Any favorite moments from past Titanic Artifact exhibitions

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
My favourite memory from the exhibit that was here in Toronto was touching the whistles. That was incredible, I was on cloud nine. Tarn took a picture of me with the whistles and it's a moment I'll never forget.

Hillary, I worked with Tarn at the exhibit here in Toronto and he was a super guy to work with. He's very knowledgeable, and he taught me a few things about the artifacts and the passengers which I'm grateful for.

Best regards,

Jason
Happy

K

Kimberly Nona

Hi there
There is one going on now here in Oklahoma City.
Probably best part, was being sneeky and touching a davit that launch life boat 2.
The other stuff, like the port hole and the whistle was hard for me to get since I am little.
I can finally say, I let Titanic in.

Also, having people following me, while I was explaining my mother some stuff. It felt like I was the tour Guide.

H

Hillary Kidd

Kimberly,

What artifacts are there at the Oklahoma City exhibit? I'm wondering if it's pretty much what was at the Dallas one. I'll be home in Dallas for Christmas; I just might have to drive up to OK to check it out. :)

Hillary

K

Kimberly Nona

Hillary,

The exhibit will be here til july 6.
Here is a link to what is there, and information
http://www.omniplex.org/html/titanic_media.html

The big stuff, in my opinion was the whistle and the davit.

Jealous that you got to see the "big piece".
I remember watching that on TV, and cursing while they drop it.

Here is some inforamtion on dining

Dine first-class at Deep Fork Wood Grill and Fish House in Oklahoma City. Choose lunch or dinner menus authentic to those served on board Titanic - available throughout the run of Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit.

Cost 30 bucks for dinner, and I don't know how much for lunch.

all this information tho is at the Omniplex web site.

Hope that helps
~Kim

T

Tarn Stephanos

I posted a few jpegs from the Toronto 99' Titanic Artifact Exhibition on the Toronto 07' Exhibition thread- then I thought perhaps I might as well start a thread about the past Titanic Artifact Exhibitions, where past (or present) Titanic exhibition paid staff, volunteers, and visitors could share favorite memories, and pictures.

I'd like to share all of my past Titanic Exhibition photos with ET members...
Which exhibits were the highlights? Which were the low points?
Many of my pictures are stuck in a framed collage', but i'll develop more prints off the negatives, and will post jpegs of what i have....

For me the 1998 Titanic Artifact Exhibition in Boston was truly special- In addition to being my first, it was where and when the Big Piece came to shore........
The 1999 Titanic exhibit in St. paul was amazing as well. as the recovered set of whistles were hooked to high pressure air hoses and sounded in public for the first time since 1912. Attending the initial soundings tests in Two Rivers WI was an amazing experience- But one thing that happened at the St. Paul exhibit was plain strange- a Valentines day dinner banquet, with tables positioned next to each artifact case, and down by the Big Piece pool....To say it didn't work would be a major understatement...For one thing we ran out of food, plus it was just a bizzare idea..Some ideas worked out famously, others fell flat. At the 2000 Titanic Artifact Exhibition in Dallas , we had had an overnight sleepover, where a large group of students and exhibit the staff watched 'A Night To Remember'and slept overnight in their sleeping bags, amidst the atifact displays- The kids dug it, but it was a bit odd..Sleeping overnight in the exhibit-with the lights out- was a bit spooky......
I'll post jpegs shortly.....

[Moderator's note: This post was originally posted in another thread, but has been moved to the already existing thread. JDT]

T

Tarn Stephanos

Hi Jason, you're 3 steps ahead of me....

I must be a pain in the b*** sometimes, as I am one of those ET regulars who will start a thread, when there is already an older thread covering the exact same topic- my apologies..

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
No worries, Tarn! Don't feel bad about it; just think if every member did that, then there would be no need for moderators.
Happy

T

Tarn Stephanos

Here are some pictures from past Titanic exhibits-

Me, posing with Titanic International trustees Dave and Barb Shuttle, and Keith Russel at the 1999 St. Paul Titanic exhibit

Shuttle

In front of the Union Depot (site of the 99' St. paul Titanic exhibit), there was a detailed ice sculpture in the shape of titanic- here it is at night, lit up, as the snow fell....

Icemodel

Here I am standing with renouned Titanic historian and Titanic International Society trustee Jack Eaton at the St. Paul Titanic exhibit . In the picture we were standing in front of drawings of the Titanic made by local school children.

