An Author to Remember

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
rather than contribute to another thread currently running, I would like to remember Walter Lord another way.

we who are so fascinated by Titanic will be forever thankful to Walter Lord for his extraordinary account of the disaster. and it is easy to forget that this subject was just one of many which interested the man and inspired him to write about over the long span of his career.

in all, he wrote 12 major works. many people know about his books about Pearl Harbor and the Alamo. but he also wrote about the American War of 1812, the British evacuation at Dunkirk, the battle of Midway, even about the Civil Rights movement in 1960s Mississippi.

few know that he also wrote a children's book about Peary's race to the pole. the breadth of the man's interests was just spectacular. he truly is an Author to Remember.

if you are interested, there is a complete list of his books on my website. please see Walter Lord's Author Page:

http://titanicbooksi te.com/author%20page s/LordWalter.html#An chor-The-14953

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Michael,

I totally agree with you. Great post!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Sep 20, 2000
Michael:

Hear, hear! My hat's off to you. Walter was indeed an impressive author and historian, master of several realms. And a fine human being! (I couldn't even count the number of times I've come across testimonials from *current* Titanic researchers who, during their formative years, wrote to Walter Lord with some personal concern about the Titanic story -- perhaps even "silly" questions -- and received a courteous and encouraging response.)

One of Walter's superb talents, I think -- one rarely duplicated -- was his uncanny ability to speak directly to the heart and soul of the reader while dealing squarely with the facts. And as evidenced by the responses on the "other" thread, few would deny that lasting impact.

Was he perfect? No. (Walter realized that himself, about himself, and said so.) Was he great? Well, I sure think so. And apparently a lot of other people here agree, even some who don't entirely agree with Walter's conclusions.

To be loved by your friends is somewhat expected. To also be revered by your erstwhile "opponents" is a tribute indeed!

Cheers,
John
(who's still looking forward to "The Good Years")

Aug 29, 2000
So many lovely things being written in various papers- here are a few today: Stanley Walker (book reviewer for the NY Times) " ANTR was based on a kind of literary pointillism, the arrangement of contrasting bits of fact and emotion in such a fashion that a vivid real impression of an event is conveyed to the reader." Newsweek's David McCullough credits Walter as an inspiration for his own successful career as a writer of popular histories (recently, JOHN ADAMS)- "He really knew how to do research and how not to use ALL the research he found." "He was very good at knowing what to leave out, using what he knew to give the right atmosphere, without troweling it on." "His ANTR was the first non-fiction book I ever read and that left me spellbound." "...I studied it and tried to understand its architecture. Walter received the Francis Parkman Prize from the Society of American Authors in 1994- for special achievement and a lifetime of dedication to American history. He served on the boards of the Union Settlement, NY Society Library, NY Historical Society, and the Authors Guild. These are but a few. Steven Biel, author of the recent DOWN WITH THE OLD CANOE says, " Mr. Lord gave the disaster its fullest retelling since 1912 and brought the Titanic's drama and significance alive for a modern audience." I couldn't have said it all better myself.

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 13, 1999
Dear Michael,
Thank you for your post, I agree whole-heartedly with you. In fact, one of my favorite books is Walter Lord's "Day of Infamy" dealing with Pearl Harbor. This is the way that Walter Lord deserves to be remembered, as the excellent historian with a passion for what he wrote about. He will be missed.
All my best,
Tad

D

Deleted member 173198

Well said Michael!

A great man who will always be remembered forever.

Andrew W.

Mar 20, 2000
I first read ANTR at the age of 9 in 1978. It was a 1st edition copy from my hometown library. I recently went back to find that book. It was moving to be reminded, looking at the stamped dates from 24 years ago, that I checked it out 6 times!

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
It must have been around 1967 or so, when I was nine, that I first read ANTR. Our school had a book fair and when I spied ANTR among the books for sale, I snapped it up. I'd seen the 1953 Titanic movie a few years before and I wanted to know more. This book was a paperback copy, which I've since lost...I lent it to someone who never returned it. I replaced it a few years ago with a hardback copy I found at a flea market.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Great find on the hardback Tracy. I should be so lucky. Such is life though. What counts in my opinion was that he made the events come alive and he put it in a very readable style. That's a rare talant and no small trick when attempting to write history.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Oct 13, 2000
great story, Randy. and incredible that the same copy was still there in the library after all that time!

best, Michael (TheManInBlack)

Status
Not open for further replies.