close enough to the Titanic when the ship started to break apart about 20 minutes or so later for the survivors on board the lifeboat to be able to actually see it clearly.

chrismireya

Apr 7, 2019
Palo Alto, CA
Interesting. Amy Stanley was rescued on 'Ismay's boat' Collapsible C, that was lowered at about 01:58 am. It was probably close enough to the Titanic when the ship started to break apart about 20 minutes or so later for the survivors on board the lifeboat to be able to actually see it clearly.
If you click on each page of the letter (written in Ms. Stanley's own handwriting) at the Sotheby's website, you find a remarkable story that you don't hear very often regarding the initial moments following the collision with the iceberg. You also read her account of what it was like aboard Carpathia.

It would be nice to transcribe this account.

The letter sold for £7,500.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
If you click on each page of the letter (written in Ms. Stanley's own handwriting) at the Sotheby's website, you find a remarkable story that you don't hear very often regarding the initial moments following the collision with the iceberg.
Thank you very much. The writing is hard to read after but I made the effort and it is fascinating. I need to go through it in careful detail over the next few days.

I believe the 'Lizzie' Ms Stanley refers to is her adult roommate Elizabeth Dowdell, who was the nanny of the 'child' with them - none other than Virginia Martin-Emanuel. Virginia was 6 years and 6 months old at the time and due to no fault of hers had had a very eventful life till then. I have done research into her life and the attempt by Vera Hanson to steal her identity in the 1950s.

Getting back to Amy Stanley, she referred to clambering over things while trying to get to the lifeboats and how their male dining companions helped them. I have heard the same story from Elizabeth Dowdell's side of research. I did not know till I read the letter that Amy Stanley later met poor Rhoda Abbott who barely survived on board the waterlogged Collapsible A but lost both her sons.