Anne Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne Evans

Apr 12, 1998
Hi there everyone. I have always been fascinated by the Titanic, and when I heard vague stories about my father's uncle "going down on the Titanic", I hunted around on the Internet to find out more about the Titanic. My only problem was that there seemed to be no family record of who this person was. So I began asking around for what anyone could remember and found that he was a crew member, probably a steward. My father seemed to remember that his name was George, but wasn't sure because, when my uncle (my father's brother)'s son was born and they decided to name him Richard, because it was not a family name, my grandfather (my father's father) said, "That was my brother's name". I have since been able to (almost) establish that his name was indeed George Richard Evans. Imagine my delight when I found an exact match on ET! I do find some conflicting information regarding his information on the site, so I hope to be able to find out more.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to a different thread in this topic, has been moved to its own thread. MAB]

J

João Carlos Pereira Martins

Hi Anne! Welcome to the board.

This site is really amazing! I hope to see you around.

Best regards,
João Martins

Anne Evans

Apr 12, 1998
Hello everyone

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, Michael, that's the man I mean. I think he was a bit of a black sheep of the family.

What I can't understand is why, on his biography page, it says he is both 32 and 27. My research shows him to be about 27. Also, under the summary, it says that he was married, but there is no family history to that fact. Maybe he was and maybe I have family out there I don't know about! Interesting. . .

I have been visiting this site for quite a long time, previous to having a particular person to research. As I said, I have always been fascinated by the story of the Titanic, so I am delighted that I might have something that I can hopefully add to the site.

Regards
Anne

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Anne. The records of the Titanic Relief Fund listed George's parents and his wife Rose as dependents in need of financial assistance. There is no mention of any children. He gave his age as 32 when he signed on for the voyage, but there are various reasons why the crew didn't always provide accurate information.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I think he was a bit of a black sheep of the family.<<

Might be interesting if you can follow things up and find out why. My own family has Bat Masterson in the tree. (A very distant uncle if I recall correctly.) While he's often made out as some kind of wild west hero in American lore, my own distant reletives were known to have little use for him.

Can't say as I know why.

Anne Evans

Apr 12, 1998
Hi Bob. How do I find more information on the Relief Fund? If this is the guy I'm looking for, his parents should be George and Sarah.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Yes, Anne, that's your man. Born in Liverpool, parents George and Sarah. Stewards were paid £3 15s for the voyage (one month), but George could expect to double that with tips unless he was unlucky and the people at his table were exceptionally tight-fisted! The Relief Fund took tipping into account, so for a saloon steward the usual widow's allowance was £6 10s per month.

Anne Evans

Apr 12, 1998
Oh, wow! Thanks Bob. I would say that it's pretty definite that he's the guy I want! Is there any other information that can be got from the Relief Fund records? Like addresses and stuff. How can I check it out?

This is so exciting! I wish my father were still alive so that he could know all this.

D

Deleted member 173198

Hello Anne,

Welcome to the board.

Trying to get any home addresses with the Relief Fund, especially crew related, I'm afraid, is a near miss.

The only source of a home address I have ever come across deals with the Southampton Committee. They didn't only quote the persons name but they had to make note of their personal address for correspondence purposes, especially for a new appointed member whose application in the end, was accepted to serve on the Relief Fund Committee.

However, I do remain optimistic that one day, a handful of papers may well be discovered outling the proper names of those who did survive, and those were lost, and not forgetting of course, that all-important list, those who became orphans.

At the moment, nothing survives with the old Southampton Committee, as a large portion of this material was destroyed during the mid-sixtes.

Sorry I cannot offer you anymore information, but I hope the above does manage to answer some of your questions.

A.W.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Anne, the BMD registers for 1912 include the marriage of George R Evans to Rose Brown in Southampton in the first quarter of 1912. You'd need to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate to be fairly sure this is the right couple - that would provide addresses and occupation for both parties and the names and occupations of their fathers. If this is the right George and Rose then of course there would be no children at the time of George's death but Rose might well have been pregnant with their first child. The Relief Fund records might confirm that possibility. Over to you, Andrew - do the Minutes later record an extra allowance following a birth?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Here's a possibility worth looking into - Audrey J Evans, birth registered in Southampton in the first quarter of 1913. Her mother's maiden name was Brown.

Anne Evans

Apr 12, 1998
Thanks for all this information. I am amazed at how quickly you come up with everything. I will definitely look into getting this marriage certificate.

Regards
Anne

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Glad to be of assistance, Anne. Don't be too disappointed if you buy a certificate and it turns out to be the wrong couple, but I'd say that in this case the odds are very favourable - the national registers show only 8 possibilities for the period 1900-12, and only one in Southampton.

If you order the cert, specify the names and that the marriage was registered in the District of Southampton, first quarter of 1912 (volume 2c, page 2).

D

Deleted member 173198

Hello Bob,

Give me a few days to check things through. There's so much I've compiled I am having a job to remember what's what and who was who.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall anything on that scale been confirmed, but I will double-check to be sure and report back.

A.W.

D

Deleted member 173198

To Anne Edwards and Bob Godfrey. The pair of you can rest your minds now.

The answer is "Yes" their child was placed on the Fund.

A.W.

D

Deleted member 173198

Morning Bob,

I had a funny feeling you would ask me that. I'm afraid the answer is no, as most of the paperwork with Minute Book No 2 was destroyed during the clear out. Only a tiny fraction of it survives now.

If Anne would like to contact me privately, I am more than happy to share some of my findings.

A.W.

Apr 27, 2003
To Bob, Anne & Andrew
I have just read the above thread and I can add:
From: Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund Booklet, March 1913)
Number 398. Evans, Rose, widow. Evans, George, father. Evans, Sarah, mother. All class D dependants.
(From the Titanic Relief Fund Minute Book number 2, Southampton Area)
Date 18th September 1914.
Case C398. That a grant of £2 0s 0d be made to Mrs. Evans (widow) because of illness to self and her child.

I would surmise that the child was born way after the disaster say around November 1912 and then placed on the Fund.
Cheers Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.