Antique Titanicplaque signed by survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi

I bought this antique Titanicplaque from a collector in Scotland. I paid 200 USD for it.

The seller had bought it from an antiqueshop in Scotland in the 80's. She then got three survivors to sign it at a Titanicconvention

Does anyone know anything about this plaque? Is it wellknown? How much is it worth?

Best regards, Mikael

92103.jpg

M

Mikael Jonsson

It is signed by
Edith Haisman
Millvina Dean
Eva Hart

I know autographs from Edith and Eva sometimes costs as much as 100 USD a piece and the autograph of Millvina Dean about 30-50 USD so I know it was worth the money just because of the autographs.

Does the plaque have any value itself? It looks very old so it might be from the time just after the disaster.

best regards, Mikael

M

Mikael Jonsson

By the way. I also got photos of the survivors from the signing so I know the autographs are genuine.

best regards, Mikael

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It looks very old so it might be from the time just after the disaster.<<

Not if it was signed by Millvena Dean it wasn't. She was only an infant at the time it was years befor she was informed that she had even been on the ship. (Unless it was made at the time and these people were asked to autograph it a number of years later.)

Further, unless you can reliably establish the provenance of this carving, I wouldn't read to much into it looking old. An expert craftsman wouldn't have a lot of trouble giving the thing the appearance of an antique and only an expert could tell the difference.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi Michael

The scottish woman I bought it from had bought it without the signatures from an antiqueshop in the 80's. She then took it to a Titanicconvention somewhere in UK and got it signed so the signatures are quite new.

best regards, Mikael

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Mikael: An interesting plaque and almost certainly unique, in my opinion. The design has certain elements of 'art nouveau' about it and is quite strong, original and effective. With the Southampton Memorial so especially newsworthy, interest remained topical for some years. In fact, 'Hobbies Magazine' [the title may not be quite correct] published a fold-out work-sheet devoted to designs for one! That was during 1914, and the history of your plaque - whenever it began - may have begun with a free and imaginative use of ideas suggested there.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Wow that sounds interesting. Then it is probably quite old
happy.gif
Thanks for the help. If anyone know more about the plaque please post it here. I thought about selling it, but if it is made around 1912-1920 I rather keep it.

best regards, Mikael

Status
Not open for further replies.