Andrea Doria

S

Stacie Crowther

My grandmother sailed on the Andrea Doria and wept of her sinking (of course she was not on at the time of her demise). She, at 87, still speaks of her grandeur and beauty.

M

Mike Shetina

Hello,
A new book called Desperate Hours by Richard Goldstein tells of the sinking in A night to remember style.
Best Wishes,
Michael Shetina

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Here are are 4 good books which tell the story of the Andrea Doria.

1. Collision Course, Alvin Moscow

2. Saved!, William Hoffer

3. Out of the Fog, Algot Mattsson

4. Desperate Hours, Richard Goldstein

also look into Ile De France by Don Stanford and Captain of the Ile by the captain of the Ile De France

Jan 21, 2003
Did anyone watch the program on the Andrea Doria last night on the history channel with ken marschall's updated painting of the wreck.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
I have checked our [NZ] History Channel refs and see nothing of the Deep Sea Detectives series yet upcoming. I note on HC homepage [US version] it is an hour long so I will definietly tape it.

Does the Marschall wreck painting update the one that appears on the back cover of LOST LINERS?
If so please describe the differences.
Thanks in advance

Martin

Jan 21, 2003
The Lido Deck has completely collapsed and a large mid-section of the promenade and upper deck its slow collapsing right now its just bent down.

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I did watch the Deep Sea Detectives show on the History Channel a few nights ago,and I was shocked to see how much of the upper decks of the Andrea Doria has collapsed in the last 10 years.The rust on the hull of the Andrea Doria looks almost as bad as the rust on the hull of the Titanic. Sincerely,Jerry Nuovo

M

Mike G. Anderson

Did anybody that saw the show think the whole attempt to reach "the point of impact" to discover "new information" seemed ridiculously reckless? I'm no expert diver, but everything I've heard about the Andrea Doria makes it seem like an incredibly dangerous dive. Going inside the ship with no prior knowlege of what corridors had collapsed, rusted away, etc. with a little flashlight seems extremely risky. (Not to mention pointless) Anyway, I can't imagine that reaching some dead end blocked up with twisted metal would reveal much regarding the sinking.

Still a pretty interesting show, if just for the sinking footage. Have to say, though, that the unnaturally close close-ups of the hosts were a bit creepy.

Dec 4, 2000
Mike -- I've assised with a couple of those programs. They are meant to be entertainments, not definitive research into the subject vessels. The scripts often claim the two hosts "discover" new material when, in fact, the details are already well known. This is done for dramatic purposes. Their effort to visit the Doria's wound was nothing more than a "thread" binding the story together. I'm sure they would have gone there if it were possible, but the drama was in the attempt and not the accomplishment.

My objection to the program was the conclusion that the Stockholm caused the accident by following the Rules of the Road with regard to turning right. It was also curious they ignored the Doria captain's admission he turned left, which is contrary to the Rules. In the end, both ships had blame enough for the accident but you wouldn't know that from watching the show.

That's show biz.

-- David G. Brown

Jan 29, 2001
Hello:

Recently I met an interesting gentleman at my place of business. His name is Richard Reventlow, he sailed with his family on the ANDREA DORIA as a seven year old. He mentioned that he still had the suitcase bearing the baggage tag and was so kind to forward me, from Palm Beach, FL a color photograph.

It seems his father was a COUNT as the tag reads:

ITALIA CABINA NO. 49
Count Reventlow
"Andrea Doria"
De Cannes
May 27th 1954
Porto di sbarco New York

In his letter Richard also states he sailed on QE1, QM1, Cristoforo Colombo, S.S.U.S., Independence and Constitution. What a thrilling childhood!

To top it off...he is a descendant of John Jacob Astor. Is there an Astor family tree where his name may appear?

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Might he be related to the Count Reventlow who was married to Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton, in the 1930s? You may be able to find a family link by researching her ties to Count von Haugwitz-Reventlow with whom she had one son, Lance. Lance was born in 1936 and was most likely not your customer's father, but he might have had an older brother. I believe he, Lance, was in the car with James Dean when he had the fatal wipeout. Survived, but died a few years back

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Lance Reventlow was possibly the last person to speak to James Dean, when they met by chance while Dean was on his way to a race meeting at Salinas. The fatal accident happened at some time after they had parted company. Reventlow died in a light aircraft accident about 30 years ago.

Apr 3, 2006
I was curious if anyone had done any research on the passengers on the last voyage, beyond what is on Anthony Grillo's website. I've been trying to come up with information on some of the passengers.

I have found a Paul DiMare, founder of a produce company. There is also a Paul DiMare on the first class passenger list.

I found a Bert LaBrucherie, the coach of the UCLA Bruins. I think he may have been married to Ennis LaBrucherie, also on the first class list.