An animated Titanic film

• Thread starter Cassie Lougheed
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joshua McCracken

I've gotta be honest, the positon of the THS in Connecticut has always aggravated me because they are extremely sensitive to pop culture references to the Titanic that aren't exactly in the spirit of mourning. I remember a couple years ago they went off about some animated film that made the whole thing into a 90 minute joke, and that is the only time I have ever agreed with them on an issue like this. I rented it soon afterward and only got about twenty minutes into it before I had to turn it off (in fact I made a point of returning it that night). However please remember that the Titanic disaster happened 91 years ago, and although it's a short enough time for people to still be sensitive on the issue, it's also a long enough time for most people to make fun of it. It's simply a reaction of time's passing, and not enough people saw this p.o.s. for anyone to be really affected by it. But, again, if you see this film on a shelf somewhere, for the love of God avoid it like it had the plague.

B

Bob Cruise

Josh - to a certain extent, I agree with you: with all the fanaticism associated with "TITANIC", I think certain jokes about the sinking are appropriate.

But let me qualify that.

The sinking was the airline disaster of its time (forget 9/11 - focus on ANY modern-day airline disaster). In which case - I am thoroughly against modern-day producers/writers putting - for the course of an entire film - a "happy" slant on a plane crash - much less a musical/animated one.

(Imagine the tap-dancing chorus of the 1933 film "Flying Down to Rio" on a downward-plunging plane which is spewing fire and smoke from its tail! Lends a whole new meaning to the words "Heaven - I'm in heaven...")

Raymond Leggs

Apr 3, 2003
THe problem is we are apalled by a cheesy cartoon that has Bad CGI Bad Music And A Bad Ending To Boot!!??
any way just take it lightly because any way a little kid who's watched James Camerons titanic or a night to remember or even the 1953 titanic Knows that People got Killed on the Titanic So If they watch the cartoon afterward the'll know.

This Bad Cartoon Probably would Inspire A little Kid into knowing moore About the titanic And Her Sisters And the ships Involved with Her Any How.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I see no problem with being appalled with a 'cheesy cartoon' that is both atrocious from a creative perspective (plagiarised, trite, poor animation, use of rehashed footage) and an insult to the memory of those who died in an horrific accident. Indeed, I think the issue is more why anyone would wonder at people taking offense at such an abomination.

I don't think this cartoon would 'inspire' people to find out more about the disaster. What it does is trivialise a very real tragedy. It sanitises, sugar-coats and ultimately mocks those who perished.

There is an appropriate way to deal with this subject for a younger audience (books such as Polar the Titanic Bear spring to mind). And I am not against animation being used as a potential medium to tell a story, either for adults or children, even if the story has some painful and tragic themes.

But this...this film is creatively and morally abhorent.

J

Joshua McCracken

As I said earlier, the Titanic happened 90 years ago, more than ample time for it to become less tragic and important to the world at large. Sounds horrible, I know, but it's the truth. My great-great-great grandfather served as a Confederate soldier yet all I heard in high school were redneck jokes about the Confederacy, as time goes by tragic events become less important, especially to people who have a generation or two in between them and the event. I guarantee that within a century there are going to be jokes going around about September 11 that will probably make us feel like punching the nearest wall as hard as we can. The people who made this horrible movie weren't doing it to hurt anyone's feelings or trivialize a tragedy, they were doing it to make a quick buck, and we live in a society in which the buck holds much more weight than human emotions.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I do realise that there is a distance and that there will be Titanic jokes. One doesn't even need to have distance - does anyone remember the jokes in the wake of the Challenger disaster? As tacky and tasteless as some of these jokes are, they do form an emotional safety valve. While it cuts some people to the quick, laughing at death is sometimes a way of coping with it.

This is something else entirely. I don't think it would, for example, be appropriate to make a movie about the eruption of Versuvius along the same lines as this train-wreck of a movie. Bob brought up the reference to Anastasia and, although that movie is rather more respectful of both death and creativity - and even manages some poignant moments - it raised rather a lot of controversy when it was made. The idea that the Russian Revolution was caused by an evil sorceror and his attendant demons is absolutely mindboggling. And, as one historian put it, would we be indulgant of a movie that had Anne Frank escaping from the Holocaust and moving to Paris to live with her boyfriend?

