Any Good Books of the Titanic i should buy here in Australia

Jun 4, 2020
Hello, Everyone, I'm after some titanic books which I can buy here in Australia I don't like reading fiction books I prefer Non-Fiction Books about Titanic it has been 13 years since I first read my first Titanic Book I was 11

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello, Everyone, I'm after some titanic books which I can buy here in Australia I don't like reading fiction books I prefer Non-Fiction Books about Titanic it has been 13 years since I first read my first Titanic Book I was 11
You can't go wrong with any of these:
  • "On A Sea of Glass: The Life and Loss of the RMS Titanic" by Tad Fitch, J. Kent Layton and Bill Wormstedt.
  • "Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Re-Appraisal" by Samuel Halpern (and many others)
  • "On Board RMS Titanic: Memories of a Maiden Voyage" by George Behe.
  • "Titanic In Photographs" by Daniel Klistorner, Steve Hall (and others)
  • "Titanic Lives: Migrants and Millionaires, Conmen and Crew" by Richard Davenport Hines.
  • "Titanic: The Death and Life of a Legend" by Michael Davie.
  • "The Ship of Dreams: The Sinking of the Titanic and the End of the Edwardian Era" by Gareth Russell.
  • "The Story of the Titanic as Told By Its Survivors" (this is published by Dover Maritime Press and contains both Archibald Gracie and Lawrence Beesley's books unabridged. It also has the six chapters from Lightoller's autobiography concerning the Titanic)
  • "Titanic Survivor" by Violet Jessop.
  • "Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy" by Charles Haas and the late John P. Eaton.
  • "Titanic: A Journey Through Time" by Charles Haas and the late John P. Eaton.
Avoid The Following !!!
  • Everything by Diana Bristow (made up sensationalist rubbish by a charlatan historian)
  • Everything by the late Robin Gardiner (stark raving bonkers conspiracy theory)
  • Everything by Tim Maltin (the most overrated Titanic historian active today. Tons and tons of errors and old myths)
  • "Titanic: Why She Collided, Why She Sank and Why She Never Should Have Sailed" by Senan Molony (a complete pack of lies by a well known attention seeker)
  • "Lost Voices of the Titanic" by Nick Barratt (lots of poor, lazy research and despite what the title claims, there is nothing new here at all)
  • "Titanic Tragedy: A New Look at the Lost liner" by the late John Maxtone Graham (this was such a disappointment considering Maxtone Graham was an authority on ocean liners. An appalling book crammed with errors. I suspect it may actually have been ghostwritten)

Last edited:

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
"On A Sea of Glass" is one of the best Titanic books I've ever seen, in my opinion the new gold standard on the subject.

I'm currently enjoying reading the transcript of the US Senate inquiry, published in mass market paperback book form (it says it's edited and with an introduction by Tom Kuntz). There's something about seeing the exact words of the survivors, without interpretation, that almost brings the hearings back to life in my mind as I read. I don't think the British Inquiry transcript is published in a similar way.

You also can't go wrong with "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord. It's old, first published in 1955, but it's a classic.

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
  • "On A Sea of Glass: The Life and Loss of the RMS Titanic" by Tad Fitch, J. Kent Layton and Bill Wormstedt.
  • "Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Re-Appraisal" by Samuel Halpern (and many others)
  • "Titanic Lives: Migrants and Millionaires, Conmen and Crew" by Richard Davenport Hines.
  • "The Ship of Dreams: The Sinking of the Titanic and the End of the Edwardian Era" by Gareth Russell.
  • "The Story of the Titanic as Told By Its Survivors" (this is published by Dover Maritime Press and contains both Archibald Gracie and Lawrence Beesley's books unabridged. It also has the six chapters from Lightoller's autobiography concerning the Titanic)
Avoid The Following !!!
  • Everything by Diana Bristow (made up sensationalist rubbish by a charlatan historian)
  • Everything by the late Robin Gardiner (stark raving bonkers conspiracy theory)
  • Everything by Tim Maltin (the most overrated Titanic historian active today. Tons and tons of errors and old myths)
  • "Titanic: Why She Collided, Why She Sank and Why She Never Should Have Sailed" by Senan Molony (a complete pack of lies by a well known attention seeker)
  • "Lost Voices of the Titanic" by Nick Barratt (lots of poor, lazy research and despite what the title claims, there is nothing new here at all)
  • "Titanic Tragedy: A New Look at the Lost liner" by the late John Maxtone Graham (this was such a disappointment considering Maxtone Graham was an authority on ocean liners. An appalling book crammed with errors. I suspect it may actually have been ghostwritten)
Do not forget to put "I built the Titanic" by William C Barnes under the "Avoid The following!!!"

