And the Golden Commutator for Best Titanic Book Goes To

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
Hi all,

whenever I get together with groups to talk about Titanic books, people are always surprised at the large number of books that exist on the subject.

Americans being Americans, inevitably the question is raised "Which is the best Titanic book of all"?

Now the best answer, of course, is that there is no singe Best Book, as there are many books which are all excellent in their own ways.This may be true, but it is also a completely insufficient answer.

So I thought I would ask the pros, the members of this site. If you had to pick one book as the best Titanic book of them all, which would it be? and why?

thanks for your thoughts.
all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T
who already has his own pick, but didn't want to skew the results. I promise I will fess up as to my favorite in a few days time.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
While none of them is perfect, I would have to say for sheer completeness of information on the whole story, Titanic, The Illustrated History and Titanic, Triumph and Tragedy top the list.

For sheer wealth of detail on the technical aspects of the Olympic class liners, the Shipbuilder Special is a very tough act to beat

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I like both Eaton and Haas books, the Illustrated history.....and the old standby that got me hooked on the Titanic in the first place, "A Night to Remember". And, of course, as the resident Lordite, I liked Padfield's,"Titanic and Californian."

This list might be revised as I get my hands on more Titanic books

Oct 13, 2000
Hi all,

could have sworn I started this thread under 'Titanic books'; don't know how it ended up here under 'General Questions'. anyway, I am heading out of town for a week so figured I might just as well throw my nominee into the ring.

my vote goes to second class survivor Lawrence Beesley's book The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons.

At a time when most books on the subject were as much speculation and sensationalism as fact, Beesley's was incredibly honest and accurate. Even today, with all we know about the wreck, there isn't a whole lot you can point to in Beesley's book as wrong. It is a tremendous accomplishment considering all Beesley had to go on was his own experience and the conflicting experiences of the many survivors he talked to.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Aug 29, 2000
Yep- Maiden Voyage gets my vote too. Wade's Titanic- End of a Dream is good stuff-love the chapter "Pilots of the Purple Twilight"- These both have luscious writing-nearly poetic at times. They are a visual feast for the mind's eye. Only Way to Cross has a good bit on the T and gives a real feeling for sailing on a liner. Haas/Eaton Destination Disaster and Triumph to Tragedy are good in a different way and for sheer beauty and human interest detail- the Lynch Illustrated History coffee table tome is tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.