Any stories of "The one that got away"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Im pounding my head...A vg shape hardcover 1912 Journal of Commerce book on the British Titanic Inquiry was within my grasp, yet I was outbid on Ebay....Ive been after this one since 1987...

Another tale of the one that got away was in Toronto , after a weekend off from the Titanic exhibit, one of the staff renting the headsets said a couple came in from Nova Scotia with a car full of wood they claimed was recovered by the Makay Bennet..as the wood was broken,this staff member told them it was probrolly worthless. Of course he didnt get their number.
AHHH!!

Tarn Stephanos

May 9, 2000
Some years ago I had an old 1912 newspaper. To protect it from the hands of my lovely little daughter I kept it in my office. To protect it from all other possible "dangers" I had put the big flat paper package between two tables. Then I was on vacation for two weeks. Exactly in that time - after ten years!! - the other members of the office decided to install a new floor. It happened in the week before I returned. The unopened big flat paper package with my 1912 newspaper inside somehow disappeared among all the garbage that was taken out for getting a new and beautyful office...

Best regards
Henning

Dec 7, 2000
Tarn,

Great topic! I have one which I have been pissed off about ever since it happened! There was a 2nd class Olympic deck plan offered on ebay. I think it was either 1920 or at least some early 1920's year. I have NEVER seen a 2nd class deck plan for the Olympic and was quite excited about this item.

I bid and was the highest bidder at some $70 odd -- which I thought was very reasonable for this rare item. I e-mailed the sellet to let them know I was from Australia and to inquire about international shipping costs.

Then I get an e-mail from them saying that apparently they do not deal with international bidders and that this was stated on the auction (which I did not see in any case, even when I went to double check) and that the seller has already given it away to the 2nd highest bidder.

I was SOOOO pee'd off because it sliped away from me right under my nose and there was nothing I could do to organise any alternatives! The seller promised a copy but no matter how often I tried to e-mail him I was ignored. I didn't even leave a negative comment :-(

Daniel.

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Daniel
if that happens again, let me know, get it through me...

I hope you left the guy bad feedback...

Another one that got away was a MINT condition "truth About The Titanic' by Archibald gracie, 1913, in the rare green colored cover.
The local antiquarian bookshop where Ive been shopping at since 1983 held the book for me, but I passed on it.
..I already had a copy..the maroon version, and in worse shape. But back then the idea of upgrading never occoured to me, and i didnt realize then how rare the green Gracies are...

Tarn Stephanos

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Tarn, I thought for sure you had the Journal
of Commerce book for sure, sorry that you got
outbid. I keep kicking myself , for not getting
"Oceans Greatest Tragedy" from you, when you had
it for sale, I opted instead to purchase, Lady
Duff Gordon's book , "Discretions and Indiscretions", instead. But to make up for not
getting Ocean's Greatest Tragedy, I was able to
get Charles V.A. Eley's book-" How to save a big
ship from sinking" ,cc 1915, signed by the author,
which discusses the Lusitania,Victoria and Titanic. A very scarce book. But again, I was
rooting for you on the Journal of Commerce book.
Patty

Mar 20, 2000
Patty Miller: "I opted instead to purchase, Lady
Duff Gordon's book , "Discretions and Indiscretions", instead."

I think you made a very wise choice in your purchase!
happy.gif

Randy

Nov 23, 1996
Tarn:

I will give you a good one that got away.

Several years ago in the days prior to E-bay and the major intrenet sites. I was on Prodigy and had a classified ad stating I was interested in Ocean Liner material.

I was contacted by an antique's dealer in Miami, Florida stating he has five dinner plates with the White Star Logo on them (Pre-"Titanic" movie and all the copies) I contacted him for the details and price. He sent me back the information on the five plates - they were all from the Standard second class service on White Star Liners - Red logo and band. His price was $50.00. I sent him a certified check that day via Express Mail for them and he received it and indicated to me that they would be shipped out on Saturday.

But I never got them his assistant sold them to a customer who saw them sitting on his desk awaiting shipment to me. I was informed of this and was quite pissed off so to say. I was refunded my $50.00 and the express mail costs and was sent an Aquitania Brass Ashtray as a consolation for the deal going bad. And I have kept in contact with this dealer over the years and purchased numerous other ocean liner items.

Now for the E-bay story - A few years back I bid on an original Cunard White Star Poster showing a split image of the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth (very rare poster) I won this poster for $175.00 however, prior to it being mailed to me the dealers shop and the original poster went up in smoke during a fire.

Jul 20, 2001
After My Grant mother passed away in 1990 and we were cleaning out the house. my father was being very careful and looking at everything. He remembered being shown a newspaper from 1912 with an article about the Titanic, he had been shown at some stage years before.

As careful as we were we never found the newspaper and considering the things we did find we couln't understand where it had gone. Afterall we found my mothers tax returns from 1955, so my grand mother wasn't one for throwing things away.

We also asked my auntie Peg if she recalled it. She said it was a copy of the London Times and was sent to My Greatgrandmother due to an article about the engineers that was in it (her brother-in-law was William Mackie).

