Andrews and Rose

C

Catherine Ehlers

I don't know whether or not this is a controversial topic, but watching the Cameron movie it seems to me that Thomas Andrews seems to be somewhat smitten with Rose. It's not really dwelt upon, but he really seems to like her a lot. Does anyone know whether Cameron intended this or not, or it is just something that some people are reading into the movie (I guess because they like Victor Garber)?

Thanks for any input.

Cathy Ehlers

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
My own impression was that the character as presented was being gracoius towards a lady, yet who was also both surprised (pleasently) and happy to find anyone who would actually ask him some intelligent questions.

But that's just my own read on it. Since I can't read Cameron's mind, I could be way wrong.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Reactions: 1 user

Kathy Bruce

Oct 4, 2000
Hello

When I watched the movie titanic I've also notices that too, Thomas Andrews very nice and sweet to Rose, I think because something happen to her father and Thomas Andrews was like a "Father Figure" to her, the real Thomas Andrews was married and had a daughter for some reason James Cameron didn't mention about him being married in the movie, I'm a huge fan of Victor Garber who played him. I was reading something on the Internet of Thomas Andrews that he was a really nice guy.
Kathy

I don't know whether or not this is a controversial topic, but watching the Cameron movie it seems to me that Thomas Andrews seems to be somewhat smitten with Rose. It's not really dwelt upon, but he really seems to like her a lot. Does anyone know whether Cameron intended this or not, or it is just something that some people are reading into the movie (I guess because they like Victor Garber)?

Thanks for any input.

Cathy Ehlers

C

Christine Geyer

Hi !

I don't think it was Camerons intention to make them look like they're kind of falling in love or something like that. From what I've read Thomas Andrews was an extraordinary man who cared alot and paid much attention to the people around him, and people trusted a lot in him and his opinion. When the disaster occurred he still stayed calm (at least he made it seem so). He seemed to have the same "gift" like Jack and "see people" cause after the collision passengers and crew met him and asked him about it and he had just the right words for everybody, even the most different characters.

So when you remember that he even watched the workmens crew with kind of "familiar" eyes (remember that scene at the port that his wife described later) I think that Cameron tried to show this special characteristic, to have an open ear for everybody and being very understanding and a sensitive and warm-hearted man.

... uh what a melancholic morning... ;)

See you all later,
Christine

Reactions: 1 users
Jan 31, 2001
I think Andrews was just an all-around nice guy, and perhaps he had noticed that Rose seemed to be depressed and was just giving her a little more attention or something.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
I agree with Brandon.

I think Victor Garber, more than any other actor, conveyed the sheer enormity and shock of the disaster better than anyone in the film when he says simply to Rose at the bottom of the grand staircase: "The ship will sink."

Interestingly, Michael Goodliffe, also as Andrews, in ANTR has the same shocking effect when he says: "She's going to sink captain."

Each time I hear those lines it sends a chill down my spine

Sam

E

Elaine R Barnes

It seems Mr. Andrews was selective in what he told to different members of the crew that night. To those he felt could take the news and act accordingly, he told the truth about Titanic foundering. To those passangers and crew he felt might not handle the news very well, he told about the danger, but that they should hurry to the lifeboats. I believe the scene where Mr. Andrews tells " Rose" about the ship sinking and that she should get to a lifeboat quickly was what he actually told Stewardess Mary Sloan. When he saw Miss Sloan later he asked her why wasn't she aboard a lifeboat she said she felt it was "mean" of her to go while so many others were still aboard.
Mr. Andrews seemed to be very popular with the passangers and crew alike. Many of the disputes among the crew reportedly were taken to Mr. Andrews to be straightened out. One of the bakers supposedly baked a special loaf of bread for him.
I always admired Mr. Andrews for staying with the ship and trying so hard to help everyone to a lifeboat, especially with a wife and very young child at home.
I agree with Sam. I think Mr. Garber made a wonderful Thomas Andrews.

J

Joanne Seiferlein

Hear! Hear! I LOVED Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews! Oh well, I just love Thomas Andrews, I guess! I don't think that there was any intention to suggest a romantic interest on the part of Andrews for Rose. I think that he was just a very warm-hearted person and that warmth comes through, even towards the end when he is just standing in the smoking room, looking at that painting, then tells Rose how sorry he is that he didn't build her a stronger ship, then hands her his life jacket. That scene where he is setting the clock as the band plays "Nearer, My Godm to Thee" brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.
I am in agreement with Elaine and Sam: Victor Garber was wonderful as Mr. Andrews!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mr. Garber for a job well-done!!