You're right that the motivation to make this movie was not to hurt people's feelings, but rather to make a quick buck. That's why I've used the word 'exploitative' in describing it. Production values are nil, creativity involved in doing it is nil, morality in making this mockery is nil. I live in a free society where I will defend the right of film makers to produce this absolute bilge, and would not suggest banning or censorship of the movie. However, within the perameters of that society, I will most certainly express my feelings that it is a vile, exploitative, reprehensible piece of rubbish that insults the memory of the victims of a tragic accident. That it does so from a desire to make money rather than out of any other agenda does not mitigate this execrable flick.

Mar 17, 2006
- Raymond Leggs: 1503 people dying could harm little kids? I myself saw Titanic (1997) when I was 10. Did I cry for the ship and for the victims? Yes. Did I have nightmares or anything? Not at all. And it was what caused my great interest into the Titanic.
Then, I saw A Night To Remember only a few days after Titanic (1997). Again, did I have nightmares or anything? Not at all.
And I saw Titanic (1953) when I was 11. Did I have nightmares or anything? Not at all.
So I can say that I watched 3 movies about the Titanic when I was a little kid, and yet I wasn't harmed in any way.

- Joshua McCracken: There are already numerous jokes, joke songs, etc. about 9/11 and Osama bin Laden. Just take the songs "The Bomb Song" or "I'm a little Taliban" for example. Or a video game in which your objective is to DESTROY the WTC.
Not that I like that stuff, though.

- Alex McLean: You said this:
"Then again, only one film has ever been made about Titanic that covers the main historical points, ANTR, and even that had a fictional love story."
Excuse me? ANTR did NOT have a fictional love story. Titanic (1943) had one from what I heard, Titanic (1953) had one, S.O.S. Titanic (1979) had several from what I heard, Titanic (1996) had two, and Titanic (1997) had one, but ANTR had none.
I believe ANTR was mainly centered around the Titanic itself, and, having seen both the movie and read the book recently, I can say that there are no fictional elements in ANTR.

Anyway, what I would like to see, is a modern remake of ANTR, still without fiction, but with the existing ANTR goofs corrected, and with all the new information we now have about the Titanic, and how it sank (including everything we know about the break-up), incorporated into it, of course with appropriate modern-day special effects - but not with exaggerated special effects as in Cameron's movie, though. ;)

Nov 5, 2006
Oh come on! No one dying! Whats gonna be next? Animated Hitler, and the patriot act? Its films like this that ruin the world! I could watch an animated version of the movie Titanic re enacted by bunnies, if it still was true to the original story, but not like this! As Onslow says in Keeping up Apperences:AW NICE!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Animated Hitler, and the patriot act? <<

Would it surprise you? If somebody can dream it up, Hollywood doesn't have a problem with trying it if they can get some backers to pony up the cash.

>>Its films like this that ruin the world! <<

Errrrrrr...I wouldn't take it that far. Cinema is filled with examples of truly bad films, and has been making them for over a century, but we've survived it.

Feb 9, 2006
There would be nothing wrong with a serious animated Titanic film. Something not watered down (err) for the kids could be neat if well-animated.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Something not watered down (err) for the kids could be neat if well-animated.<<

From what I've seen of some of the screenshots of this film, the animation really wasn't all that bad. It was everything else that made it such a loser. One of these days, the people who produce these films will come to realize that kids are rather tougher and more realistic about life's uglier twists then we're often willing to give them credit for.

