Any idea what advertisement this is from

adrian waring

Oct 31, 2005
I know this is not original but wondered what it's from and any idea how old this is.It measures 11 by 7 printed on heavy card.
thanks Adrian

T

Timothy Trower

It is a 1912 calendar, and at least here in the states, something like this would have been issued around December of the preceding year.

adrian waring

Oct 31, 2005
The question is it original or a copy any idea how I can tell.I realise it's a calendar for 1912 but it is origional or a more recent copy.

I have seen a lot of Titanic items but never seen this one before.

thanks Adrian

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"I know this is not original"

You said you knew it was a reproduction - I am a little confused. What kind of paper, what kind of age related wear and tone - and where? How was it printed - what do you see under a glass? Do you know what size(s) these advert calendars exist in? Perhaps others know the answer to the last question.

Best,
Eric

adrian waring

Oct 31, 2005
Let's start again.Someone told me this is not an original so I took them at there word.

Fact is I have no idea if it is or not, I cannot find anything to reference it against or compare it to.

The printing is not of a high quality as it seems a little blurry.It's printed on heavy card.It does exhibit considerable age wear at the edges.
2 holes exist at the top where a piece of wire may have been to hang it on a wall.

The fact is I have no idea whether it's original or not or as to it's value.

The wear on the item does suggest it's original

Adrian

T

Timothy Trower

Adrian,

What would be best before I gave you my professional opinion on this piece is to be able to see and hold it -- to very closely examine it. Barring that, find a print shop that uses both letterpress and offset lithography; take the piece in and have the owner and or pressmen look at the item. They should be able to tell you easily if it is letterpress printed, lithographed or a modern colour copy.

One other thought would be to rescan at least a part of this item at an extremely high resolution and post that for me to look at. I won't guarantee that would work -- that's why I would suggest first going to a print shop near you.

My father was a printer at the time that lithography (offset printing) was still considered quick and dirty. That reputation was deserved once stones were replaced with metal plates and production speeds increased. The craftsmanship that printing demands was a little slow in catching up to the new printing process.

Hope this helps.

T

Timothy Trower

Adrian,

The stock looks like it is a linen finish, and the ink has done a good job of covering the valleys in this card stock. If you can, hold it up at an angle to the light and look to see if you can see any impression pushing through the back of the stock. My guess is that you won't be able to. Again, my guess is that this has been lithographed with a four or five colour offset process, allowing the ink to properly fill the valleys in the linen finish without having the tell tale impression that letterpress would show.

Again, hold the card up to the light at an angle, and look at any sharp, black printed lines. If they are the same look as the rest of the card, then it was printed offset lithography. If you can see any depression of any line printed, or a depression where there is a solid block of colour, then it would be printed letterpress.

However, based on the scan that you kindly furnished, my professional opinion is that it was printed with offset lithography (as opposed to stone lithography -- which gave a much sharper impression that is shown on the image of this card).

Thanks so much for sharing this advertising card with us. I appreciate getting to see any new item that is Titanic related. You might even consider contacting Titanic Branson to see if they might be interested in "renting" it for display.

adrian waring

Oct 31, 2005
Tim,
Thanks so it does appear to be original WOW.I have an original check from the Titanic Relief Fund.My Great Great Great Grandfather was J.Kirkham a greaser on the Titanic.He went down with the ship.The story goes that he wanted to move to the USA and bring his wife and daughter with him.His wife refused to go and they stayed behind thank goodness.That was on my mothers side.Another family story on my dad's side is that just one job was left on the Titanic that my Great Great great Grandfather qualified for.However his best friend wanted the job also so they tossed a coin for it.His friend one and he never saw him again.Have no idea if it's true or not but that was an old family tale that's been told for years.

thanks Adrian

Jan 29, 2001
ADRIAN: If you refer to "Titanic, Fortune & Fate" you will find an exact calender of yours, however it bears a date of 1910. The artist was Alf Cooke. The calender is courtesy of the Miottel collection, San Francisco.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA