And Then There Were 3

Mar 15, 2001
Thanks Filipe for the website with her photo. The only other photograph I have seen of Winnifred was one that Ed Kamuda let me see. Andrew, thanks for your information, I am looking forward to seeing that article. I did see a small "Deaths of Note" in the Charlotte Observer the other day.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I think the quote in the Yahoo obit was cute. It mentioned that Mrs. Van Tongerloo was interviewed about the 1987 program where artifacts were brought up from Titanic, and asked if she enjoyed the program. She said, "Yeah, but it was a little phony."

Richard Paola

Nov 17, 2001
the only other photo i've seen of Mrs. Tongerloo was in the book, Titanic - Great Lakes Connection.. she appears there as a young child (probably at the time of the sinking), along with her mother and sister....indeed, sad to hear the news about her passing..

Jul 14, 2002
Mrs. Van Tongerloo's obituary was carried in thursday's Boston Herald, as well as Friday's (7/1202) New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/12/obituaries/12VANT.html
I remember reading 'The Night Lives On" by Walter Lord, and he mentioned that the story of the Titanic has become so huge, that the death of survivors has warranted their obituary to be carried in the New York Times. This has proven true, since as far back as I can remember, the most recent death announcments have been there.