Another question about trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
In 'Titanic-Fortune & Fate' there is a picture of a train ticket stubb purchased by Selena Cook. It says Charing Cross District to Southfields on it. I am supposing that Southfields is the name of the dock side station that passengers alighted from in order to board Titanic. However when I asked the Train Museum in Swindon u.k about Southfields they said they had never heard of it. Can anyone help me?

D

Deleted member 173198

Sorry Emma I can't help you on this one.

I was always under the impression that most of the Titanic's Railway Passengers for Southampton, left via Waterloo.

I would seriously advise you, to forcus your attention directly at the PRO. The answer has got to be held somewhere amongst the Archives.

Failing that, try the Railway Museum in York first!

Wamest regards-Andrew W.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Southfields is a London suburb and these days has an underground station. Presumably one can go from Charing Cross to Southfields.

The book you mention is pretty but unreliable. Among other things, it lists at least one eminent person as a passenger though she never went near the ship. (Lady Cynthia Asquith)

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Hello all

I used to live in Southfields, Southwest London. The underground station there, which is actually above ground (!) is the main stop for all the spectators going to the Wimbledon tennis championships.

It is quite easy to get from Charing Cross to Southfields. A short walk from Charing Cross station to Embankment (by the Houses of Parliament) allows you to get a District Line train direct to Southfields, about half an hours journey. I assume Southfields station existed in 1912 because the District Line is one of Londons oldest underground lines.

However, in the context of the Titanic and assuming this is the station referred to, it would have been a lot easier for Ms. Cook to simply cross Waterloo Bridge from Embankment to Waterloo Station to catch the boat train.

The only possible reason for someone taking such a journey would be that they were actually meeting someone at Southfields then taking the short walk from there to Wimbledon or Earlsfield station to meet the boat train which may have called through there. When I lived in Southfields instead of the tube I usually caught the much quicker mainline train from Waterloo to Earlsfield, a train which went on to the south of the country, possibly Southampton.

Perhaps Andrew Williams can help out on this one, as I am sure the train routes from Southampton to London have changed very little over the years.

Regards

Sam

D

Deleted member 173198

Sam-Forgive me as I am classfied as a country-bumpkin but I'm sure you would understand if I told you that I'm not all that familiar with the Boroughs and Districts of London.
Indeed thank you for giving us more details about Southfield!
Today the train routes have hardly changed. Whenever I'm on the intercity express the last port of call is usually Reading, and then we normally head straight for London's Waterloo.( I hope this answers everybodies question's now!)
May I suggest Sam that you check your message you left under Crew Research Section, notably Walter John Perkis on Friday 13th July 2001. I have done something very special for you and I am still waiting for your reply.

Regards-Andrew W.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Maybe Selena Cook went to the tennis and the ticket has nothing to do with Titanic. Is it dated?

Jul 22, 2001
kent uk
I have had another look at the photograph (p26) and it does not have a date on it just the following...L.&S.W.R 3RD CLASS Early Daily Workman Charing Cross District Railway To Southfields Via Earls Court.
And the text (which probably confused me in the first place) goes some thing like this...
Selena R cooks train ticket stub which was kept after her journey to the docks where she boarded Titanic.
I often travel to Waterloo myself enroute to the PRO and as Mr Williams has said you would have no need to travel out towards Earls Court from Charing Cross as Waterloo and CC are only 1 stop apart on the mainline. I don't think the ticket was used to travel to Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.