Years later, after the Titanic movie came out we were discussing it and she said she wouldn't like to watch the movie as it would be too sad for her as she still remembered her uncle bill. She was 6 at the time of the sinking and our family had moved to Australia in November 1911. She then said the she had the last letter written buy him to my Greatgrandmother and asked if I would like it. needless to say I said yes and have the letter as pride of place in my Titanic collection.

Oct 13, 2000
the one that got away from me was Susanne Störmer's first Murdoch biography. to this day I don't know what alternate dimension I ended up in for long enough that I missed the sale of this book when it was first published. but apparently I was, as I missed it completely! then to make matters worse, British bookseller Richard Foster had not one, but two copies for sale a few years ago, and I managed to miss them too! (at least I have the consolation of knowing both copies went to good homes).

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Michael
I wish I knew you were after that one, I sold one on Ebay a few months ago...

Patty, i once had a copy of the Journal Of Commerce Titanbic book,albiet a battered copy, but traded it for soimthing else
..A trade I now regret...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Tarn, as good as you are at getting Titanic books,
I think you will recuperate, and eventually
get all the books back you sold.It is good to
see you back.
-----------------------------------------
I think you made a very wise choice in your purchase!

Randy

And Randy, I totally agree with you. I really have
enjoyed owning and reading Lady Duff Gordon's book. She was a wild card for sure, and later
Sir Cosmos Duff Gordon, divorced her, for a few
"affairs" she had.She was a unique person, who
did indeed start a few trends in the "modeling
and clothing " world. Patty

Mar 20, 2000
Patty,

Glad you've enjoyed Discretions and Indiscretions. Lucile was indeed a "wild card." The Duff Gordons, however, were never divorced. And the info as to her affairs must be from my article on her as she doesn't mention that in her book. You're right, though, that Cosmo left her over one particular dalliance. Sad situation there.

Best wishes,

Randy

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Randy... re Lady Duff Gordon. Oops on my part,
you are indeed correct about her not being divorced. Just estranged. I am only halfway
through with the book, but am looking forward to
finishing it. I started on hers, then went to
Arthur Rostron's book, "Home from the Sea", somehow, got to reading Clive Cussler's books,
at work, won't take my old valuable books to work,
then I want to start on the "It Girls" which
is about her also. Sorry for the faux-paux.

Mar 20, 2000
Patty,

Good luck in your reading. Sounds like you have quite a selection.

"The 'It' Girls" is a bit slim on detailed (and factual) info on Lucile's career but her private life is explored well enough. I'm a stickler so the errors and gaps that I see in it make me want to wince. However, I do recommend the book (but only as a primer for mine!)

Best,
Randy

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Randy, I could see by skimming through the "It
Girls" that it focused mainly on her personal
life. Talk about books to read, I have over 200
Titanic books to read, then bought some Arthur O.
Clarke books , Jacques Futrelle,Hubbard,Archibald
Butt's books, as well as books on Marconi,a book
by Philip Mauro (who was on Carpathia) , Morgan
Robertson's autograph series,books on the
Guggenheims, Lightoller,etc. and all of the
books/articles from Arthur Rostron. I have been
so busy collecting old books, I really need
to concentrate on reading them. I need to crack
down and start. Time lately has not been on my
side. I need to retire so I can finish my books. (LOL).Unfortunately, that is a ways off.
Take care, Patty

Jun 4, 2000
Mike T on the first Stormer Murdoch book -"...at least I have the consolation of knowing both copies went to good homes.." I must say I have to agree with that on at least one count.
happy.gif

Tarn, I agree with Patty. Trust in your 'book luck' to hold true and see all those books return to you, possibly in better condition and more desirable editions. I've had that happen a few times, particularly on some that I thought had got away for ever (see above ref to the Murdoch book).

Patty, ditto on 'so many books, so little time' too. The piles of Titanic books just keep getting higher and higher, particularly as I'm not a 'purist' in my Titanic literary interests.

Most recent 'one that got away' was a Forshaw that I just couldn't afford/justify. Sniff. One day, I keep telling myself, one day.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
Fiona, I believe your "one day" will come. It
seems just when, I think a book will never
resurface, somehow it does. Mine was "the Ocean's
Greatest Tragedy" and at one point, Rostron's
"Home from the Sea". I had looked for "Home from
the Sea", for over 5 years, then all of a sudden
they started popping up on Ebay, ABEBOOKS.COM.
So, your book will come back to you.

Patty

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Books do have a serendipitous habit of turning up in odd, out of the way places, Patty...almost as if they were waiting to jump off the shelf and into the right hand. All through my childhood my mother told me stories out of a book of Papua New Guinea tales compiled by a missionary. She had lived there, and the stories captured the PNG she had known perfectly. However, to her deep regret, she had loaned the book and it was never returned. One day we were browsing the rather mediocre pickings in a second hand bookshop on the Central Coast - I'd given up on finding anything I wanted, when there was a small but clear cry of triumph behind me. Having looked for this obscure title for decades, it had turned up in this out of the way place.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Every once in awhile, I like to pop into some used bookshops to see what's on the shelves. It's often surprising to see what turns up there too. There's a place called Bentley's on Main Street in Greenville that has a copy of Commander C.R. Vernon Gibbs "Passneger Liners of the Western Ocean" second edition on the shelves. I don't know what's it's value is to collectors. but I got it for $15.00

I'm not complaining!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.