An animated Titanic film

• Thread starter Cassie Lougheed
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassie Lougheed

I've wanted to discuss this for a while.

When shopping in town recently I came across a DVD of a U (or G) rated Titanic movie. It was clearly a children's film, as from reading the back cover I discovered it revovled around talking animals and some singer named Molly Hart.

I don't know what to feel about this. I don't like the idea of the tragedy of Titanic being cheapened or kiddie-fied. If the animation on the DVD's cover is anything to go by, the quality of the film is anything but top notch. It also seems like it's filled with songs ala Disney style but no doubt lacking in Disney's quality and magic.

To me it all seems a bit tasteless. I'm all for children learning about the Titanic but it's almost certain that things will be changed and the tragedy greatly watered down to be made more suitable for the young children - the target audience.

Here is a picture of the DVD and on Amazon's page:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005LDFL/ref=sr_aps_dvd_1_3/202-5657478-6604630

I'm afraid they offer next to no information though.

I just wanted to see what other's thought of an animated Titanic film. Thoughts very welcome please.
happy.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
This "charming" tale...or perhaps tail because of the animals...was savaged last year by some of the members here who saw it. Not hard to understand why when the mice sing as the ship sinks and nobody dies. Quite a departure from reality by any reckoning.

Inger Sheil suffered through it and she could tell you more about it. Needless to say, after her "flattering" observations, when I rushed out to the vidio store, it was to buy something else!

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Vile, execrable, exploitative, insulting and offensive - and those would be its good points!

I don't think it has any educational value at all - quite the opposite. Or any redeeming features whatsoever. I certainly can't think of any movie aimed at children on a serious topic that even begins to approach the insensitivity of this flick. Not only that, but stylistically and creatively it's a plagiarised nightmare, 'borrowing' directly from any number of other cartoons and movies, including some notable Disney successes. It was discussed before on ET under a thread titled something along the lines of 'Worst Titanic Movie of All Time'.

Here's a link to a spot-on review of this trainwreck of an exploitation flick:

http://www.badmovieplanet.com/unknownmovies/reviews/rev317.html

Mind you, this is just MHO - a Scotty dog dressed as a rapper against an urban background with a boombox singing 'C'mon everybody it's party time' might constitute high art to someone else. Or at least a nod at surrealism. As might the three mice in sombreros. And no, I am not kidding. But hey, the chihuahhua is rescued!

And Mike...promise I won't inflict the theme song on you again! Indeed, I can't remember it - odd, because I thought I'd never get that puerile drone out of my head.

Jul 9, 2002
This Vile Movie is my living Hell!! I have a young nephew who for some reason, wants to be just like his Uncle Ryan. Well one fine day, I took my little 5 year old nephew to the mall with me and was showing him a very highly detailed model of Titanic and I told him how interested in the Ship I am. Well now he is interested too. Which ordinarily would be fine and dandy and I am happy that he has an interest in learning about her, however his interest lies in that damnable movie which I am ashamed to say, I bought for him that same day. I had never seen nor heard of it and it wasnt 20 minutes after seeing the model that he saw the movie and "had to have it!!!!!!" So I bought it, sat down with him, watched it......and tried not to vomit right in front of him. He LOVES it. I have to watch it with him every time I see him. I almost have it memorized. It plays over and over and over and over in my head. I HATE it with a passion as deep as the Titanic lies. Why God, Why?........help!

Jul 12, 2003
I never heard of animated film until I read this thread. I can't even believe that someone thought of something like this or that it would be educational. Why do some people think that the only way a child will learn is to present something to him/her in an animated form?

Do I understand from all the above comments that the ship is occupied by animals dressed as humans?

The Titanic tragedy should be handled with reverence.

Ryan, your nephew will outgrow it. Kids are smart. After a while they want more...more information...and Uncle Ryan can step in.

I don't know if you live in California...but if you do, you could even take him to the Queen Mary to get a feel for a large ship. Just a thought. Kids like tangible things sometimes to hold their interest.

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
Its ok to animate Titanic story It has to be watered down so it wont upset little kids But By viewing the photo's on the movie review page It is based on camerons Titanic and the CGI Titanic is ok but the sea is not It looks like a great model on a Blue screen back ground
I havent even seen the movie yet
any way its just a CARTOON !!!! Its fake Its not real Its Just A Little kids cartoon cant you all just get the point !!!???
and where's Kyrilla Scully?

A

Alex McLean

I saw the image of the cover... and burst out laughing, which is not that appropriate right now because I am in IT class...
Just my opinion, the people who are not as interested in Titanic would have no qualms with this 'film'... of sorts, but for the community who do have an interest here, I can say it is appalling. Then again, only one film has ever been made about Titanic that covers the main historical points, ANTR, and even that had a fictional love story. Everything is dramatised, romatisised, or anything else added to it to get money. No doubt in 50 years we will see a tragic love story about say... 9/11.
But this... THIS... this is just stupid.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>any way its just a CARTOON !!!! Its fake Its not real Its Just A Little kids cartoon cant you all just get the point !!!??? <<

And the point is...what???

