Any tips on how where and when to get the bcheap seatsb on QM2 or QE2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
I have only been on 1 cruise, and am not sure how to go about getting the cheapest fare...
Id like to sail QM2 within 2 years, but id prefer to pay the lowest fare (somthing under $2000)

Any tips on how and where to buy tix for the QM2 or QE2 at lowest cost?

The only tip Im certain of is winter is the cheapest time to sail...

Any surplus discount ticket sellers that exist, or is my best bet going straight through Cunard?

Thanks

TCS

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Hi Tarn.

Any tips on how and where to buy tix for the QM2 or QE2 at lowest cost?
I think you need to do "The Cunard Salute": you start by standing on your right foot, begin hopping around, counterclockwise, and singing both "Rule Britannia" and "God Save the Queen".
You can substitute the tunes with "America the Beautiful" and "God Bless America", but only while wearing a basketball uniform (you choose the team), and standing in central Buffalo (NY) in January or February.
evil.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

The only tip Im certain of is winter is the cheapest time to sail...
Yeah, I think a January to March North Atlantic crossing would be super cheap. And they may even include a month's visit to both Nanisivik and Arctic Bay, Baffin Island, Canada.
I just need to see if "My Canadian Contact" is willing to head up there for a week; he might have some "creative suggestions", but that's off-topic.
evil.gif
grin.gif

You might even receive a greater discount for the "Inland Greenland Tour".

Any surplus discount ticket sellers that exist, or is my best bet going straight through Cunard?
You might try eBay, but I think, for now, Cunard is your best choice. Cheap Tickets might have you staying just above the engines.
wink.gif

"Time to sign off now"!!
grin.gif

Jan 7, 2002
Hi John
I might fancy singing
.."there'll always be an England"..
Call me strange, but Id be content sleeping inside an unlit boiler,inside a hollow mast, or napping on a cot inside a propellor shaft....
Just as long im on board...
As long as I have my trusty harmonica, a bit of ale and a box of Ginger Snaps, ill be right as rain...
I know Ebay sells travel tix, but I did not relize they sold Cunard tix...

Thanks

tarn stephanos

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi John,

"I just need to see if "My Canadian Contact" is willing to head up there for a week; he might have some "creative suggestions", but that's off-topic."

LOL! You've got to be kidding!!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I have seen Caronia tickets on sale on ebay at US$1200 (if I remember correctly) before but not QE2 or QM2.

(Maybe QM2 is too new)

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I was also going to note that eBay is a "long-shot" as far as obtaining tickets for Cunard excursions, and I'd be super-cautious about anyone claiming to sell QE2 or QM2 tickets there, right now.

Id be content sleeping inside an unlit boiler,inside a hollow mast, or napping on a cot inside a propellor shaft....
Just as long im on board...
More likely you would be on the closet shelves, in the Galleys, perhaps by the desserts (as a fringe benefit).
grin.gif

As long as I have my trusty harmonica, a bit of ale and a box of Ginger Snaps, ill be right as rain...
Just so long as it's the Rock Bottom Brewery's Molly Brown Ale.
Also, you might have to be prepared to encounter the "Jack Benny replies", re: the harmonica:
T.S.: "Would you be willing to pay me to play a tune on my trusty harmonica"?
Passenger/Crew Member: "I'd be willing to pay you NOT to play a tune on that harmonica"!!
grin.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

"Time to Head to Work!!!"

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Try a local travel agent who specializes in cruises. They make their living on the ins and outs of package deals and discounts. I got my QE2 tickets cheaper than the Cunard 'rack rate' online. It was in February, but we were going to New Zealand.

It was a wonderful trip. I'd do it again in a heart beat. If you've already been on a Cunard cruise they will give a discount on top of that I believe.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Tarn- a bit of advice from someone who has been there. The absolute best deals on cabins aboard QM2 are those 'outsides' furthest forward on the lower decks. They do not have balconies, probably because of the spray factor, but have extensive floor space because the balcony area has been incorporated into the cabin. The result is an improbably large budget cabin.

