Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna Jean.

Apr 9, 2005
Hey everyone!

I'm new here... thought I'd post an introduction about myself and my "relationship" with Titanic.

When I was in the 2nd grade, the James Cameron movie hadn't come out yet, but my teacher tried getting me to read about the Titanic. I avoided it with a passion - I really don't know why, but the thought of reading about it horrified me.

The next year, when the James Cameron movie came out, I didn't have particular interest to see it. I watched the Celine Dion "My Heart Will Go On" music video, hated the footage of the movie (particular the scenes of people -dying-) and would have rather seen Spice World than Titanic.

My family took me to see the movie soon after, and I only remember crying a few tears during the "Nearer My God To Thee" scene. I saw it a second time with my sister and a friend, and (I don't know why) we both started sobbing uncontrollaby during the "second" part of the movie. (Basically, the sinking part.)

I suddenly become passionately obsessed with Titanic. I was (am) particularily fascinated with Harold Bride.

When the James Cameron movie came out on video, my friends would hate to watch it with me, because I would get hysterical during the sinking part of the movie. I mean, weirdly hysterical. Wailing, sometimes.

It seems extremely weird to get so emotional during a) a movie, and b) something that I have no connection to.

:p I always get embarassed for posting that.

Today, I still get emotional. I still sob if I think about Titanic. Anything to do with Titanic brings my mood down. But I can't help but be fascinated with it. Just... incrediebly fascinated with it.

I've researched only a couple of passengers + crew that were on the Titanic... Harold Bride, Frederick Barret (the leading fireman) Kate McGowan, a little on James Farrell. The last 2 were mainly because of my love for the Titanic musical. It's interesting to see the creative license they took with it.

Um.

That's about it!

~Anna

Maria Marsh

Jul 23, 2004
Hiya Anna, I know how you feel about the sinking part of the film. I lost count how many time's I've watched it over the last 20 or so year's and I still find myself sobbing, (much to the amusement of my 6 year old son. My connection with The Titanic is one of family. My Auntie Nellie was a survivor. I discovered this after being to a small Titanic exhibition with my Mum 20 years ago. It has been an on and off hobby since, trying to track her down. Which I did with the help of a few wonderful people, right here on E.T. and I can never thank them enough. Try not to let it bring your mood down too far. It is an amazing story of courage in the main. My Auntie's name was Nellie O'Dwyer. And don't be embarrassed there are a lot of people here who connect in the same way as yourself and in many other way's too. Happy reading.

Maria x

Status
Not open for further replies.