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I've absolutely loved Victor Garber, ever since his early roles in "Godspell" (the man can sing!) and "Liberace". When I heard he was cast to play my favorite person on the Titanic, I was thrilled and couldn't wait to see how he portrayed Thomas Andrews. He did not disappoint me. I agree with Kathy Bruce that his relationship towards "Rose" was a fatherly attitude, sprung from mutual respect for each other's intelligence and interest in others besides the elite of society ("Rose's" one redeeming quality, but I digress). He's the reason I enjoyed the movie so much. I think a lot of defining character development of the other characters ended up on the cutting room floor, which is a great pity, but Garber's realistic portrayal of Thomas Andrews shines through, and I love them both all the more for it. (Maybe I was Helen Andrews in a previous life? - Nahhhhhh!)

All the best,
Kyrila

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I've absolutely loved Victor Garber, ever since his early roles in "Godspell" (the man can sing!) and "Liberace". When I heard he was cast to play my favorite person on the Titanic, I was thrilled and couldn't wait to see how he portrayed Thomas Andrews. He did not disappoint me. I agree with Kathy Bruce that his relationship towards "Rose" was a fatherly attitude, sprung from mutual respect for each other's intelligence and interest in others besides the elite of society ("Rose's" one redeeming quality, but I digress). He's the reason I enjoyed the movie so much. I think a lot of defining character development of the other characters ended up on the cutting room floor, which is a great pity, but Garber's realistic portrayal of Thomas Andrews shines through, and I love them both all the more for it. (Maybe I was Helen Andrews in a previous life? - Nahhhhhh!)

All the best,
Kyrila

K

Karen Sweigart

Kyrila,
Victor Garber is on the TV show "Alias" as the main characters' father. I don't know if you live in the US, but you can catch him on Sunday nights on ABC. His character is very cool and mysterious, even to his daughter. I have always liked him too, so I was thrilled when he showed up on TV where I can see him every week.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Oh, yeah!!! I've been watching the show. Can't stand the show, the writing is contrived and the plots aren't very original, the acting is marginal, but I watch it only for the brief - and I do mean brief - scenes with Victor Garber. Unfortunately, being a woman, I'm not his type! Too bad!
BTW, Karen, I live in sunny South Florida. One of the perks is that I can look out my bedroom window and watch the space shuttle go up, like it did tonight when I got home from work.

All the best,

K

Karen Sweigart

Victor Garber is gay??? Wow, I would have called that one wrong. I love the show though, but I just watch it for the action. It moves along.

Charmaine Sia

Nov 25, 2001
My guess is that Cameron wanted to portray Andrews as a respectable gentleman who was gracious to a lady, and I would think also delighted that there was somebody who was able to discuss a topic that he enjoyed with him properly instead of just asking superficial questions. After all, it is a lot easier to get along with a person whom you are able to talk about a common topic, so I would think that it would be the impression that Cameron wanted to give.

>It seems Mr. Andrews was selective in what he told to different members of the crew that night. To those he felt could take the news and act accordingly, he told the truth about Titanic foundering.

I think that what Cameron wanted to show in this was how Mr. Andrews tried to do his best for everybody on board in the best way possible. There were people who would be able to accept and take the truth, and I think that the impression that was given was that he felt that they deserved to know it. I think that was one of the best things that a man could do.

>One of the bakers supposedly baked a special loaf of bread for him.
I always admired Mr. Andrews for staying with the ship and trying so hard to help everyone to a lifeboat, especially with a wife and very young child at home.

A brave man until the end...I have always thought it sad that he should have to see the ship that he himself designed going down on its maiden voyage, and not having enough lifeboats, or time to save passengers on board! Sad, indeed...

Regards,
Charmaine

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Possibly the real reason Cameron gave Andrews a lot of interaction with Rose is that Cameron is as fond of Thomas Andrews as we are, and wanted to enlarge his part in the film as much as possible. Therefore, logically, he would place Andrews with Rose frequently throughout the film.

All the best,
Kyrila

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

If you notice, right before Rose finds Andrews in the first floor corridor, he walks up to a young stewardess and says something about getting a life jacket on and getting to a boat, and he pats her cheek. He showed a lot of his "father-figure" character in this short scene, and it kind of shows that he wasn't being close like he was with just Rose, and that he was basically an all-around likeable guy.

Feb 24, 2004
And Garber's Tom Andrews, who treats everyone with kindness, respect and tact, is the perfect foil for Cal, who treats no one with kindness, respect and tact.

Roy

Nancy Bratby

Apr 18, 2005
Hear hear.

And as Michael Standart pointed out back in 2001,just the fact that Rose is practically the only one in first class with some brain material to ask some intelligent questions would be enough to impress Thomas.

And I agree with Kyrila that naturally Cameron will like Tom as much as all of us and want to give him as much screen time as possible.