And Then There Were 3

Mar 15, 2001
Thanks Phillip for that information. I had read somewhere before that Winnifred and her husband had driven to 48 of the states. Its a shame she never overcame her fear of flying and of the water.

Feb 14, 2011
Did Ms. Tongerloo have a vivid memory of the sinking? Has she ever penned her account of the disaster?

Its clear Milvena Dean remebers nothing of the sinking.

How about Barbara West- has she spoken of the disaster?

I suspect Lilian Asplund's memories must be vivid,having lost siblings. No wonder she never speaks of the tragedy.

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 7, 2000
Phil,

Thank you very much for letting us know. It is very sad to hear that we had to part with yet another survivor, who still had some recollections of her trip aboard the Titanic. May she rest in peace.

Regards,

Daniel.

Kris Muhvic

Sep 26, 2008
Oh, this is sad. My condolences to all who knew her. Even though she was a fellow Michigander, I never met her...and that she died in the same hospital that I was born, well; I have no choice but to always remember her~

And that is something we can all do.
Kris

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
When I read the title "And then there were 3" I said to myself, Not another one.
sad.gif

I'm very sorry to hear this. It sounds like she had a good and long life though.

Cordially,

Andrew Maheux

M

Mikael Jonsson

This is sad
sad.gif

Then Asplund is the only one left with memories. Does anyone know how much she really remember since she only was 6 or actually 5.

Mar 15, 2001
I have a question, was there a photograph in the obituary for Winnifred and has anyone read about her death in their local paper or seen anything on television concerning her death?

May 8, 2001
I have not come across anything in the local San Bernardino County newspapers as of yet. I keep looking in case it is out somewhere.
Colleen

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I concur with Darren's quote from Alex Haley. How fortunate for history that she lived a long and fruitful life. We have all been blessed by the survivors. I owe my life to them. They inspired me at age 9 to overcome severe traumas I had already experienced at so tender an age. If not for the thought that if they could survive the Titanic, I could survive what I was going through, perhaps I would not be here today. God bless Mrs. Van Tongerloo in death.
"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." Psalm 116:15

C

chris simpson

Dont know if anyone saw but Winnifred Quick Van Tongerloo died...one of the last remaining survivors she was 8 when the ship went down

Teresa Parks

Sep 9, 2007
This was in our local newspaper today:
Winnifred Quick Van Tongerloo, one of the few remaining survivors of the Titanic sinking, has died at age 98.
(I'm paraphrasing now - for space)
She was 8 when the Titanic went down.......
She died last Thursday on July 4th, 2002 in East Lansing , where she had moved after breaking her hip 6 years ago, the Detroit Free Press reported.
She, of course, was an honorary member of the "Titanic Historical Society"......
After artifacts from the ship was brought up in 1987 & a tv program was made about it, Van Tongerloo was one of the survivors interviewed. She said the progarm was interesting "but a little on the phony side." Van Tongerloo also said she had never expected scientists to find the ship at a depth of 2 1/2 miles.
Survivors, include 2 daughters, a son, nine grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren, and 5 great-great grandchildren.
Services were schueduled for Tuesday in Warren, with a burial in Detroit, where she grew up.

Mar 15, 2001
I know a death in the family is a private affair and should be. However, I am still amazed at how the AP has not reported this notable death. In Walter Lord's book "The Night Lives On", Walter speaks of how "in America every survivor now rates an obituary in the New York Times. He goes on to say "Typical was the case of 90-year old Ethel Beane,who lived in Rochester, New York,in 1983. She hadn't even told her Titanic experiences for 71 years. But she was nevertheless newsworthy-simply by being a survivor".

Apr 14, 2001
i also would like to express my condolences on the death of mrs tongerloo and i hope that she will rest in peace and i would also like to say eventhough miss dean was a baby when the sinking happened she must have some memories of the events because she remembers being put into a sack when she was rescued by the carpethia jennifer mueller

Dec 2, 2000
I am so sorry that Phil and George have lost a friend and that Mrs Tongerloo's family have lost a loved one. Give my best to George, Phil and also to the family as they mourn.

Darren, death and weddings can be very private affairs by choice, not necessarily due to lack of appreciation of the situation by the media. The family may simply be respecting Mrs Tongerloo's desires for privacy and have requested no media coverage or just did not announce it far and wide.
But she will certainly be missed.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
That is sad news about Mrs Tongaloo. Like John said she was blessed with a long long life. I bet we all wish we could make it to 98 don't we.

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Darren,

In the Ottawa Citizen, Dated I think July 6, 2002 there is an article written by Alan Hustack (sp?) called "TITANIC SURVIVOR DIES, JUST THREE REMAIN"

I will post the article when I find the time.

Andrew M.