Anna Sophia Nysten

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Looking for help and info on this survivor.
She later became Mrs.Gustafsson and died around 1977 in Des Moines.
I think she was a friend of my grandmothers, Elvira Tweed.
My grandma always talked about a friend she had that was on Titanic.
Any help much appreciated, Don

P.S.- Hey! My 100th post
happy.gif

Mar 10, 1998
Don,
Am not sure exactly what you are wanting on Mrs. Gustafsson. She was born January 22, 1890 in Sweden and died in Des Moines on March 28, 1977 of congestive heart disease and pulmonary edema following surgery. She is buried in Resthaven Cemetery in West Des Moines.

She had two sons and a daughter--the daughter, Lennea, is deceased as is her son Bill who lived in Kentucky. Another son, Arthur, is still living in Oklahoma. She also had a brother, Gunnar, who remained in Sweden as did her sister Agda Andersson. Another sister, Elsie Granquist, lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards,
Phil Gowan

Mar 10, 1998
Don,
I don't always have very good luck trying to upload photos here but will try--this is a not so great photo that accompanied her obituary.

By the way, she continued an ongoing friendship and correspondent with Hilda Hellstrom (later Mrs. John E. Larson) who was also a Swedish Titanic survivor, until Hilda died in the early 1960's.

Phil

Arne Mjåland

Oct 21, 2001
There was an article about Anna Nysten in Passiac Daily News, Passiac, N.J. April 20 1912.

After she had been rescued. she was taken care of by Mr. and Mrs Tornquist who lived in Paulison Ave. probably in Passiac.
The article, I feel is too long to be transmitted here.
I got it from Passiac Public Library. Don., who was looking for help, try the library.

coderoyal

Feb 9, 2021
A postcard sent by Anna Nysten to congratulate her mother on her birthday in 1912. She is aware it will arrive late, knowing that it takes time for letter to arrive. ”But better late than never”, perhaps nodding to her own experiences… She expresses much gratitude over her fortune to endure the recent hardships.

Credit: Kisa – Västra Eneby hembygdsförening (Emil Turreson)

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 53