Any favorite moments from past Titanic Artifact exhibitions

Feb 14, 2011
For those who worked,volunteered,or visited past (or present) Titanic Artifact exhibitions- any favorite moments or memories? What was it like for you to see these objects from the Titanic in person for the first time?

Scores of vistors would be lost in contemplation when they touched the lifeboat davit. For me the moment ill never forget was when the Big Piece came to Boston, touching it for the first time...its was an experience beyond words... And to hear Titanic's whistles sound in St. Paul enabled us all to hear the voice of the great ship- it brought tears to my eyes...

Please share your special memories of the exhibits!

Thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Jun 8, 2002
Hello, Tarn!

I've attended the Dallas and Houston Titanic Artifacts exhibits and also downloaded the Titanic whistle recording from St. Paul. A ship's whistle being described as the "soul" of a ship, that was surely a soulful moment for me. I can only imagine, though, what it meant to you to have the opportunity to pull the lever yourself and hear that sound in person.

Items intimately related to Titanic passengers and crew, such as letters, postcards, toiletry items and that amazing suit of clothes laid out under glass in Dallas were especially poignant parts of the exhibit. Seeing the whistle mounted at the entrance to the Houston exhibit of course was awesome.

In general I appreciated the low lighting, the reverential tone of the displays and the fact that the exhibits were user friendly to all, from children to serious students of the disaster.

I hope to see other versions of this exhibit around the country with different artifacts.

Best regards,
Doug

May 8, 2001
>>>I finally got to meet the infamous Pat Cook face-to-face at the Houston exhibit.<<< Unfortunately, rapscallions wander around Houston too! But if you give them that dollar, they just stay around.
smile.gif
(You are lucky, Dr. I wish I could meet him... We could compare notes on the traumatic experience of meeting Geoff.)
wink.gif

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Doug mentioned: "Plus, I finally got to meet the infamous Pat Cook face-to-face at the Houston exhibit."

Yes but being a doctor he's used to dealing with this sort of pain!

As ever,
Cook

ps. Looking forward to meeting you, too, Colleen, whenver this happens!

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
A typical Englishman and a broad, eh? (Yep -- that's the Geoff Whitfield we all know and love.) :)

All my best,

George

Nov 22, 2000
It's just an ugly rumour fuelled by Behe observing Cook and myself dressed up for a night out with the over eighties club - George was just jealous that Matron wouldn't let him go too as he had caused trouble over taking his medicine that day.

Geoff

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
"...observing Cook and myself dressed up for a night out with the over eighties club."

I thought they were referring to my golf score, I swear, I thought they were referring to my golf score...

Mar 15, 2001
I have a special memory at the exhibit that was in St. Petersburg, Florida in 1998. We were standing in line and just ahead of us all of a sudden there were flashes from photographers and clapping from visitors and employees. I looked up and I could have sworn it was Millvina Dean herself. It wasn't, it was the 100,000 visitor to the exhibit who can an uncanny resemblance to Miss Dean. Also, special at that particular exhibit was meeting a good friend of Eva Harts- Dennis Cochran.

H

Hillary Kidd

I'd have to say that my favorite memory from when I worked at the Dallas Exhibit was when I got to touch the Big Piece. The story of the Titanic had always been something I was interested in, but it wasn't until I actually saw artifacts and touched a piece of her that it hit me. This wasn't just a horrible story of a ship that hit an iceberg and sank. I don't know, I'd always felt sad for all the souls who died, but seeing their belongs made it different. It wasn't just an event you read about or a blockbuster movie you watch, it brings it to real life. The only way I can describe it was when I visited Ground Zero for the first time. I saw every horrific event of 9/11 unfold on TV, but the impact doesn't really hit you until you are standing in front of the gapping hole. At least that's the way it was for me. It's just different being there.
That's the only way I know to describe it. Most of the people I worked with in my section could have cared less about Titanic, it was just a job to them. But my work experience sparked a new career path for me that I'll always be thankful for. Without the chance to work at the exhibit I probably would have never learned of art conservation and certainly wouldn't be getting a degree in it.

Hillary

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Hillary

Hillary was one of my favorite Dallas exhibit staff members. She always had a smile and was eager to learn about Titanic.
Good to see you on ET!

Tarn Stephanos

H

Hillary Kidd

Hey Tarn!

What a nice thing to say. I learned a lot for you. SFX was extremely fortunate to have such an intelligent historian working for them and so was the Dallas team. It was their loss the day you left the traveling exhibits. I look forward to reading more of your posts . . .

Hillary

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
My favourite memory from the exhibit that was here in Toronto was touching the whistles. That was incredible, I was on cloud nine. Tarn took a picture of me with the whistles and it's a moment I'll never forget.

Hillary, I worked with Tarn at the exhibit here in Toronto and he was a super guy to work with. He's very knowledgeable, and he taught me a few things about the artifacts and the passengers which I'm grateful for.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kimberly Nona

Hi there
There is one going on now here in Oklahoma City.
Probably best part, was being sneeky and touching a davit that launch life boat 2.
The other stuff, like the port hole and the whistle was hard for me to get since I am little.
I can finally say, I let Titanic in.

Also, having people following me, while I was explaining my mother some stuff. It felt like I was the tour Guide.

H

Hillary Kidd

Kimberly,

What artifacts are there at the Oklahoma City exhibit? I'm wondering if it's pretty much what was at the Dallas one. I'll be home in Dallas for Christmas; I just might have to drive up to OK to check it out. :)

Hillary

K

Kimberly Nona

Hillary,

The exhibit will be here til july 6.
Here is a link to what is there, and information
http://www.omniplex.org/html/titanic_media.html

The big stuff, in my opinion was the whistle and the davit.

Jealous that you got to see the "big piece".
I remember watching that on TV, and cursing while they drop it.

Here is some inforamtion on dining

Dine first-class at Deep Fork Wood Grill and Fish House in Oklahoma City. Choose lunch or dinner menus authentic to those served on board Titanic - available throughout the run of Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit.

Cost 30 bucks for dinner, and I don't know how much for lunch.

all this information tho is at the Omniplex web site.

Hope that helps
~Kim