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Do not forget to put "I built the Titanic" by William C Barnes under the "Avoid The following!!!"
Is Mr Barnes that oddball who claimed to be Thomas Andrews re-incarnation and yet got all the basic facts wrong when presenting his case ? Deary me :confused:

Oh, before I forget. Another good book to add to the "must have list" is "The Maiden Voyage" by Geoffrey Marcus.

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
Add to the list of good Titanic book I would included for the working technical details. RMS TITANIC Owners Workshop Manual, by two served marine engineers apprenticeship authors. If you want to splash out I would recommended TITANIC The Ship Magnificent. It comes at price for nearly 700 A4 pages and that is just for volume one too!

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
Another good one I think is "Titanic Ships, Titanic Disasters, An Analysis of Early White Star and Cunard Superliners". It's published by SNAME (the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers), and takes a look at the Titanic, Lusitania, and Britannic from a naval architectural point of view. It's very technical, talking about things ship stability, subdivision, floodable length, and a familiarity of naval architecture might be helpful.

I'd avoid "Farewell Titanic" by Charles Pellegrino. The only thing I got out of that is he says he was on an expedition to the Titanic during 9/11.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
Thank You So Much I Love Anything to do with Titanic
Hello, TF1912.
The quality and content of the "good" reads you have been referred to cannot be disputed. However, on the basis of "he who is without sin" be warned.
If it is fact you seek then not even a single one of the recommended good reads is "without sin". Each one employs a modicum of conjecture at one time or another. Conjecture is not historical fact.
Enjoy your reads, but be careful what you pass on as a fact.

Reactions: 1 user

john barrass

Mar 1, 2018
Avoid The Following !!!
I think u r being a tad harsh on Bristow

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I think u r being a tad harsh on Bristow
On the contrary, I'm being polite as I can about her.

I had the misfortune to come across one of her lamentable books a few years ago.

Full of inaccuracies (even by the standards of what was known about the ship in the eighties/nineties), repeats old myths and opinions presented as facts.

Her opinions (which were not based on facts) on the issue of "the ship that stood still" were completely loopy.

And to top it all off she blindly accepted accounts from fake survivors who we can prove were never on board.

Use the search facility on this forum. Type in her name and see how many times it has come up over the last twenty plus years. A lot of people thought her books were poor.

I don't know of one serious historian of the disaster that took her seriously.

Her books are worthless.

Last edited:

john barrass

Mar 1, 2018
I couldn't careless if not one "noted historian" thinks anything Bristow had to say had a shred of evidence. In my opinion Dianna put a hell of alot into her books. Whether you think it was credible research is up to you.

She did bring to attention the "radio wars" of 1912 . My opinion on the 'Titanic Tale" is not a closed book unlike those that accept everything currently written has nailed it 100%.

Funny how anything written by Bristow is unattainable ? Somebody must think something of her........

Say what you will too against Senan.......for all his books that he produces that "poke the bear" which I happen to enjoy he also produces books such as Irish onboard Titanic and Victim and Villains.

Im not a huge fan either of those who personally attack authors !!!!!

Last edited:

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I couldn't careless if not one "noted historian" thinks anything Bristow had to say had a shred of evidence. In my opinion Dianna put a hell of alot into her books. Whether you think it was credible research is up to you.

She did bring to attention the "radio wars" of 1912 . My opinion on the 'Titanic Tale" is not a closed book unlike those that accept everything currently written has nailed it 100%.

Funny how anything written by Bristow is unattainable ? Somebody must think something of her........

Say what you will too against Senan.......for all his books that he produces that "poke the bear" which I happen to enjoy he also produces books such as Irish onboard Titanic and Victim and Villains.

Im not a huge fan either personally attacking authors !!!!!
Correction. Michael Davie was actually ahead of Bristow in covering the radio angle.

Nobody thinks "everything currently written has nailed it 100%" regarding RMS Titanic.

However, one needs to present a wee thing called "proof" when making a new argument. It's just not on to state an opinion as a fact. That is what Bristow did dozens of times in her books. That makes them worthless.

Anyone using Bristow's books on here to back up an argument is going to look pretty foolish.

On Mr Molony, his dishonest book and documentary about the coal bunker fire has been proven beyond all doubt to be a lot of utter nonsense. Read the research article "Fire and Ice" to see his entire theory spectacularly torpedoed.

Read "On A Sea of Glass" by Messrs Fitch, Kent Layton and Wormstedt or "On Board RMS Titanic" by George Behe instead. Slap bang up to date and written by authors you can trust 100%.

john barrass

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks , but as I have over 225 books pertaining to Titanic which includes all the books you just mentioned I wasnt after any advice which are the "good ones "......