Eaton

...and with Ed Sypek- Ed Sypek had been the production manager at the Titanic artifact exhibitions in Boston, Atlantic City, Toronto, Chicago. Las Vegas and Dallas. He brought all the forces together and made the exhibits happen-Ed was responsable for the maintenance, setup, breakdown and shipping of the exhibit to the each city. My task was to interact with the public. Once RMS Titanic inc hired on SFX, Ed quit the project- he felt there were 'too many cooks in the kitchen',as there were basically 3 people with his job...
He is a great guy, and it was because of Ed I was able to work at 4 more Titanic exhibits after Boston....

Sypek

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Great photos, Tarn! Lucky you meeting Jack Eaton; he looks very well in that photo.

Was Ed Sypek here in Sept '99? I seem to recall meeting him, right before the exhibition began.

T

Tarn Stephanos

Here are a few snaps from the 98' Titanic exhibit in Boston....

After the Big Piece arrived in Boston, it was stored for a week or so at a secret location in South Boston, as the steel scaffolding that would hold the Big Piece was constructed at the exhibit. The Big piece was stored on a flatbed truck, under a tarp, covered in a wreath......

Flatbed copy1

The day we brought the Big Piece to the exhibit, some of the staff members decided to have their pics snapped by the great artifact.
One coworker was a chap named Kenny Olson, a dedicated and very well read Titanic buff, with one of the most extensive Titanic collections I've ever seen...

Kenny

and here I am by the Big piece..I blink of course....

Me flat copy1

One of the artifacts in Boston was a very fragile nickel kettle....Here are 2 shots of the kettle, inside and out....It was so fragile, I saw it crumble into pieces when Stefan Pennec gently placed it in its case in the the Toronto exhibit...

Kettle1

Kettle2

T

Tarn Stephanos

Hi Jason!
Yes, Ed Sypek helped put together the 99' Toronto exhibit- But he, & SFX's Mark lach and Tom Zaller suddenly had the same job- plus Ed and Tom didn't really get along, so in the end Ed was only too glad to leave the exhibits. It's a shame, Ed really was a great asset to the exhibit, and when he left, it lost someone special...

T

Tarn Stephanos

My first exposure to artifacts from the Titanic was at Boston's Museum of Science, back in 1995- I believe they were airing 'Titanica', and they had a few artifacts that the Titanica crew recovered....I wonder how many pieces they retrieved?

Imax1

Imax2

There were 2 nice models on display, one of the bow section of the wreck...

Imax3

the other of the stern section...

Imax4

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Tarn!

quote:

Yes, Ed Sypek helped put together the 99' Toronto exhibit

I thought so; thanks. I agree, what a great guy and what a shame the exhibits lost him. I remember Mark Lach as well; he was a good guy also, even if he was with SFX.

Once again, great photos. We have the nickel kettle again in the current exhibit. For some reason though, RMSTI refers to it as a "stock pot" that is "metal, nickel/copper alloy". So now I'm confused.​

T

Tarn Stephanos

Here are some more snaps from St. Paul-
The whistles were taken down and shipped off the Kahlenberg Brothers whistle foundry Two rivers WI to be x-rayed and tested to see if they could be sounded in public-
In this shot we have exhibit boss Eric Mische (in the blue and red jacket) touching one of the whistle bowls- He was not an an easy man to work for, but he rode a person so hard they had to perform at the absolute peak of their abilities.....

Whistles1

Here is a glimpse *inside* that solo whistle bowl....

Whistles2

a few shots of one of the whistle bowls being packed for shipping....

Forklift

Whistles3

Whistles4

me, staring in awe at the whistle bowl....

Whistles5

The X rays of the whistles did reveal implosion damage- which is why being sounded in the public was only a one time thing...I wish I had a copy of the x-rays-i don't, I just have a photo standing by the x-rays, at the Kahlenberg Brothers whistle foundry in two rivers WI.

Xrays

Here is a snap of a porthole...amy theories as to what deck would bear portholes of this size?

Porthole copy1

A true centerpiece of the early exhibits was this enormous model of the bow section- for some reason, the powers that be never built a model of the stern section...

Giantwreckmodel

One interesting display was of some mens razors, that still retained the original wrappers....

Razors

Jason Reid was my counterpart at the St. Paul exhibit- Nice guy, a Gulf War vet- I actually had more contact with the **HUGE** corps. of 800 plus volunteers and visitors, and Jason was more involved with the administration aspects- He was more or less Eric Mische's right hand man- and I believe they both went on into the political arena, and worked for Norm Coleman.
In St. paul, the big Piece was exhibited face down in a water tank.

Pool

when the exhibit was over, we drained the tank. Here is Jason posing by the Big Piece..

Jasonpiece

And here I am sitting in the pool, by the big Piece....I spilled 7-UP on this photo...

Tarnin thepool

More to follow...if this thread gets boring, let me know...

Tarn

BTW, if anyone wants to use any of the photos I post, feel free...