Any Updates on the Condition of the Wreck

Robert Berg

Jan 2, 2005
I've been away for awhile, and really haven't been able to keep on the latest info. I was wondering, are there any updates on the condition of the wreck as of April 15, 2009?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Dec 6, 2000
According to Ken Marschall at the THS Convention on the Queen Mary on April 4, the last expedition to the wreck was 2005.

If I remember correctly.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
You're right, Bill. This was the Cameron "Last Mysteries..." cruise, which also featured Tony Robinson and Rob Goldsmith's trips.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Just contact the Russians and inquire who's hired the MIRS.
You can be sure it will be something to do with trashing the ships design.
If TITANIC had had better rivets it would have sank 4" minutes later ! ! !

Bill Sauder

Dec 19, 2000
It may have slipped Ken's mind, but I'm sure the last mission to Titanic was Michael Harris' trip on the Keldish, right after the Cameron mission. I don't know if anything substantive was accomplished.

The problem for 2012 is who is available to go. The US Navy and the French have backed away from Titanic work, leaving an open field for the Russian MIRs because of Russia's need for hard currency. Today's weak dollar, political problems with a newly totalitarian Russia, and reassignment of the MIRs to Russian national security operations makes the whole issue of how to get down there a problem.

Dec 6, 2000
Bill,

I don't think Ken was talking about WHO went to the Titanic in 2005! Though we know Cameron did.

From what I heard at the THS convention, the Keldish is no longer available, having been converted to some other kind of ship (my memory is saying passenger ship, though that could easily be wrong), and the MIRs are off being used somewhere else. In short, as Bill says, the equipment is not able to go there anymore!

Jan 29, 2001
Yes Mr. Sauder, I believe you are correct in regards to Michael Harris. My ex-employer's wife brought me a VHS taped interview, from a Christian channel, with Mr. Harris. However, very short, the MIRS and some brief segments of his dive were shown.
BTW, your insight into the *smell* of the wreck caught my interest. You are the first person that I am aware of who talks of the rotten smell down there!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
More like the available equipment is not able to go there. The MIRs appear to be spoken for by way of prospecting for oil and other resources in the Arctic. Unless somebody can offer the Russians a sweeter deal then they can get by being able to claim billions of barrels of oil reserves, I doubt they'll be taking anybody's phone calls.

That leaves very few possible contenders who have submerisibles capable of going down to the wreck.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
See http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/11/new-metal-eating-bacteria-found-on-titanic/?hpt=C2

A new form of deep-sea bacteria has been identified, and this bacteria is said to be, truly, corroding and consuming the ship's metal.

The theory is that the Titanic will be gone before the year 2025

[Moderator's notes: 1. This post and the second last post below, have been merged with this one. 2. Please do not create a new thread, when there is already an existing thread. JDT]

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
As I said in the new thread, predicting the complete degradation of the wreck by 2025 may be pushing things a bit far. Still, this bug obviously isn't bothered by the cold and it has quite the food source with 45,000 tons of hull to feast on. One has to wonder however if halomonas titanicae is attacking other wrecks. The Bismarck had some very noticable rusticals clinging to the hull when she was first located.