Any favorite moments from past Titanic Artifact exhibitions

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
quote:

amy theories as to what deck would bear portholes of this size?

I would say either C deck or D deck.

quote:

One interesting display was of some mens razors, that still retained the original wrappers....

I agree, those Gillette razors with the original wrappers are quite something. We have them at the current exhibit.​

T

Tarn Stephanos

2 more St Paul 99' photos- The Big Piece pool was drained, and both sections of the Big Piece loaded onto a flatbed truck, for shipment to Atlantic City....

Breakdown copy1

Breakdown2

Here are a few more pics from the Toronto 99' titanic exhibit.....

Here I am outside the exhibit entryway, with some of the "Titanic-Ship of Dreams' actors, visiting from FL. The man dressed as capt Smith went on Titanic expedition 2000, and dove the wreck....

Brady1

Here is a pic of the *reproduction* set of Titanic's whistles being tested....

Brady2

And a light fixture from one of the landings of the aft grand staircase....You'd be shocked by its weight.....

Brady3

More images to follow....

T

Tarn Stephanos

At the St. Paul 99' Titanic exhibit, we filled 1000 or so thumb sized glass vials, and filled them with shed Big Piece and mooring bitts rust, which we gave away to our volunteers at the volunteer appreciation party...
Sorry its out of focus..

Vial2 copy1

T

Tarn Stephanos

Hi Jason-My guess is D deck- the C deck portholes were larger, such as this one....
Notice this one on the Big Piece still retained traces of the the red rubber gasket (in upper left in the picture of porthole rim).
Just to orient yourself, the remainder of glass was actually in the upper half of the porthole, so we're looking at it upside down.....
Sadly that was all power basted away during conservation....

Cdeck

T

Tarn Stephanos

Jason, as far as I know the nickel kettle we had was just that- a nickel kettle-I've never heard the term 'stock pot' before. That artifact is a prime example of why there should be a permanent Titanic artifact museum to house the larger and more fragile pieces- This artifact has crumbled somewhat because it was being shipped from one city to the next.....

T

Tarn Stephanos

An clarification to the post before the last one......Regarding one of the C deck portholes on the Big Piece- the red rubber gasket visible in the photo (NOT the glass) was power blasted away during conservation...

T

Tarn Stephanos

When I last saw the 'Big Piece' in 2000, one of the C deck portholes retained the upper half of its original glass- Apparently that amount has since been halved, as this photo will show.....
Proof again that some artifacts, such as the 'Big Piece', should be housed in a permanent museum, rather than be subjected to unending years of perpetual tour...

Shard

T

Tarn Stephanos

There were a few things from private collections on temporary loan to the Titanic exhibit- such as the enormous cutaway diagram of Titanic used during the British Inquiry.....

Here are photos are some other items that were once on loan-In Boston there was a pocket watch from the body of a recovered victim- the hands frozen at 2:16....

In St.Paul there was Maj Archibald b***'s chest- as well as a 3rd class ticket and boarding pass- the boarding pass sold at auction for $100,000

Watch

Archie

T

Tarn Stephanos

Jason, I have a new scanner, so am having fun scanning jpegs of my pictures-I'm just curious, how long do photo attachments on a thread remain active?

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Tarn,

Thanks for the information regarding the porthole; very interesting.

quote:

as far as I know the nickel kettle we had was just that- a nickel kettle-I've never heard the term 'stock pot' before.

That's what I thought, as I had never heard the term "stock pot" before either. Plus, I don't remember it being used at the '99-00 exhibit.

As far as photo attachments go, they will stay active unless the board crashes for some reason, which has happened a couple of times.​

T

Tarn Stephanos

Hi Jason...Hmm, it's possible it wasn't in Toronto, mabey i was thinking of Boston & St. Paul....

John Clifford

John Clifford

Tarn, I remember when the "Fortune & Fate" Exhibit was held in Newport News, VA. That was in late February 1998, and I was fortunate to have been at a conference in Washington, DC, earlier that week, so I drove down there, and enjoyed being able to sit in the recreated lifeboat and "stand on the deck area".
I even remember when one woman had the name of "Eva Dean", so I kidded her about what a lovely daughter she had.
Grin

In 1999 I remember when it was noted that the Titanic's whistles would be on display at the Saint Paul Exhibit. That was when the media announced that the organizers hoped to have Millvina Dean attend the unveiling and sound the whistles. As we know that didn't happen (people I spoke to said Millvina would have told them if she planned to come); just hope there were not a lot of disappointed spectators.
Someone told me they saw that, instead of Millvina, they let people come forward.
Whoever hoped to convince Millvina must have hoped for a "publicity extravaganza".

Finally, I remember seeing a billboard advertisement for the Tropicana's Titanic Exhibit (which I think is now been going for over a year now): it ahd the teaser "Cant Swim? Take a Cab".
My feeling was "Tacky! Tacky! Tacky!".

T

Tarn Stephanos

Here are some more pictures from St Paul 99', of the real set of Titanic's whistles, about to be sounded in front of the Union Depot (site of the exhibit)

T

Tarn Stephanos

As mentioned earlier, in 1999, the whistles were shipped from the St. Paul Titanic Artifact Exhibition to Kahelneberg Brothers whistle foundry in Two Rivers Wisconnsin to be x-rayed and tested, to see if they could endure being blown again. X-rays revealed internal damage caused by the deep sea pressure-plus the whistles were slightly out of allignment- They were the set from the forward funnel, so may have been damaged from when the funnel fell...
So high pressure air, rather than steam was used. At the test, each individual bowl was hooked up to a high pressure air device and sounded, the all 3 bowls were reassembled on the manifold & the whistles were sounded as a whole. One thrill of my life was being one of the people to pull the lever at the tests and sound the whistles- It was so loud, we all had protective earguards on, and my ears rang for days...
Here is s snap of one of the individual bowls being sounded.....