Another Titanic Relative Gone

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Just got word this afternoon that another "Titanic personality" has passed away. George Henry Perkins, the only child of the Ryerson's maid, Victorine Chaudanson (Mrs. Henry Perkins), died in Florida Tuesday at the age of 89. A number of us had had contact with or met Mr. Perkins over the years and regret to hear of his passing.

After Titanic Victorine married quickly. Though she was well up in her 30's she had not been in a hurry to marry Henry Perkins but her brush with mortality changed that. The next year her son was born--and he had commented on occasion that he considered himself a sort of "by-product" of the Titanic sinking.

Phil

Mar 15, 2001
Very sorry to hear this. I am glad that he shared his story with others so that his mothers story will not be forgotten.

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Not another one, I hate to say we are losing more and more people.

My condolences to his family.

Andrew Maheux

David Perkins

Aug 12, 2006
Hello all. My name is David Perkins and I am the proud son of George and grandson of Victorine.

Many may not know, but it was my father who petitioned that traveling exhibit so popular around the time of the Titanic film until they relented and posted the actual names of all 35 or so servants who were on board, including my grandmother.

Up until that time, all passenger lists were of the form: Mr and Mrs Ryerson and maid (with no name attached).

My father happened to live in Clearwater, Fl. when that exhibit has its debut at the museum in St. Petersburg, where he served as a docent.

This was but a few years before his demise, and I am both pleased and proud that a son, even in his twilight years, could gain due recognition for his mother.

My father's circle was then complete.

Henry Loscher

Mar 6, 2003
Palm Harbor, Florida
David,

I met your father at the Clearwater Library on the occasion of Walter Lord's talk about 12 or 13 years ago. I managed to video record the local news coverage of the event. I had occasion to talk to your father at that time. He was a grand gentlemanman. I live in Palm Harbor and would be happy to have you view the recording.