Any info about 8 Chinese passengers on titanic?

Gavin Bell

Dec 12, 1999
I am interested to know what became of the Chinese survivors. Does anyone know what happened to them after the disaster, i.e., when they died, where they lived out their days, etc? If anyone can help me please either contact me personally or send the information to Encyclopedia Titanica.

Thanks

Cameron Bell

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Cameron,

After the Chinese sailors sailed aboard the Anetta, we lose all track of them. My fellow historians and I have tracked down almost all of the surviving passengers, but we undoubtedly agree that the Chinese will be the last to find, if ever at all.

Their names appear differently on every official list compiled so their real names may never be known. I have relied on the spellings of their names that appeared on their claims against the White Star Line. These documents are housed at the National Archives in New York City. These documents actually contain their own signatures so I believe this to be most accurate.

Michael Findlay

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Cameron!

On April 21st the six Chinese survivors sailed for the West Indies on board the steamship Anetta.
After that, AFAIK, the Scribe is silent. :)

All my best,

George Behe

Glenn Hoge

Sep 26, 2007
Hi everyone,

Among the many, many fascinating things about the Titanic, I'm intrigued by the Chinese man (believed to be Fang Lang) who survived by floating on a door until rescued by Lifeboat No. 14. I've learned a great deal about him by exploring the message board, but there are still some things I wonder:

Do we KNOW that it was Lang who was rescued, instead of one of the other Chinese passengers? Are we at least reasonably certain it was him? If not, then how did his name become attached to the man found floating on the door?

If the testimony regarding Fifth Officer Lowe's racist remarks about Lang has been discredited, what about the follow-up, when Lowe exclaimed "I'd save the likes of him six times over"? Is that bogus too?

(Apparently, there is a thread somewhere here that discusses the issues with the Collyer testimony in detail. Can someone tell me where it is?)

What do we know about the circumstances of Lang's rescue, other than the fact that it occurred? Was he really lashed to a door (as opposed to simply floating on top of it)? Did Lowe say anything about him, good or bad? Did he help with the rowing? Is there anything else we know about him?

Also, and related to the rescue, in what order were the survivors (including Mr. Hoyt) plucked from the water by Boat 14?

If anyone has the answers to any of these questions, or can point me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged. Thank you.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
My Chinese e-mate has pointed out the difficulty of finding out anything about the Chinese passengers. This is hardly surprising, as they were tranferred from Carpathia to their own ship, Annetta, by boat on the morning of 19 April. Their names were recorded by US officials, together with a few addresses and next of kin.

Not one of their names is correctly recorded. The Hong Kong custom is to put the family name first, followed by two syllables. Fang Lang is therefore incomplete, as are all the other Chinese names. to make matters worse, the addresses recorded by the US immigration authorities appear to be corruptions of Chinese words. The street names as recorded never existed in Hong Kong.

The correct names of the Chinese are given in the Chinese manner, with the family name first.

Lam (given name unknown), Fang Lang, Lam Len, Cheong Foo, Chang Chip, Ling Hee, Lee Bing, Lee Ling.

I have never seen a primary source for Fang Lang being the man rescued by Lowe.

The Collyer account is utterly unreliable, as Collyer was never in a position to hear what Lowe said.

Some fairly wild claims have been made about the Chinese, but few hard facts can be gathered, other than they went to their ship as planned. Given the incomplete names, little more is likely to be found.

Jan 29, 2001
An interesting sidenote to this..."LINER BREMEN SIGHTS 100 OR MORE BODIES"..."The Captain said...several of the bodies were lashed to doors and gratings, denoting the desperate fight they had made for life. It was noticeable that the bodies sighted by the Bremen all had on life preservers, except some of those lashed to pieces of wood, which answered the same purpose".

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

H

Hydie Cheung

Hi! My name is Hydie and I am new to this forum. I have been visiting this site for a year already. Such a cool site! I always have this question in my head. Are there any information regarding to the eight Chinese passengers in the third class? Since I was born in Hong Kong, I have a special feeling on these poor souls who were suffering in that terrible disaster in 1912. The only info I know about them is that they were from Hong Kong and they worked as firemen. Does anyone has more information about them?? It would helps. Just out of my curiosity.

Thanks!!

- Hydie

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Hydie, welcome to our merry band. The Chinese firemen were going to join their ship in the US. I don't seem to have the name of the ship but I have some basic information about some of the men. It's not very legible, so I'll try to make sense of it and pass it on. There really isn't much known though.

H

Hydie Cheung

Thanks Dave! Actually I have tried to look for both Chinese and English records online but I couldn't find anything new. I guess it's because they are barely known on the ship, and most importantly, they are third-class passengers.

If anyone has any information, feel free to share
happy.gif

- Hydie

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Hydie!

The ship that the Chinese passengers were intending to join was the Anetta of the Donald Steamship Co. They sailed on that vessel for the West Indies on April 20th.

All my best,

George

H

Hydie Cheung

^^ West Indies!! Hmm.. that's interesting.. Thanks a lot, George =D

- Hydie

H

Hydie Cheung

So that means they did come to the United States and stayed, huh? Hmmm.. or.. did they? Any extra info about their lives after the disaster?

- Hydie

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Hydie, I'm still working on this but the US records show that they had no intention of staying in the US. They are listed as "non-immigrant aliens". Their fares were paid by the Donald Steamship Company. They all originally came from Hong Kong but they seem to have been wandering workers. They gave their last address as London, England.

I'm still not happy with the names given on ET and I'm going to consult a Chinese friend.

H

Hydie Cheung

I see. Thanks for the information Dave! It's make much sense to me that they are wandering workers, for most of the people who took the job as a fireman at that time must be fairly poor.

And about the names, it's actually hard to check if they've changed them, for Chinese names often have different translations in English. Thanks a lot of looking up the info for me, Dave! I appreciate it! :D

- Hydie

Mar 28, 2002
I read somewhere that one of these Chinese men was last known to be living in the north of England and running a restaurant up until the 1960's. It's likely not true though.

Cheers,

Boz

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
A deleted scene in the Jack/Rose film Titanic shows Fang Lang, a Chinese steerage passenger as being pulled from the water. Other sources say that his companions were crushed by passengers sitting on top of them in lifeboats after they hid.

Can anyone tell me more of these sailors? It seems like a miracle that Fang survived and alot of his companions didn't in the sinking.

H

Hydie Cheung

Wow~ Thanks Boz~ That's very interesting. I am surprise that you guys can get their news, since there are only a very limited info of them after the disaster. Thanks a lot~!

Love,
Hydie

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
A deleted scene in the Jack/Rose film Titanic shows Fang Lang, a Chinese steerage passenger as being pulled from the water. Other sources say that his companions were crushed by passengers sitting on top of them in lifeboats after they hid.
Not one of them was "crushed", it is only a false claim.

Can anyone tell me more of these sailors?
In all they were 8, travelling on the same ticket and going to New York to join their ship Annetta. I am sure you will find some more information when going into the biography section.

It seems like a miracle that Fang survived and alot of his companions didn't in the sinking.
Of the eight it were six who survived (one was in lifeboat No. 13, one rescued by No. 4 from the water and the others were in collapsible C).