Andrea Doria

Pedro Soares

Aug 6, 2001
Portugal
Could anyone tell me where this wreck is and if there has been any exploration on it? and I would like to know if there`s any ship sank deeper than the titanic.

thank you very much

Pedro Soares

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Actually the ship is in fairly shallow water compared to Titanic. It is off the coast of Nantucket in about 300 feet of water or so. There is a book called,
' Andrea Doria Dive to an Era ' by Gary Gentile

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Pedro, Andrea Doria lies in 240 feet and is on the borderline for amateur divers using air. For this reason the ordinary scuba diver should not risk it. There's a lot about it on the Internet, such as http://www.mad-dog.net/PLACES/andrea.HTMl

As to seeking deeper than Titanic, it's very likely some ships have. From memory, the deepest part of the ocean is over 10,000 metres. Titanic lies in a bit under 4,000, which is a very ordinary depth for the open ocean.

G

Gavin Murphy

Does anyone have any idea how much a Doria menu from 1st class is worth? It is not from the final voyage.

I traded it for a vintage framed Lucy print, somewhat similar to the Tichnor Bros. T print, but smaller. It was published by the Montreal Standard newspaper. It seemed like a fair deal to me.

Comments?

Thanx in advance.

G

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
I bought one last summer from an ocean liner dealer for $20. It was in excellent condition.
So I would say that would be the round about price give or take $5

Apr 11, 2001
Hope you caught the noontime airing on the Discovery Channel- it usually gets repeated at night- it was the Gimball safe retrieval documentary. Really good stuff- and great underwater photography-I had forgotten how exciting that expedition was-sorry to learn that both Gimballs are gone now- wonder if the purser's safe will ever come up. I know one diver who has salvaged a lot of stuff from her and says the wreck is a real death trap and getting worse with years. Good program to catch if you can.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Shelley, I caught the last five minutes of the show and that was it. The conservators seem to have done a wonderful job restoring the currency they found in that safe.

I'm not surprised that the ship's condition is getting worse. The water is not as cold as in the deeper parts of the Atlantic for one thing so corrosion is going to be proceeding at a faster rate. Add to that the fact that the ship rolled over and sank on it's side...then settled on the bottom that way. Going in, any diver will be disoriented from the start, and they have to deal with all sorts of debris which is scattered helter skelter through the wreck...to say nothing of something that may collapse with no warning.

Wreck diving is NOT a passtime for amatures.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 11, 2001
Fishing nets have snagged her and now form a spiderweb-like shroud. It's creepy to see the fish caught in the nets. What was really exciting was to see the size of the hole- ENORMOUS- which was not known before that dive. The saturation divers (a scarey technique) were looking for that watertight door which was rumored to either be missing or latched back. Turns out when the Stockholm bit into her, she twisted a bit on the way out- it wouldn't have mattered if the door was there or not.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Those fishing nets are quite a hazard in their own right. I've seen some photos of the wreck and also some of Ken Marschal's work portraying her as she was the day she sank and as she is now. The wheel house is missing and so it would seem is quite a bit of whatever was below it. God knows what's collapsed on the inside since then.

The size of the hole isn't much of a surprise to me as the Stockholm hit her pretty hard. What's amazing is that with such a gaping hole that the ship remained afloat as long as she did.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Thomas Ford

Jun 22, 2010
I think the only way to salvage the purser's safe is to bring up the andrea doria,people have meddled with the idea of raising the Britannic and they say it could be done,i doubt the doria could be raised,but it would be alot better than the britannic,which is far larger and in deeper water.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As far gone as the hull is, I suspect the idea of raising the ship is a non-starter. Besides, the idea in getting the safe would be to make money or to get artifacts for a museum. Raising the ship...if technically possible, would be horribly expensive. Far more costly then anything of value which could be found in a safe.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
About the purser's safe...
I spoke with a survivor who was an importer-exporter and he went down to get his money from the purser's office. He found the safe on it's front and unfortunately as the ship tilted more and more onto it's side he had to abandon his efforts and escape.
There is a rare little book on the sinking called, " In the Wake of the Andrea Doria ". it is by a survivor. It is a very graphic account to say the least.

L

Lisa James

Interesting piece on the Andrea Doria last night on the History channel.(i think)
It mentioned that the Andrea Doria is considered the Mt.Everest of shipwrecks because of the amount of divers who have lost their lives there exploring.