Andrea Doria's bell recovered

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
A very interesting story and good to see the Andrea Doria still getting some attention from the divers, but did anybody else notice the comments on the story below?

Honestly, the half-wits that have got nothing good to say about it probably haven't even heard of the Andrea Doria. Really frustrating, because this kind of thing IS interesting to some people.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>...but did anybody else notice the comments on the story below?<<

I noticed but I don't take a lot of them too seriously. A couple of the "commentators" actually appreciate the risks that these divers were taking and the historical signifigence of the bell. As for some of the others, if they're really as massively underwhelmed as they claim, one really has to wonder why they even bothered to read the story.

J

Jeff Brebner

The Doria is a notoriously dangerous wreck to dive, with numerous fatalities. Perhaps some of those clowns should try following Gary Gentile (no surprise he was involved) on a dive or two before comparing it to rescuing shades dropped off a pier.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Don't be too frustrated Adam. Some people have nothing better to do than seek some form of recognition by writing irrelevant comments about any story they happen to read about. They must be part of the group of guys in sleeveless t-shirts donning Ray Bans and hanging around the docks all over the south Jersey shore drinking Budweiser all day long that someone was referring to.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hey guys,

Yeah you're all probably just about right. It's just annoying though because it always happens - you can read a news story about any subject anywhere in the world, and no matter how upbeat and good it is, you'll without fail have atleast a couple of people trying to shoot it down. Obviously very sad individuals, but it's easy for them to do so when they can just hide behind a username on the internet. It's easy to be an armchair critic.

Anyway, yes, well done to the Andrea Doria divers....they deserve credit for that, it wouldn't have been easy.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
One of our own members, a gent by the name of David Bright, lost his life in the course of a dive on this ship. It ain't called the Mount Everest of Shipwrecks for nothing!

I guess that's what really annoys me about the armchair critics. They can't do this sort of thing themselves, they don't understand what's involved or even why it matters, but they're emminantly willing to criticise it.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Michael:

You've summed it up well. As the saying goes:
Those who can, do. Those who can't, become critics.

May 1, 2010
Very cool find. As far as the lame comments, one should just get over it. Virtually every story on Yahoo (and many others) have their share of ignoramus' comments, usually politics and religion.
I have come to realize that not everyone is born with intelligence.