Any Australian Titanic buffs here

Feb 14, 2011
Im moving to Melbourne Australia tommorow, and am curioius if there are any Australian Titanic buffs here.

My Australian girlfriend tells me in Melbourne there is a Titanic themed resturaunt. Has anyone been there?

Thanks

Tarn stephanos

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
So you've seen the light! Welcome to the Land Down Under. Bring lots of sunscreen. It's going to be a hot summer, even in Melbourne.

The restaurant is in Williamstown, west of Melbourne. I'll send you some photos privately.

There are Titanic fans in Oz and Titanic clubs, but I'm not involved with them, so I can't give you details.

Dec 8, 2000
Plenty of Aussies here, that's for sure. Dunno about being labelled as a fan or buff though. Check out the Oz threads in Let's Meet for a bit more info on who's about and where they are.

I thought I'd posted my thoughts on the Titanic theatre restaurant at Willy, but seem not to have... guess I'm getting my online forums confused in my old age. I don't like theatre restaurants at the best of times, so maybe you'd better hear from someone else first - particularly as my opinion is based on second hand information anyway. Here's the link so you can take a gander for yourself: www.titanic.com.au/

Like Dave says, be prepared to 'Slip, Slop, Slap'. We seem to have bypassed spring and launched straight into summer this past week. Once you've landed and found your feet, you'll have to let us know how you're going.

(Tarn - please note that I've included a small number of colloquialisms to help you acclimatise.
happy.gif
)

A

Alex McLean

G'day!
I'm in Bendigo, about an hour and a half from Melbourne. There is indeed a Titanic themed resteraunt in Melbourne and although I have not yet had the chance to go there, it is rather good. One of my best friends who also is a Titanic buff is in Melbourne as well.
Feel free to contact me, my email is error141@hotmail.com
See you soon!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I'll be back Down Under this Christmas, flaunting my luminiscent fishbelly white skin on the Northern Beaches of Sydney, reacquainting myself with the local scubadiving and bodysurfing.

You planning on heading up Sydneyside anytime over Christmas, Dave?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Inger, I'm afraid I can't afford the pleasure of travelling to watch your surfing talents. Why not come to Adelaide and be one of the first to dive on HMAS Hobart?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
LoL! I intend to barely move from the balcony to the beach to the Newport Arms, and two out of the three venues above entail having an icecold flute glass of Yellowglen Premium in hand. We'll have to meet up some time, tho'.

Daniel, Andrew Rogers...can we get the Fi up there?

M

Mark Bretherton

We will be releasing James Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss 3D film at the IMAX theatres in Sydney and Melbourne and I would be interested in contacting Australian relatives of Titanic passengers and crew and those interested in the subject to a special preview screening. Any tips on how I can contact these people?? Thanks for any help. I can be reached a mbretherton@imax.com.au

S

Shane Jenkins

Hi guys, Im over in Perth WA. i was very disappointed that we didn't get Ghost over here.
Might be time to move to the east coast me thinks. LOL.

A

Alex McLean

You know, all people in Perth now are threatened by a very snide comment. I just hope no one has any intention of saying it before I do.

A

Alex McLean

Don't worry, Michael, just an Aussie thing, rivalries if you will, like Russia and the US in the Cold War - without the severities or nuclear threats.
GotA was shown in a special preview viewing in Melbourne a while back which I attended, but I have seen no new news upon whether it will be shown again there. I was in Adelaide recently, and their IMAX has recently closed, but the main cinema is looking to show it apparently. Only time will tell.

BTW, when were you here in the great land of Oz, and where abouts did you go, Michael?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've been to the Perth/Fremantle area when I was on the USS Ranger back in 1981. In 1989, when I was on the USS Germantown, I made the port visits to Sydney and Townsville.

I only wish I could have made it there more often. Australia was always one of those very popular places to call on and almost always included on the schedule of any ship that was going to deploy. The number of times is actually happened was pretty small though. A real pity as I like good classical music and I suspect you already know I's something of a bookworm. The shopping for both was always very good in any of those cities.

A

Alex McLean

The shopping in Australia is generally all over good - provided you know where to go. Just don't take my girlfriend out though, or you'll end up having to buy everything for her!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'll consider myself appropriately warned!
wink.gif

The nice thing about the bookshops in Austrailia is that they actually had stuff worth reading and which was written at an adult level. They also tended to have titles not easily obtained in the United States, or which you had to special order because few bookshops here consider it worth the trouble.

My copy of Jane's Fighting Ships 1981-1982 came right out of a bookshop in Perth. Damned if I can remember the name of the place. It was downtown and not far from a really large cinema. But I was glad to have found it.

A

Alex McLean

The thing is though that many smaller book shops and sellers in Australia have the most remarkable books. They are always crammed with useful books on virtually every subject. I can spend hours in there, as I, like you, am a bit of a bookworm.

Dec 8, 2000
A lot of the better independent booksellers work hard at overcoming the tyranny of distance - that, and special orders aren't a profitable sideline.

Alex - I actually rang the IMAX here a while back to see when (if) they would be showing GotA, and was basically told 'dunno'. But you saw a preview a while ago... I give up! Was it the IMAX at the Melbourne Museum, or the IMAX at Fed Square? Just so I know who to put a rocket up.

Shane - it's possible you will get GotA locally at some point. It is a James Cameron film, after all, and there seems to be a limited number of good IMAX films. Only problem is I couldn't find a current listing for the Perth IMAX - it hasn't closed down, has it?

M

Mark Bretherton

IMAX Australia here - I'll try and clarify what's happened. GoTA has no Australian distributor. Disney is distributing in US and Canada but will not distribute here. I have been chasing the film for some time for our theatres in Sydney and Melbourne (Melb Museum which is the only IMAX in Melb and only 3D theatre - Fed Square is a smaller projection system and is not 3D capable).

I have done a deal with the film producers direct. As far as I know no Australian distributor has signed up for the 35mm cinema release or the DVD. A few did sniff around but decided the price was too high.

I have only just concluded the deal, so no suprise that the response from the theatre was a 'don't know' - that was the correct answer at the time. Given the deal was not done I did not want anyone suggesting it was coming when it may not have been.

Anyway good news is we will release the film on 4 Sept in both Sydney and Melbourne IMAX theatres. Please contact me direct if you have any more questions - happy to clarify with all I know rather than see rumours generating.

M

Mark Bretherton

IMAX theatres in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth are now all closed down and it is very unlikely (like 99.99999%) they will re-open as IMAX theatres, so sadly GoTA will not be coming to those cities in the near future.