ANTR Illustrated Edition

Jul 21, 2008
I was just surfing on Google and found an illustrated edition of ANTR available on a maritime books site. Has anyone here read it? Although I can imagine many readers thinking it could detract from the engrossing text (indeed without the pictures it has christened many Titanic historians), it still sounds like an interesting find. The pictures on its cover looked great, and I wonder how many people/moments are aptly illustrated. Any input would be appreciated!

Marshall

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I wouldn't describe most of the pictures as rare. By now, most have been published elsewhere.

One rarity is the original record of the sinking in Lloyd's records.

Before you buy, make sure it isn't still in print. Don't get stung!

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
That was my 'Official Christmas Gift' the year it came out. Either 1976 or 1977. By that, I mean, everyone from my parents on down, saw it and thought "Oh, the perfect Christmas Gift!" So I ended up with a fair stack of them...and early proof that my parents lessons in tact had taken hold, since I knew enough not to blurt out "Oh GREAT...another one!" and ruin someone else's special moment.

But, to get to the point, the book is well worth having since it falls FAR short of the dreaded Coffee Table Book format. If you can get it cheap, don't hesitate.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I wouldn't describe most of the pictures as rare.<<

The pictures aren't rare, but depending on which one of them we're talking about, but at least one of the illustrated editions is.

Micheal Tennero's outstanding site is still there so perhaps Marshall can check out http://www.titanicbooksite.com/LordWalter.html to find out whether or not the one he has his eyes on is one of the tough to get editions.

Jan 29, 2001
A definate must...I purchased mine at a *used* bookstore in Nevada City, Calif. It's in great condition with bookcover...lucky find!
Also found ANTR 1st edition hardback in beautiful shape for a whopping $6.50.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the input everyone, and to Michael for the link! I'll look into it. I might want to focus on getting other Titanic DVD's/books right now to expand the collection but this illustrated version of Lord's classic will be kept in mind for sure.

Gary T

Oct 16, 2019
Hollywood, California
Pictures aren't rare, but the book is. I have a copy I found in a used bookstore. It smelled like ashes, so maybe it was recovered from a fire. I have dozens of Titanic books in my collections, but this one is on the top of my list. His writing is so vivid and dramatic and seeing illustrations as you read adds a lot.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
I've just got this
Titanic souvenir 2019-10-17 001.jpg

Dec 4, 2000
One day while rummaging through a used book store (now extinct) I came across a true first edition, first printing of ANTR complete with virtually nblemished. It was on the $2 table. Now it's on my bookshelf. Sometimes you get lucky.

--- David G. Brown