Granted, it's just entertainment for the kiddies, but I wonder if it's really such a swift idea to give a story with a bad ending in the real world an ending that is so far removed from any reality that it just beggers belief.

Bad things happen when ships sink, and I think any youngsters old enough to "understand" the film would also be old enough to understand that as well. All in all, this one took dramatic licence a bit too far in my opinion.

As always, your results may vary.

B

Bob Cruise

To support Michael's point (mind you, I LOVE animation - have even made a few shorts myself):

I mean - what's next? "The Animated 9/11?"

(That's not to say animation hasn't got its place as far disasters are concerned. Winsor McKay, perhaps the most prolific of the early animators during the silent era, produced an animated depiction of the sinking of the Lusitania [1918]. There was nothing funny or cute about it, he was just trying to dramatically portray the tragedy in a way that contemporary special effects could not.)

Jun 8, 2003
I have to agree with you Bob i was disgusted by it. Even Cameron's movie a very commercial film still concentrated on the tragedy of it all.
I watched this animated version and nobody dies, i mean for God's sake what is up with that?! It's making it seem like a joke.

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
come on guys its just a cartoon The reason why the titanic story Was wattered down is because It will upset LITTLE KIDS!

IF you wanna watch real titanic stuff POP
Anight to remember in the DVD player or VCR!

This S*** is Stupid the Point is its a Dumb ol cartoon This is pathetic us Over heating over A cartoon!

And on a cooler Note Where Is kyrilla Scully?

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Raymond, I think the only one getting particularly overheated in this thread is you
happy.gif

Simply because the cartoon is for children does not justify a.) the exploitation and subversion of a tragic accident into comedic tragedy and b.) the plagiarism of which its producers are guilty.

As has been pointed out, should we now expect a 'watered down' version of 9/11, with singing mice in sombreros in the WTC? How about the adventures of a rapping scots terrier during the Holocaust? Anyone fancy a romantic comedy-adventure set during the sinking of the Salem Express or the Estonia for the kiddies? A rollicking, rollercoaster of a comedy during the eruption of Versuvius, in which none of the cute little fuzzy anachronistic, anthropomorphic creatures dies?

From a creative standpoint, the movie is a disaster and the blatant use of characters and scenes from other movies, both cartoons and real-life action, constitutes intellectual property theft.

Children deserve quality entertainment as much as anyone else. And the people who were victims of this disaster deserve more respect.

I'm well aware that this is a cartoon. The animation medium is one that fascinates me, and one that I have had a great affection for. But I do not believe that the suggestions that 'it's just a children's movie' justifies an 'anything goes' attitude toward the disaster and its victims.

B

Bob Cruise

Ultimately, such "altered" versions for kiddies trivialize historic/important/tragic events.

I don't see that the kids learn anything - except that it's acceptable to trivialize historic/important/tragic events.

Let 'em stick with Alice, Dorothy and Johnny Appleseed - who are all infinitely more entertaining and enthralling.

If they want a story which mixes history with fantasy, let 'em watch something like "Ben & Me", a 1950s Disney featurette which details the relationship between Ben Franklin and a mouse (no, not THAT one). It's clever and lighthearted and free of any hint of tragedy (having been taken as it was, from a children's book).

Jun 8, 2003
"come on guys its just a cartoon The reason why the titanic story Was wattered down is because It will upset LITTLE KIDS! " - if they are going to water it down what is the point in making it at all? there are so many stories they culd make up! why distort titanic's story?!

Jul 12, 2003
Personally, I think creating an animated film about such a horrible tragedy and "watering" it down is an insult to those who lost their lives as well as to the survivors. Kids should learn of what happened...the whole truth...but when they are older and at an age to understand.

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
Why not gather all of the ET members and make a live action Film similar to a night to remember for Teens and younger children "No More Jack and rose
and no pop or rap May be the Musial score can Be a light hearted theme with a few lyrics I have 2 revell titanics Handy for this and some christmas lights.

C

Cassie Lougheed

Raymond please calm down and stop being so rude.

We are all expressing our opinions, if you don't like us debating over a cartoon, you have the option of leaving this thread.

I don't know why you are getting so heated about it.

Inger, excellet message. I agree with you, just what is next? A cartoon about the Nazi's with a singing, happy go lucky Hitler who's not really evil just misunderstood?

I hate the way children's intelligence is constantly insulted by film's like this travesty. They are much smarter than the movie makers give them credit for. When I was a child I enjoyed watching proper non animated serious documentary's and could understand them perfectly. Children don't need things dumbed down into silly cartoon form with talking animals and singing passengers.

It really is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.