Andrea Doria : wish there was a movie

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Gday all.......
I think the story and events behind the Andrea Doria's sinking is a amazing piece of sea history.The titanic has been made 5 or 6 times ,The Poseideion Adventure is been remade (twice).Why cant someone bring this story to our big screens.It doesnt need to be a massive block buster but a true story on what happened that night.
If you remember the movie "Ghost Ship" , the ship/model was based on the Andrea Doria and it was the closes we have been as yet.Next year is 50 years since her sinking , come on Hollywood bring her back to life on the screen for us.
Regards Linerdan........just wishing
happy.gif

May 7, 2005
Come to think of it. I wouldn't mind an Andrea Doria flick. If Spielberg can pull off Amistad than certainly anyone can pull off Andrea Doria

Feb 24, 2004
I'm wondering, though, if the Andrea Doria sinking has the kind of intense story line that Hollywood loves so much. Do you think they could present it without adding all sorts of superfluous dramatic "improvements?" The Titanic is a godsend for film makers because it just builds and builds... and ultimately leaves its audience breathless. Do you think the Andrea Doria could survive the Hollywood "treatment"? Or do you think IMAX might do a better job of it with a quasi-documentary more like, say, "Ghosts of the Abyss"? Just curious.

Roy

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
I would love to see it myself, but I have to agree with Roy that the story doesn't have enough oomph. The Poseidon Adventure was fiction, so they could do with it whatever they wanted, while the Titanic story is so incredible and full of true-life drama that it sells itself.

The true tale of two ships colliding in the fog with a relatively minimal loss of life is not the stuff of Hollywood blockbusters, and I mean that with absolutely no disrespect to those who did lose their lives in the tragedy. It happened almost half a century ago and is a largely forgotten slice of history for all but those who were involved and a relative handful of liner buffs. Lusitania would be a more likely candidate for a big budget true-life ship disaster movie, and even she has not been afforded that "honour."

The inevitable consequence would be, as Roy suggests, a lot of made-up fluff to pad out the story. The best we can hope for, at a push, is a low key made-for-TV movie or (shudder) an el rubbisho like "Britannic." As has been pointed out many times before on this board, making movies is about trying to make a profit through putting Bums on Seats. Andrea Doria/Stockholm just doesn't have that kind of pulling power at the box office, I wouldn't think.

Pity, but them's the realities of showbiz.

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Didn't the Andrea Doria take 11 hours to sink?
If a film was made of that, even if cut down considerably, we'd be looking at a high budget LOTR style saga - and knowing Hollywood these days, it wouldn't be worth the film it's printed on.
I'd go and see it, though.

Feb 24, 2004
I think they'd need to consider just what happened during those 11 hours that's worth putting on the screen. The Titanic took 2 3/4 hours to sink, but it's never been shown sinking in real time - not even in JC's film. One of my problems with Titanic films in general is that they all tend to concentrate on the famous icons: Astor, Guggenheim, Molly Brown, the Strauses, etc. That eats up a lot of film time when many other equally (if not more) fascinating stories aren't ever touched on. In all honesty, to me JC's Jack/Rose mess was a total waste of time. "Ghosts of the Abyss" is far more effective, with its cutting between past and present, showing the honest reactions of the scientists and historians, in cutting to the emotional heart of the Titanic disaster.

Roy

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Well, with Andrea Doria among the plot points to consider:

The long struggle to extricate Jane Cianfarra (mother of Linda Morgan)from the mattress coils which, apparently were wrapped around her lower body and locked together rather like a damaged Slinky.

The Martha Peterson story.

Peter Thieriot.
The Guzzi family and their fate.
Ditto for the Dianas.

Benenuto Iazetta's efforts to get anyone from the crew to free his wife, Amelia, and relatives (Christina Covina and Margaret Carola) from Cabin A-230 in which they may have been trapped. The lone rescue party sent to their aid rescued trapped Rosemarie Wells from Cabin A-236, and assumed that they had been given the wrong number, possibly leaving the trapped women to die the following morning as the ship rolled over.

The horrible chaos in evacuating, which killed two additional passengers.

The service crew abandoning ship ahead of the passengers.

The arrival of the Ile de France just as the fog lifted.

Not-quite-miracle-girl Jeanette Carlin who had the same experience as Linda Morgan but did not survive it.

The presence of B-list Hollywood figures, plus a pair of refugee ballet stars.

The merciful absense of a Mollie Brown figure, sparing viewers yet another one woman ham-a-thon.

Robert Hudson, which does have potential for hammy pyrotechnics.

No big scene in which the band reunites for one final number.

The big party in steerage featured pop music, sparing us yet another run through of salt of the earth immigrants folk dancing.

The weird post script about victim Laura Bremmermann.

Alf Johannson (sic?)

Recently discovered color film of the disaster, shot from at least three vantage points.

Seems like something passable could be hammered together from all of that.

May 1, 2010
Jim, you are ever so right. Alvin Mostow's excellent book "Collision Course would be perfect to pattern the movie after. I couldn't put that book down, but I'm wierd that way. You have the tension on the bridges of the two ships, The dual-range radar set on the wrong range, the crew abandoning ship and leaving passengers behind, lots of good-movie stuff.
I'll bet that the collision and subsequent sinking could be re-created with CG effects, and would be awesome.

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Thanks Jim , your points show that there is enough drama and tension to put together a basic movie to keep people interested.It does'nt have to be 3 hours long and a muilt million dollar blockbuster.ANTR was made basic with a good script , great actors and just some well done sets.No reason an Andrea Doria movie couldnt follow in silimar footsteps.
Possible movie tittles:
* Collision Course
* Drama at sea
* The Greatest Rescue ever
* The Andrea Doria Story
* Liner-Fog-Collision!
* Collision at Sea

K

Kyle Johnstone

I wonder if the public would be interested in another ship disaster flick, what with "Titanic" still fresh in people's minds and the two "Poseidon Adventure"'s coming next year.

Another ship flick would probably have to star major boxoffice talent for people to be interested.

I was absolutely riveted when I read "Saved", by William Hoffer. In my opinion, there was plenty of true-life drama aboard both the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm (let's not forget those who were fataly injured on the Stockholm) for a hugely engrossing big-screen retelling of this story.

Remember a few years ago a huge hit about an anonymous fishing boat lost at sea? On paper...another lost fishing boat, so what? Done right on the big screen, it was a monster hit at theatres.

Kyle

May 1, 2010
?????You're Right, I never once heard anyone once say "jolly good show, chap" or "Git off yer bum and swab the foc'sle you scurvy knave" Arrrgh!! sorry, just havin'fun with ya

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>I never once heard anyone once say "jolly good show, chap" or "Git off yer bum and swab the foc'sle you scurvy knave"

Oh, so you missed the restored director's version?
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>When did Gloucester, Massachusetts, get moved out of the United States? That's what I missed! <<

So did the people in Gloucester, unless the "Big One" which was supposed to dump Los Angeles into the Pacific happened in Massachusetts and nobody noticed!
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2004
We on the West Coast got so tired of being hit by earthquakes we rammed a resolution through Congress declaring earthquakes an Equal Opportunity Disaster. Massachusetts is now the new Atlantis...
'-)

Roy

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
I know a lot of people say that JC's "Titanic" was to "Americanized" but where is the British director and British Film studios when you need/want them?