Any info about 8 Chinese passengers on titanic?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
So far nobody seems to have turned up a primary source. My Chinese correspondent tells me that he has found very little about the Titanic affair in the Hong Kong press and certainly no mention of the sailors.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's well established that the Chinese men were held on Carpathia overnight and taken to their ship Annetta by boat in the morning. See Debbie Beavis: Who Sailed on the Titanic. By doing this, they complied with the Chinese Exclusion Act to the letter. They never set foot on US soil. (It seems an earlier post of mine was incorrect).

The "putting in irons" sounds like an invention. Many sensational things were published soon after Carpathia arrived and they can't be trusted. Do you know that the lifeboats were menaced by a school of whales? A reporter did!

See my earlier posts for the difficulty of finding out anything much about the Chinese. Not even their proper names are known.

Bill Baird

Mar 16, 2017
It's well established that the Chinese men were held on Carpathia overnight and taken to their ship Annetta by boat in the morning. See Debbie Beavis: Who Sailed on the Titanic. By doing this, they complied with the Chinese Exclusion Act to the letter. They never set foot on US soil. (It seems an earlier post of mine was incorrect).

The "putting in irons" sounds like an invention. Many sensational things were published soon after Carpathia arrived and they can't be trusted. Do you know that the lifeboats were menaced by a school of whales? A reporter did!

See my earlier posts for the difficulty of finding out anything much about the Chinese. Not even their proper names are known.
Thanks Dave. I really knew nothing about these six/eight until yesterday. I read that they were held overnight on Carpathia and also that they were taken to Ellis Island. I certainly suppose they could have arranged for a small vessel to take them to Ellis, but it seems like that might have made one of the other survivors comment and I have not seen anything about that anywhere. Unless I can dig up more info, I guess I will just be pretty vague on their treatment if I put it in my book. Just one of the elevnty billion other unsolved and contentious points of this whole Titanic world.

Andrew Y Liu

Sep 4, 2006
i am really sorry about the title. but i think my sister was married to one of the colleagues' descendants who were on the titanic. I now live in Seattle Washington. My sister lives in Virginia with her second husband. My brothers believe he is one of them because his last name is Yang and he said one of his ancestors was a person named Fang Lang. Please help.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The only information ET has on Mr. Fang Lang is at https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/961/

It doesn't say anything about him settling in the United States but it appears to me that it's not likely that he did so. He was a seaman who was traveling with seven others, probably with an eye towards getting home or meeting another ship.

There may be a passenger person around who knows otherwise so stay tuned for any additional posts.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The eight Chinese on Titanic were all firemen or trimmers who were going to join a ship called Annetta in New York. Two were lost in the sinking. (The ship's name is incorrectly spelled in the US inquiry).

The other six never set foot in the USA, being barred by the Chinese Exclusion Act. They were held overnight on Carpathia and taken to Annetta next day. There is thus no evidence for them settling in America in 1912.

Chinese friends have helped me research them and we have concluded that the case is pretty hopeless. Some of the names are reversed, with the surnames last, western style. All are incomplete, as all are missing one syllable or more. The home addresses given to US immigration authorities appear to be corrupted versions of Cantonese words.

It's not a hopeful tale and I'd be very cautious of any undocumented claims of connections with the Chinese men.

All this happened only 94 years ago. Tracing family trees back that far is not hard. Begin at the claimed descendant and work back.

gddrskcd

Mar 21, 2012
Hey! My name is Xu zhen. I’m a journalist from Beijing, China, and now working on a report about 8 Chinese passengers on Titanic.

It’s not a surprise that little information related to them since they were third-class passengers and other reasons. But I’ve already made some progress on digging their experience on Titanic, especially the six survivors. The limited official documents really helped a lot.

While more questions are remind to be discovered. I list the following questions that might be helpful for my research. I would be so appreciate that any of you can help me with any of them. Please feel free to sand me any information. Xuzhen0925@gmail.com

1) I found a post in old forum titled Any Info Regarding to the 8 Chinese Passengers. One Chinese survivor’s grandson whose name is Tom K. Fong once appeared and wrote on this post in 2004. Tom provided so much valuable information about his grandfather Fang Lang, but the conversation was ended in a sudden. I know it’s been 8 years and it’s very difficult to find the Tom back (his ID is unavailable now). But I still want a try. Is it possible that any of you might know his email or other ways that I can contact him?
As for your information:
Any info regarding to the 8 Chinese passengers??

2) There also a book The Loss of The S.S.Titanic, written by Lawrence Beesley. I happened to find one of the Chinese survivors naming Choong Foo were on lifeboat 13, the same lifeboat as the author Lawrence boarded. Unfortunately, it's not easy for me to get this book in China, so would it be possible that any of you who has the book to find any information about this Chinese guy?

3) Another book would also be helpful A Night to Remember written by Walter Lord. Would it be possible that any of you might has a digital version?

It’s really not easy to find more information about these Chinese guys, but I hold the view that their stories were also deserved to be told.

Many thanks again!
And my email address again: xuzhen0925@gmai.com

p.s. Thank you Bob Godfrey and Dave Gittins, you’ve helped a lot!!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'd back Debbie's account. I don't have her book, but I've read it and she gives proper sources for her story. The Secretary for Commerce and Labor, Charles Nagel, went to New York and ordered his officials to minimise red tape, so nobody went to Ellis Island. It would make sense for the Chinese to be taken to their ship by boat, which was both convenient and in accordance with US law.