ANDREA DORIA ATTN Collectors

Jan 29, 2001
Good Evening:

A most wonderful *treasure* was bestowed upon me today. About two weeks ago a regular client of the company that I work for spoke..."I've got a present for you...a painting of a ship". Seems that the family was preparing a garage sale of his Mother's when they came upon the painting. My friend Steve (Client) said "No that one stays".

Two weeks ago he told me the ship's name began with the letter "D", and it is dated 1951. So I anxiously tossed the letter "D" around in my head
and hoped for the best...maybe the last name starts with a "D".

Lo and behold the painting, is what I feel a *home office* painting of the ANDREA DORIA/CRISTOFORO COLOMBO (Measures precisely 28 3/4 x 19 1/2. Adorened by the typical brass tag. The artist signed and dated the painting... E. Patome ?...1951.

Only out of my sincere interest in liners, and the conveyence of such was this granted to me.
For I know of some associated value, but the patron of our establishment refused any generous offer on my behalf. :)

Can any DORIA enthusiasts enlighten me furthur on this treasure?

Thank You and Sincerely,

Michael A. Cundiff
U.S.A.

May 8, 2001
HI Michael. Thought about you while listening to the great adventures of Bill & Susan Willard in Carolina 2 weeks ago. They had some interesting stories, and brought a wig stand to show that had been compressed down at Titanic.
What a priceless treasure you have been bestowed. Wish I had some answers for you. I just wanted to say hello since I haven't seen you around lately.
Sincerely:
Colleen

Jan 29, 2001
Hello:

First Colleen...thank you for the warm response.
I wish I had Bill W's head :) to add to my post '85 collection of TITANIC. Matthew Tulloch shared in a correspondence that the French adorned their *Little Yellow Submarine" (NAUTILE) with your standard styrofoam coffee cups. Upon their return of a perilous journey the cups had retained their shape (i.e. no disfiguration) save from one major detail...they had shurunk to the size of thimbles!

Perhaps I should share more on the details DORIA painting The artist signed and dated the painting in the upper left corner, and it is somewhat concealed by the original 2 1/2" width of the top member of the oak frame. It looks like S. Pafume 1951. It is a DORIA/COLOMBO 3/4 starboard profile (Similar to Marschall's "Greatest Work of Man" - Or should I say *Greatest Work of Ken?...:)

The canvas is immaculate, the brass identifying tag is precisely located in the center of the lower frame member: S.S. ANDREA DORIA
S.S. CRISTOFORO COLUMBO
ITALIAN LINE (Script)

BTW, someone many moons ago wrote F R E E on the backing of the canvas. The piece by far carries it's own provenance.

Thanks again Colleen...:)

Sincerely,
Michael A. Cundiff
U.S.A.