About the balconies: we heard a lot of complaints aboard concerning the balconies in the cabins located below the boat deck. They are not balconies in the usual sense of the word, but instead are seating areas facing a large window shaped cut-out in the hull of the ship. They allow a lot of light and fresh air into the cabin, which is a plus, but restricted views- when you are on your deckchair the cut out is above you and your view consists of the inner side of the hull.

The best way of getting a 'deal' is by booking early. If you have a job which allows you to take time off far in advance, book your cabin as soon as the new fare brochures come out- you get the widest range of choices AND an early booking discount in most cases. If you already have a working relationship with a travel agent, do as I do- tell him or her the dates you wish to travel, and have him or her book your cabin at 9AM the day the new rates are made public. It requires leaving your credit card number on file for the deposit, but it ALWAYS gets you the cabin you want.

Subscribe to an online travel company like Mytravelco. They email you fantastic deals on unsold cabins, but the catch is you have to book relatively last minute which, again, requires a flexible schedule.

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the advice Jim!
Its very very helpfull...

Ill definatly check out that MyTravelco site...
Now that time has passed and your wounds healed, how would you rate your adventure on the QM2?

I hope the fiasco that presented itself on the QM2 will not happen on the Queen Victoria..

Being a stowaway is an interesting idea Mike...
Im left to wonder, with a ship of the QM2's size, i wonder if anyone stayed on her maiden voyage who did not have tickets? I suspect the security measures eleiminated the stowaway factor...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
How would I rate the experience?
Food (Dining room) *
Food (Todd English) ****
Service (Cabin) ****
Service (Todd English) ****
Service (anywhere else) **
Interior layout ****
Interior decor ***
Value for money 1/2 *
Entertainment **
Maiden voyage "perks" 1/2*
Ports visited **
Disembarkation 0*
Lived up to expectations *1/2
Fellow passengers ****

(Which averages out to be ** In short, thoroughly mediocre.)

Would I use Cunard again? No.
Would I recommend this ship at the present
time? No.
Would I recommend this ship in a season or two
after the kinks are ironed out? Perhaps.

In short- the cruise was grossly overpriced, the service was mediocre, the experience in no way reflected what was implied and directly stated in the brochures and ads and I feel as if I was 'suckered.' However, the ship is beautiful, the passengers a remarkable lot (on that voyage at least) and there were just enough crewmen like our steward, Steven Lennox, to save the voyage from a total 0* rating. I was surprised at how many people tolerated poor service and mediocre food because "it's a maiden voyage" and "it's Cunard." Found myself wanting to say "If you were in the Plaza and the service was on THIS level would you say 'but it's the PLAZA!' as if somehow we owe the hotel respect for letting us pay to stay there?"

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Anyone knows whether the level of service on the QE2 is as 'bad' as the QM2 as reported by Jim?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Jeremy: No, it isn't. That was what was most puzzling about the whole mess aboard QM2- Cunard went to great lengths to fill the ship with repeat customers, and in the 12 days I spent interviewing people I did not find a single one who thought QM2 represented an improvement. The standard comment was that QE2 is "plasticy" and dated looking in places, but has a remarkable personality and flawless service, while the QM2 is beautiful but "not likely to generate repeat business." Similar remarks were made Caronia vs QM2. So I fail to understand why Cunard made the effort to insure that many if not most of the passengers were 'repeats' (previous customers were given at least a month's headstart on purchasing the tickets) and, in the 16 months which elapsed between then and the voyage did not hire and properly train a service staff. Apologists on the ship offered the fact that QM2 was not delivered until December 26 as a rationalisation, but I don't accept that at all- basic training could well have been done on shore and intensive fine tuning on the ship during the intervening two weeks between delivery and sailing. And perhaps it was, but it did not show. Waitresses in Denny's, who cope with a larger crowd and considerably heavier work load, are expected to be proficient in less time than the QM2 staff had to learn the ropes, and are cut less 'slack' if they fail, so I was not about to be gracious in accepting that the ship, which I paid 1/4 of an entire year's wage to be aboard, was obviously short staffed and the staff aboard not yet ready for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.