Feb 18, 2006
I agree with the two previous posts. A well-made film would be appreciated. It's important to realize that we don't have to gloss over the tragedy, the deaths, just as we don't have to morbidly dwell on them either, ie, the bodies should be shown but don't have to be in close up. And why do we in America assume that animation is just kids' stuff? The Europeans and Japanese know that a lot of adults still watch animated films even without their children; why not a Titanic film?
Admittedly, I have no idea for a plot. My personal ideas run to the fanciful (the Titey spoof was fun), but most people would want to see something based on the truth, no talking mice or birds or such nonsense. Maybe a version of "Psalm at Journey's End"?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>And why do we in America assume that animation is just kids' stuff?<<

Good question. I've seen some rather adult content stuff that was animated. Heavy Metal comes to mind. In some ways, it would be a lot easier to do a Titanic movie in animation, and with modern CGI, there would be little real excuse for doing a bad job of it. CGI has been a core feature of a lot of productions and has been virtually a staple of science fiction features for quite some time. All else aside, it avoids the expense of building models and sets that would have to be disposed of somehow.

Luke Owens

Jan 18, 2007
Much as I hate to resurrect this particular thread, I just thought I'd mention that I found a copy of this...um...thing for sale at my local Blockbuster in the used rack. I bought it as part of the 3 for $20 deal and then cast it, unopened, into the burning barrel at the beach that night....

Luke

Feb 9, 2006
Oh my Lord, I never read the link to the review before. That's amazing. I read about the Holocaust when I was nine, new about news stories involving death for as long as I can remember, saw Cameron's Titanic in theaters when I was 11...I remember years and years ago, my dad explaining how the Titanic sunk, with an icecube tray. Yes, he told the truth to a small child, it sunk! The end result of all of that? I became obsessed with history and journalism. Movies about aliens gave me far more nightmares than anything involving disasters.

Basically, I agree with the previous posts about not protecting kids to absurd degrees.

I recently watched Anastacia, for some reason. Royalty overthrown, killed in a basement, country turns into USSR, more people killed by Stalin than Hitler...Oh yes, Disney-tastic!

I would really love to watch the piece of cinematic horror that is the animated Titanic, though. It just sounds so bad, that it's hard to quite believe it. I don't plan to go out of my way in the slightest to watch it, however...

I mean, really, a good animated Titanic...Might be a cool thing.

(Also, I don't get people who say that it was all a long time ago, don't get offended. For giant history nerds, the past seems a lot closer, than it does for people who think it was all just dates.)

Olonade Osho

Jul 4, 2007
Can i have the full clip of the titanic liverpool April 10, 1912. on VCD, Posted to The Mechanical Engineering dept. The federal poltechnic offa, P. M .B 420, Offa Kwara State Nigeria.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Olonade,

This is a Message Board forum, where people post messages and have discussions on Titanic and other ships. Therefore, you cannot request to have anything to be mailed to you, but perhaps a fellow member can assist you.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hollywood has already come up with an (indirect) idea for a fluffy Hitler show - remember "Springtime for Hitler" from Mel Brooks' magnificent comedy "The Producers"?

As for the cartoon, this is how I see it:

As the father of a three year old girl, to think of the terrible fate of the Allison family, plunged in to the dark, freezing waters of the North Atlantic at 2.20 in the morning to die in hopeless terror is beyond words.

At what point does it become acceptable to create a sanitised, "happy" cartoon about such an event for children who are much luckier than Lorraine Allison and the dozens of other children who died that night?

25 years? 100? 1000?

Never.

A truly sickening piece of money grubbing trash for which all involved in its production should be truly ashamed.

Feb 18, 2006
Titanic as an idea or symbol is one thing, and still fraught with risk. Personally I'm intrigued by the more bizarre stuff, but that's just me.
What's wrong with a straightforward telling of the story? It's been done with the Hiroshima bomb in Barefoot Gen, and with the life of John Paul II, not sparing the Nazi/Russian images. Titanic would fit nicely with these; the scenes of bodies would not have to be graphic. I could see the thing from a child's eye view, of not understanding or knowing, what do you think?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What's wrong with a straightforward telling of the story?<<

Ann, some of us have been asking that exact question for years. I don't think there's anything wrong with just telling the real story at all. Don't embellish it, just tell it.

Unfortunately, the Hollywood types who make the decisions seem to think that anything like that just won't sell tickets and in fairness, they may have a point. With Hollywood, the bottom line rules and it has to. Unlike the government, they cannot compel revenue under penalty of law.

They have to convince they customer that they want what they're peddling or go bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.